Solar controller and Battery help please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by flatpackchicken, Nov 12, 2013.

1. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Ok here goes. Battery going flat after all day charge on ehu and solar panel charging at 16.56v instead of the normal 14.5v
    Battery shows full at 13.5v after sundown and after unplugging hook up but only last maybe 3 hours and battery showing 10.5v new battery purchased 5 months ago ????? My theory is that the controller has gone tits up and cooked battery I am in south of France at Mo Nr Avignon
    Help please and theories thank Garry flatpackchicken

2. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

10.5V is the signature voltage of a battery with one duff cell.
    A fully charged 12V battery will be around 12.7V or 2.1V per cell. Loose one cell and you have a five cell battery; 5 x 2.1v = 10.5V.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Yup, battery fubah I am afraid..
    The charging circuit is more or less running free hence the silly high voltages your getting :Sad:

I suppose the controller could be shot but it does not sound like it to be honest..
    Take battery back from whence it came and kick off Gary !!!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

This is a long shot, but worth a try.

If the charger connected to the EHU shuts down when the battery is fully charged, then the 16.56V the solar panel is chucking out will have effectivly turned it off. So you are only getting the solar panel output - which may or may not be doing enough.

I would disconnect the solar panel (following proper instructions, or I'm told you can fubar the regulator, assuming it isn't already) & try a day on EHU only. If it then holds it's charge, it's the solar panel regulator that's at fault - or just general lack of sunshine.

But either way, 16+V won't have done the battery any good, particularly if it's AGM. If it's the sort you top up, it could be gasping for a drink about now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. flatpackchicken

Thanks all for your help Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sounds like battery to me too.

solar panel open voltage should be around 17v so also check the connections between controller and battery but rapidly discharging battery after hookup charge does point to a duff battery.

battery cells can fail at any time without warning.

7. flatpackchicken

Update new battery fitted today and solar holding charge now at 14.5v and ehu holding at 13.49v. Took furs out of solar panel between controller and battery and no ehu and no engine on and showing 13.13v exactly the same as the engine battery. Old battery (4 months old) completely dry in all 6 cells looks like no acid water in battery from new or battery boiled dry although stills looks slightly wet on bottom of each cell. So there you have it everyone 1 cooked battery and 1 new battery installed at £160 110A hope this solves the problem and thanks for every ones help much appreciated Regards Garry flatpackchicken

8. flatpackchicken

Bump to see the outcome