Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
Converted van. 5 yrs exploring.
I am full time in my mh, travelling around France. I wouldn't say I,m economical with my LPG but I often wonder if there's a solar heating unit somewhere out there suitable for a motorhome. Anyone know of something?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Yes it's called the Sun but it's only available at certain times, apart from that you need gas.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you mean solar heating to give hot water? If so I guess a domestic system might be adapted but from memory they all use large well insulated water tanks to store the hot water. The whole system would be heavy and bulky I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Its probably not realistically viable. Even a large motorhome will typically only accommodate a max of around 500 Watts worth of photo voltaic panels, assuming (possibly in error but feel free to research and prove me wrong ) water heating panels to be similarly rated on a Watt/surface area basis you're going to struggle to generate any meaningful heat unless you're on the equator in mid July in which case you probably won't need heating at all. I have a 7 metre, very well insulated panel van conversion and in cold weather (5 deg C or less) it requires a minimum of 2KW heat input to maintain a reasonable temperature inside.

D.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
assuming (possibly in error but feel free to research and prove me wrong ) water heating panels to be similarly rated on a Watt/surface area basis you're going to struggle to generate any meaningful heat unless you're on the equator in mid July in which case you probably won't need heating at all.

It's a different type of system. Solar hot water is an indirect cylinder system with a cylinder full of an anti-freeze type solution which is pumped round the panels and the hot water heated via coils in the cylinder. It doesn't heat it to usable temperatures, just increases the ambient temperature so the primary heat source (boiler or whatever) doesn't have to do as much.

Even if such a system was viable for a motorhome the weight of it would be a killer.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
in warmer climes a lot of people use a black water container left out in the sun to supplement there hot water demands

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
in warmer climes a lot of people use a black water container left out in the sun to supplement there hot water demands

You see them a lot at festivals where they're called "solar showers"

Never used one so no idea if they're any good.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You see them a lot at festivals where they're called "solar showers"
Never used one so no idea if they're any good.

upload_2016-11-6_19-28-28.jpeg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
It's a different type of system. Solar hot water is an indirect cylinder system with a cylinder full of an anti-freeze type solution which is pumped round the panels and the hot water heated via coils in the cylinder. It doesn't heat it to usable temperatures, just increases the ambient temperature so the primary heat source (boiler or whatever) doesn't have to do as much.

Even if such a system was viable for a motorhome the weight of it would be a killer.
thats not quite true in hot sunny weather a good solar will get extremely hot which is why its usually mixed with cold for use
early direct systems suffered badly by overheating which is why they are now pumped so that flow can be stopped when its getting too much heat

only the coils a small header and panels contain glycol the cylinder is still filled with water
the biggest draw back for a motor home is they all work on bulk storage which would be impractical in a motor home

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

I understand all that, I was simply commenting on an energy level harvest point of view. Ignoring the weight issues you probably couldn't fit enough panel surface area to a motorhome to harvest sufficient energy to boil a kettle once a day never mind provide heat in meaningful levels.

D.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
thats not quite true in hot sunny weather a good solar will get extremely hot which is why its usually mixed with cold for use
early direct systems suffered badly by overheating which is why they are now pumped so that flow can be stopped when its getting too much heat

only the coils a small header and panels contain glycol the cylinder is still filled with water
the biggest draw back for a motor home is they all work on bulk storage which would be impractical in a motor home

A few years ago, when the systems were relatively new, a developer near here put systems in a couple of high end (bloody expensive) barn conversions. There was a manufacturing fault in the cylinders which caused the coils to corrode in a matter of weeks so that the glycol mixed with the fresh water. This made two things happen. The first one was that the tap water tasted of anti freeze. The second, and far more visually impressive, was that fresh water pumped around the panels. It happened to be winter so the panels full of fresh water froze and split. There was then a little warm snap, funnily enough over the Christmas holiday, where they thawed out again. The waterfall feature down the front of these new barn conversions was a sight to behold :rofl:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I understand all that, I was simply commenting on an energy level harvest point of view. Ignoring the weight issues you probably couldn't fit enough panel surface area to a motorhome to harvest sufficient energy to boil a kettle once a day never mind provide heat in meaningful levels.

D.

Absolutely. Unless, as you said, you happen to be sitting on the equator.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why would you drink from the hot tap.....hot and cold are isolated.

No idea. It wasn't my house. Perhaps they noticed it when showering?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I suppose you could use a black bag type solar shower on the roof and feed the pipe in through the washroom window. Only useful when its sunny though.

My brother has solar water heating on his roof in sunny Yorkshire and reckons it's great, a bit heavy for mobile use though.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
fitting an engine linked calorifier as used on boats would be a better idea

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got solar thermal panels at home
Great in the summer but less useful in the winter for heating.
A system linked to your engine heater would be a good solution - alternatively invest in decent window insulation - keep the warmth in

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back