Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
I'am thinking of fitting a solar panel on our AutoTrail Cheyenne 635, don't like making holes in the roof, I haven't stripped the ariel up there (the type with spike sticking out of it) but, maybe I can get the cables down through the same fitting, making a hole in the side of it, it leads directly down to where I hope to fit the MPPT controller, next problem , what's the best way to get the cables to the battery box on the oppersite of the van, or is it possible to connect into the PSU 2007 control unit which contains a 20amp charger, thanks in advance, Alan

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
I secured mine, 100W Biard, to the roof (Cheyenne 630s) with Sikaflex - no need for holes - using commercially made corner and side brackets. I used a cable entry box with twin glands also secured with Sikaflex close to the aerial and drilled close to it where the aerial cables pass through to the wardrobe. My MPPT controller is fitted directly under where the solar cables enter in the wardrobe and I have connected directly to the battery charger which is also in the wardrobe. It has spare contacts which are in parallel with the leisure battery connection. Hope this helps.

Dave

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
don't like making holes in the roof

Get over it. It's the proper way to do it. Just don't drill through any cables in the roof.

I used a hole saw and just cut the inner skin. Pulled that off and looked for cables.

You could fit a decent aerial while you are up there, you seem to be describing a status 300 series aerial.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back