Solar panel conundrum

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Diabalo, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I have a solar panel that charges the hab battery and from there a Vanbitz battery master that charges the vehicle battery. Now with these long nights and being under trees the hab battery it fine but the vehicle battery is suffering, so I have put the solar panel straight to the vehicle battery, so for so good, now my qeustion is is there a way I can switch the solar from hab to Vehicle with out keep unplugging the wires etc and keep the Vanbitz batterymaster hooked up to the hab battery, I bet your well confused now, I am:Rofl1:

2. Terry

Terry Funster

I take it that it charges the L/B then the engine B ? if so wire it the other way around so that it charges the engine battery first then any extra charge to the L/B
    :Wink:
    terry

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

very simple really just take the ouput from the regulator to a two way double pole switch with two sets of tails one to each battery make sure you use Large dia cable to prevent losses

• Like Like x 1
  4. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I suppose the Vanbitz battery master just becomes redundent when it's switched over to the vehicle battery or I suppose I cold switch that also but it's getting a bit complicated all round then.

Terry I could do what you say but when out and about I would need the hab battery charged first and Im not sure at what amp rate the Vanbitz gizmo works at, so I may not put back what I have used overnight quickly enough.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I would suggest that the battery master is not connected correctly.
    It is designed to draw charge from the leisure battery while ever the engine battery is half a volt less than the leisure battery. Therefore it should never read more than half a volt less than the hab battery

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Dane :BigGrin: I am not the best with leccy things but if your L/B was full then it should divert to the E/B :thumb: therefore if wired the other way around when E/B is full it would divert to charging the L/B --if your van is not moving then the E/B should be fully charged because you will not have taken any charge out of it IE starting engine etc so it would switch to chargin L/B :thumb:
    If that does not work then do it the simple way by fitting a relay to charge the L/B WHILE ENGINE IS RUNNING as well as the stater -E/B and fitting a switch so that you can tell it which battery to charge - thus eliminating the battery master - then you can send it to me and I will fit it or I should say my mate will fit it for me and then I will tell you if it works on my van :BigGrin:
    terry

7. Techno

There is so much confusion here
    The battery master (eddie vanbitz) does not depend on batteries being FULL that is how a CBE CSB2 works!
    A battery master will send 1 amp charge from the leisure battery to the engine battery while ever the engine battery is half a volt lower THE LEVEL OF CHARGE IS IRRELEVANT

ASK Eddie!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Andy

Mine doesn't work like that I had 12.8 on the hab bat and 12.2 on the engine bat .6 volt difference and the Battery Master was not transfering any charge, it only did it when I put the hazards on. On the blurb that comes with it it says that when there is a significant voltage difference it will charge the other battery, don't know what significant means in real terms.
    I have to say it does the biz when out in full sun but the voltage to the hab bat is well up.

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Well if that's the case he should send it to me because he obviosly has not got it wired/working right :BigGrin:
    I think Dane may well have a battery that is dying - if the engine battery is not holding charge it will keep dragging the charge from the L/B if it is wired correctly
    Don't be a tight ass Dane get both batts checked :thumb:the engine batt should hold charge for at least a week even with alarms etc on (a lot longer with the solar)
    terry

10. Techno

speak to Eddie then its not doing its job

11. Terry

Terry Funster

At 12.2 the engine batt is well down on charge :Eeek:it may well be time for a new one -- who has the list on charge rates for battery's ? IF memory is right 12.2 is almost knackered :Sad:
    terry

12. Techno

Yes I confirm that the current instructions say that but I'm convinced they used to say half a volt :Eek!:

13. Techno

14. Ash

Ash Trader - Service & Repairs Life Member

Hi Dane
    why not buy a duel regalator so you can have 50% on leisure and 50% on engine thats what we have and it works well.:thumb::thumb:

15. Techno

One of the major sellers of this now lists it as BMV2 which suggest version 2? with different instructions.

16. Techno

Good idea Ash but BMV2 or whatever is £70 and british made :Doh:

17. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Nothing wrong with batteries the engine batt is a Varta silverline 100ah, it's been back and been checked with nothing wrong, the hab batt is also new and holds a charge no probs. The Vehicle has a 160 ma drain, so you can see it don't take long for it to drop down. Not sure why the drain is so high but Eddie Vanbitz thinks it may be due to the fact I have bypassed the Ignition to keep the radio alive, apparently when you do this an auto shut off relay stays powered up all the time and Eddie is going to speak to his techno bloke to see if there is a way round it. failing that I will put the radio back as it was.

The solar is struggling to keep up coz I'm in the shade a bit where it's stored so I put the solar to the engine battery instead of the hab battery to see if it's any better.

Me thinks I have conffused everyone:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Techno

Not arf :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  19. 1Oll

1Oll Read Only Funster

CAK BCM 12 linking charge switch.

I have a CAK Tanks gizmo that connects between the leisure and habitation batteries. around £30+ pounds, it's fully potted and waterproof. When leisure battery is fully charged by either solar or EHU, it trickle charges the vehicle battery.
    Three wires one to each battery and one to earth. It's tiny and takes a few minutes to fit. PAGE 90 CAK TANKS Catalogue. Details below.
    Had no problems in 18 months. I have no connection with CAK Ltd other than a very satisfied customer.

Details Below from CAK catalogue.

CAK Battery Charge Manager BCM12. Automatic charge switching device allows charging of the vehicle starting battery once the auxiliary battery is charged by hook-up charger or solar panel. Charge rate 0.1 to 4 A max. Allows better use of wasted solar panel charge by directing it to a second battery prevents flattening of start battery from having cab equipment running. LED illuminates to confirm unit has switched to charge. Size 80x50xD50mm
    27.53. +vat
    Regards Brian.

20. Techno

• Like Like x 1