Solar Panel connections ???

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by GRUMPY OLD GIT, Nov 4, 2012.

1. GRUMPY OLD GIT

GRUMPY OLD GIT Funster

I know this subject has been done to death but I need the team's advice on this one !!
    Have just fitted 2 x 85w solar panels on the roof of my van,the cables (4mm x 5m) are
    about 18" short of the battery.I've found :Wink:a short length of 6mm cable to make this
    up,questions,,can I joint the cables using a 30 amp terminal block ? Do I need a fuse
    between the regulator and battery ? if so what type and amp in the 6mm cable.
    I have a 20 amp LCD regulator which I was going to fit in the cargo bay near the battery
    but when the bay is loaded I won't be able to see it so have decided to put it in the
    wardrobe 2.5m from the battery,will this be ok ?I have 2 x 85amp Leisure batteries and
    intend to connect panels to one only,is this ok ?
    Sorry this is a bit long winded but I want to get it right before I connect up. :Doh:

Cheers Bob

2. aba

aba

hi 6mm cable will be fine to make up the length.
    30 amp terminal block will also be ok.
    a fuse is always a good thing between battery and anything connected to it as long as its as close to the battery as possible to protect the cabling.
    you can connect to 1 battery although balancing is better ie + on 1 battery - on second battery .
    the cable between the regulator and the batteries is the one where if its too thin you will get power loss so the shorter / thicker the better.

3. JRE

JRE Read Only Funster

You didn'y say whether you had instaled a regulator in the circuit before the batteries to control the charging. A necessary addition to protect the batteries.
    Also if your vehicle is also 2009 the constructor may have provided a facility to connect direct to their PSU. In this way you can charge both the leisure and the cab batteries, or as it's winter, the cab battery alone.