Solar Panel Fitting

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by trevtherev, Jun 22, 2015.

1. trevtherev

trevtherev Read Only Funster

Bought a 100 watt solar panel kit locally and would welcome any advice on fitting and installing to the MH. Am a bit concerned about fitting cables through the roof and the position of the control box, should this be close to the battery or where it could be seen easily. Any tips welcome.

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Controller should be as close to the battery as is practical as you still want to be able to see it and get to it.

Make sure you can get the cables to and from the position on the roof where you are planning on going through.

Then have a search on here for solar panel fitting as there is lots of advice.

Martin

3. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

Have a look at the great detailed advice from Techno100 in the Solar section and you won't go wrong at all
    He has been a superb help for me as I installed our panels last week
    Ian

4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Have a read through the solar section.. Most stuff has already been covered there at one time or another..
    Take some time to plan where your cables will go before you start anything..

That moment of drilling through your van for the first time is a killer !!!!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

And you discover alarmingly how thin the roof membrane actually is when you depend on it for so much!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

I'm thinking of doing this too, but I'm a little worried :eek: Does anyone have any photo's of how they get the cables from the roof to the control box & batteries. Access to our batteries is either from outside or from inside under the double dinette seats. I don't want any wires or trunking showing in the MH at all, is this possible?

Thanks Antony

7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

You are in a better position to establish that given that it's your van. You need to study it. No one just turns up knowing what goes where time has to be spent surveying the possibilities.