Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Hola
Does anyone know how to check if a solar panel is working. i have a 50w one attached to the roof of my Benimar europa 6000 (2002)
Can't see any connections inside but then assume they're hidden under ceiling lining.
I have no problem wiring a house but when it comes to 12v i have no idea except for simple wire runs.
Also where is best place to pick up perm. live line on Ducato 2.8 jtd year 2002 . I need to change cd player which is perm. connected at the moment(for use in caravan) When i change over to new cd player the live is disconnected when ignition is turned off.
:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your solar controller should show if its working.

another way.....ensure your not on hookup, check the battery voltage with a multi/volt meter when the sun isnt shining (thats just about anytime at the moment :Doh:) then check again when it is shining.

the voltage difference should be obvious.

Live supply.
you really need to find a permanant live in the fuse box and tap into that.
again, a multi meter will make life easier.

Ooops...just seen you are based in spain, RE sunshine......so possibly cover the panel (blanket, cardboard etc) and check voltage, then uncover and check again.

OP
OP
david and ann

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
your solar controller should show if its working.

another way.....ensure your not on hookup, check the battery voltage with a multi/volt meter when the sun isnt shining (thats just about anytime at the moment :Doh:) then check again when it is shining.

the voltage difference should be obvious.

Live supply.
you really need to find a permanant live in the fuse box and tap into that.
again, a multi meter will make life easier.

Ooops...just seen you are based in spain, RE sunshine......so possibly cover the panel (blanket, cardboard etc) and check voltage, then uncover and check again.
Many thanks pappajohn. Will try covering panel after disconnecting mains.Dont have a panel for solar panel, just voltage of batteries.
Also will use a fusebox live for new cd player. wasnt sure if there was a perm. live on ignition i should use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many thanks pappajohn. Will try covering panel after disconnecting mains.
Also will use a fusebox live for new cd player. wasnt sure if there was a perm. live on ignition i should use.
there will be a perm live on the ignition switch but you will still need a fuse in the new wire. :thumb:

possibly harder to connect to the fuse block, but it is the best option.

solar panel.....if the battery terminal is easy to reach then disconnect the live term and connect a meter to it, and the other lead to earth.
it should show around 17 volts and should fluctuate downwards a few volts.
maybe 17v ->14v -> 17v ->14v -> etc

no need to cover it then

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back