Solar Controller. Is mine big/man enough? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi,

Our 'system,' (I use that phrase very loosely) comprises of 2 x 110Ah batteries and a 80 watt solar panel up top. The solar panel is 'controlled by a 10Amp pwm controller.

I appreciate that I could fit a mppt controller to give better amps out of the solar, however, I have a question relating the controller I actually have.

If I were to fit another 80watt or possibly 100watt solar on the roof, would the controller I have just limit the amount of amps supplied to the batteries to 10amps or would it not be big enough to do the job and not work. I would be quite happy if the controller just limited the 'stuff' emitting from the solars.
I hope you understand what I am asking.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you put too much "panel" to the controller it will go "bang" or at least could stop working as they are fused, if it 10 amp you might get away with another 80w but 100 could be pushing it, why not just go larger MPPT and then you wont have to limit panel size.

Martin

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for the answer @funflair. That's the info I needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Next question (In a series)

Assuming that the Mickey Mouse 20amp mppt controllers from chinatown are exactly that, misadvertised, cheap rubbish, can people on here recommend a 'Proper' mppt 20amp controller other than victron who I have heard of. The more rec.s the better.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The one @Techno recommends is great! Here is one on Ebay and the price looks about right

Link Removed

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi... if you have read or heard of the victory mppt charge controllers you may already know the claims they make...
It sort of relates to your question...
Basically if you have one fitted the only limiting factor of your solar set up is the max voltage.. as long as you stay within that the controller will limit the power/current to suit..
It rang a bell when I read your question... and I've had a quick check.. here's the link..
https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/...ar-modules-to-the-new-mppt-charge-regulators/

And the bit I was looking for...

'''Thanks to the output power or current limiter, the output power will never exceed the maximum of the controller. This Blue Solar MPPT feature is unique and makes the charge controller even more interesting!'''
Andy.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is the Votronic MPP350 duo http://www.votronic.de/index.php/en...trollers/standard-version-mpp/mpp-350-duo-dig can be had for about £140, there is a 15 amp version for less money. I note that they both come with the AES out terminal and are prepared for Control output EBL, prepared for “Elektroblock” with solar current display, cable set, Art. 2007, required

You can then add solar computer simply by plugging it into the relevant port on the controller and run a wire to the display.
http://www.votronic.de/index.php/en/products/solar-technology/lcd-solar-computer can be found at around £70.

Martin

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi... if you have read or heard of the victory mppt charge controllers you may already know the claims they make...
Basically if you have one fitted the only limiting factor of your solar set up is the max voltage.. as long as you stay within that the controller will limit the power/current to suit..
It rang a bell when I read your question... and I've had a quick check.. here's the link..
https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/...ar-modules-to-the-new-mppt-charge-regulators/

'''Thanks to the output power or current limiter, the output power will never exceed the maximum of the controller. This Blue Solar MPPT feature is unique and makes the charge controller even more interesting!'''
Andy.
Andy

Do I read that correctly that they are saying you can connect panels that would theoretically overload the controllers amp capacity and if this does happen the controller will limit the amp input to prevent any problems.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy

Do I read that correctly that they are saying you can connect panels that would theoretically overload the controllers amp capacity and if this does happen the controller will limit the amp input to prevent any problems.

Martin
Hi Martin. . That's how I read it...
As long as you are within the max voltage range it gives you a bit flexibility with the system...
You could have an array that was capable of more current than the controller will deliver but conversely when light is poorer you can extract the most out of what's available.. without worrying about damage to the controller. .
It does say their controller is unique in this respect ...
And I thought you had to stay within the voltage/current (power) limits of any controller... certainly most of them...
Andy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The one @Techno recommends is great! Here is one on Ebay and the price looks about right

Link Removed
Second that brilliant bit of kit, only paid £78 for mine.
It is only single output so need to add a solar split charge relay or battery master to charge the engine battery. I fitted a solar split charge relay any connected it to my Elektroblock.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

Andy.

Not unique though as this one does it too, though at 30A, I think they do a smaller one though.
edit: Can't put the Amazon link in but it is a
SolarEpic MPPT 30A Solar Regulator 100V PV input Tracer 3210A Series Charge Controller With LCD Display

at £119 many good reviews around the web. Not the cheapest and another £30 if you want the remote display/controller. The temperature probe is an extra too along with the lead to connect to a laptop if you want to program it that way (not essential)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
. I fitted a solar split charge relay any connected it to my Elektroblock.

Hi... does that mean your power management panel (ie elektroblock ) has to be switches on for you engine battery to charge off solar... if it's a dumb question forgive lol... just I don't know how the elektroblock works..
Just done some thing similar but used a gadget from Stirling to trickle the engine battery off the leisure..
Andy

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My solar controller is just connected direct to the leisure batteries. The electric gubbins in the Rapido also charges the vehicle battery once the leisure batteries are above 13.6v (though sometimes in the winter this doesn't happen much)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi... does that mean your power management panel (ie elektroblock ) has to be switches on for you engine battery to charge off solar... if it's a dumb question forgive lol... just I don't know how the elektroblock works..
Just done some thing similar but used a gadget from Stirling to trickle the engine battery off the leisure..
Andy
Most of the newer vans have cheaper Elektroblocks and the Solar connections are straight through to the batteries so connecting via it just makes the wiring easy. 3 connection on the Elektroblock, earth, Hab battery & engine battery. With a dual regulator it just connects straight in, with a single you connect the engine battery connection via the relay, don't have to take any cables to the batteries.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Most of the newer vans have cheaper Elektroblocks and the Solar connections are straight through to the batteries so connecting via it just makes the wiring easy. 3 connection on the Elektroblock, earth, Hab battery & engine battery. With a dual regulator it just connects straight in, with a single you connect the engine battery connection via the relay, don't have to take any cables to the batteries.
Hi.. I've got the bit about not having to go to the batteries to make the connection but still not sure whether the panel has to be on to energise a relay to make that connection..
Just curious as from what I could gather from my set up I would have to have my control panel on for the solar to be charging..if I went through it... I didn't in the end and mine isn't an elektrablock..
Just didn't like the idea of having to leave the panel on all the time to let the solar charge the batteries .. even when the van is not in use..
May have got it wrong but it was quicker to wire the solar and controller independently of the existing van electrical set up..
Andy.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can I thank all the participants of this thread.
I'm currently in Spain with a duff charger and a couple of ancient batteries doing their best to cope with the less than brill. weather.
However, once I get home and with the hope that Leisure Electronic Repairs will be able to sort out my charger woes, Shhhh! Don't tell them, they don't know yet? I'm going to treat the old girl (the van, silly) to a mppt controller. I don't have to get a bigger one than the one I already have as the Victronic 165 will be able to cope even if I bolt another 80amp onto the roof and will also keep the van battery topped up as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back