Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
We have just changed our motorhome for a Rimor Super Brig 728. I need to transfer my Solar Panel from the old van onto the Rimor. I do not want to disturb the old fixing brackets as this may cause a problem for its new owner. I have been looking for an efficient but reasonably priced method of fixing the new panel with little success.
Can anyone suggest a supplier who would charge less than £40.00 for either 4 metal L shaped brackets or 4 Plastic corner brackets.:whatthe:

Cheers.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just went to my local hardware shop and bought a 1mtr length of alumunium angle for about £3 and used a hack saw to cut it to size. I cut it to the length of the short edge of the panel one for each end then used 4 self tappers into the panel itself. Worked a treat and nice and solid on the van.

OP
OP
cydersyd

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Thanks GEO, your link to got me just what I needed. They have a mass of useful motorhome bits and you can sell your own bits and pieces on their site too.
Certainly one for the "Favourites Box"

Graham

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Body Flexing, Solar Panels protection?

Mounting Solar Panels FLEXIBLE MOUNT ?

I asked my local steel stock holder to cut some short lengths of aluminium L shape angle. Sikaflax equivalent s/s bolts to panel and self tapers to roof. Everything works really well. I have recently been giving a a little more thought. If I change my Amethyst I will leave the panels on it to add value, but I will rethink my fixing. I will probably use some rubber bushes between the L section and the panel to allow some flexing. The MH body must flex and the solar panels are solid, therefore I would guess that it would be prudent to allow for the flexing.
Any thoughts on this?

Reminder!
I anyone is thinking of removing anything attached with Sikaflex, try some fishing line attached to a couple of pieces of dowel, slide the line under the mounting plate and use a sawing motion and the nylon line will cut straight through the Sikaflex.
Brian.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Great advice about using fishing line...

With all the fishing done on Fun there is a lot of it about...

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
cydersyd

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Hi Brian, the onlt thought about the rubber bushes is yes they will flex but in flexing may allow moisture to work its way underneath perhaps lessening the effects of the sikaflex compound.

Surely the answer is in the name. It is a product that will Flex with minor movement?

Really like the removal method the Gut idea sounds great.

Last edited:

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Flexible Mounting.

When the brackets are stuck to the roof and also self tapers are used, there can can be no flexing.
If I do change I will have a flexible connection between the bracket and the panel. Something like a small version of an old type of engine mounting. Steel/rubber/steel.

I thought of this after seeing glass "tell tales". They are pieces of glass screwed over cracks to check if a building is moving or subsiding. But of course we don't want our panels to crack.

If I didn't make the description of removing a Sikaflexed item clear, just think Cheese Wire but with fishing line.

Brian.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back