Solar fuse ...remove or not? (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
I need to top up my leisure battery and was wondering if this can be done whilst the solar is still functioning. I have two batteries one is sealed and I am ashamed to say that after owning the van for over two years now I have just discovered that the one under the passenger seat needs maintenance!! (probably too late but worth a try) There is a small flat fuse near the solar control panel ...... should I remove that before topping up?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You don't need to remove the fuse when topping up, only if disconnecting the batteries. I assume the fuse is between the solar panel and the solar regulator/controller so that it can be used to isolate the panel from the regulator.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
so long as the solar controller has a load for its current (battery) attached it should be fine. i prefer not to open and top up batteries as they are being charged, as there is a risk of them bubbling and gassing off if the battery is faulty. however if you take precautions like eye protection it should be fine. just dont over fill and splash

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'd be happier removing the fuse as you don't want a stray spark around batteries when your topping up.

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Yes it is before the wire gets to the batteries. I had been looking to replacing the batteries as i have not been getting very good output and now I know why lol.... Fingers crossed that a few pence worth of distilled water will produce a miracle cure ....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Yes it is before the wire gets to the batteries. I had been looking to replacing the batteries as i have not been getting very good output and now I know why lol.... Fingers crossed that a few pence worth of distilled water will produce a miracle cure ....
it is unlikely a top up will recover a neglected battery. whilst the seat is off, i would renew the battery with a lead calcium sealed battery

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Think i will remove fuse to be on safe side . .. thankyou all for quick replies.
Yes TheBig1 it is a long shot but worth a try ....haven't got seat off yet... It can be accessed by sliding seat forward

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You need a fuse (or switch) in the positive cable between the solar panel and the solar regulator/controller if you want to use it to disconnect the feed from the panel. If the fuse is between the regulator and the batteries this will not isolate the panel. Your installation will probably require a fuse between regulator and batteries as you have described, but do not pull this one out if the panel is still connected to the regulator and this can cause damage to the regulator. One option is to get on the roof and cover the panel with a blanket before pulling the fuse or disconnecting the batteries in any way.

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
IMG_20170505_120756097.jpg
itI think I may have mislead you jeanluc when I said it was before the battery so I have taken photo and hopefully you can see it lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back