solar connection question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by cookie, Oct 1, 2016.

1. cookie

cookie Funster

hi peeps

on a sergeant 450 do i connect the solar panel direct to it or should there be a regulator in between.

saw similar thread about this because there is already a brown wire on this connection "16" what is the brown wire for?

thanks

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I believe it is a two way connector so the brown goes to the leisure battery. Manual says limited to 100 watts but it does not say it has a regulator built in. I would ignore the panel and go straight to the battery via a regulator

• Like Like x 2
  3. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Definitely --- with a dual battery controller you can go both sets.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

3.6 Solar Charge Management EC468 and EC469 PSU’s incorporate a built-in solar charge management feature, which will control the input from a separate solar panel and regulator. Depending on the charge state of the batteries, the solar power will be directed to the required battery, and continuously monitored to ensure optimum operation. For this system to operate intelligently, the shutdown button should be left switched on. If the shutdown button is turned off then the solar panel will charge the vehicle battery only.

Reading the above from Sargents website and the manual. It looks like you need a separate regulator..
    https://sargentltd.co.uk/tech-support/article/Power-Supply-Unit-Manuals/22

• Like Like x 1