Solar maintainer

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by DM23, Jun 25, 2016.

1. DM23

DM23 Funster

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Well it certainly isn't going to give you much at 0.34 amp tops, i would guess its only going to make about 1 amp a day in the real world so it comes down to what level of parasitic drain there is on your battery when you are parked up. Is it the starter battery you are worried about or leisure, how long it takes the battery to go down to 12 volts would be an indication of the draw on it and how effective this little panel is going to be.

My guess = pretty useless unless very little drain.

Martin

3. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

It's generates Amps Output: 343mA - now on a good day I generate more power walking around the MH................. If you really want to go down this route go for a 50watt one that way at least you will get 2amps on a very sunny day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I go to Australia in Feb/Mar most years for 4-6 weeks.
    Every year until this year I've come back to a flat battery.
    This year, I plugged in one of these silly tiny solar panels into my obd port & left it on the dash.
    http://shop.theaa.com/store/home/car-battery-solar-charger
    Came back after 4 weeks & car started on first turn (y).
    So my "real life" experience is that to expect a small panel to 'charge' a flat battery is unrealistic - but to compensate for the tiny parasitic drains modern vehicles inevitably have, these panels produce just enough to keep a fully charged battery topped up.

5. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Another heads up is to be aware if your cigar lighter socket remains 'live' with ignition off.
    Which is why I chose one with an OBD input.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Any vehicle battery CANNOT be fully charged when it is running the locking system/alarm etc. The 343mA will not top up ANY battery that the system it is connect to draws amps...... (most modern cars draw up to1amp per day from a battery) So yes 4 weeks your car started, but I would think it was due to your car battery in good nick to start with.

7. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. DM23

DM23 Funster

I'm not particularly worried about either battery - if needed I can leave the van hooked to the mains in the garage but I'd prefer not to. I'm still learning how 12v systems and leisure batteries work - we don't pick the van up for a couple of weeks so I'm hoping it'll all become clearer once I get some practical experience (y)

I saw the panels in Costco for £36 and thought they looked like a good interim idea just to keep the batteries topped up whilst we're not using it - that's what the sales blurb seemed to be saying anyway. But sounds like it might be of marginal benefit. Maybe I'd be better putting the cash towards something else.

9. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

If you can leave the MH on EHU that would be the perfect way. All batteries must be kept in a fully charged state or they will die. When at home I leave them on charge via EHU and they are now running into year 4 and are as good as new. When you get round to fitting solar fit as many as you can allowing for weight.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DM23

DM23 Funster

EHU it is then....well at least if the suns shining we'll still be charging for free via the solar panels on the house :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Don't dismiss the idea of a small panel, you just need to get one about 20W. As long as it is connected correctly it will keep your vehicle battery topped up - as others have said.