Solar cells that are 400X more efficient and light enough to rest on a soap bubble. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And that has to be the longest title for a thread I have ever made :p

Ultra thin and so light it can rest on a soap bubble. 400x more efficient than glass/silicon cells.

Looks great. Wondering how much they will cost and when will they be available. If cheap enough I would cover my van in them :D

http://news.mit.edu/2016/ultrathin-flexible-solar-cells-0226

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have just had ten days at the NEC and it seems that my competitors already sell these panels

Mind you, the soap bubble will be in one place longer than the people that arrive at a ready made stand, put up their £50 banner and promise the world lol

Next weekend the same "traders" will be selling miracle sponges, mops and fatless fryers ;)

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
What a great idea! I have always wanted to put my hat, shirt and smartphone on top of my motorhome to charge up my batteries!

Or are they suggesting we put the motorhome in a vacuum chamber for them to 'deposit' solar panels on the roof? There's a thought, but not a good one!!

The wonder of modern science continue to amaze me.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What a great idea! I have always wanted to put my hat, shirt and smartphone on top of my motorhome to charge up my batteries!

Or are they suggesting we put the motorhome in a vacuum chamber for them to 'deposit' solar panels on the roof? There's a thought, but not a good one!!

The wonder of modern science continue to amaze me.
No they will make it on a substrate.. This is from M.I.T. one of the best technical universities in the world...

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No they will make it on a substrate.. This is from M.I.T. one of the best technical universities in the world...
LOL I wasn't doubting the post, but the claims that some "pop up" traders make already is farcical already

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The 400x figure is just output/weight. A typical solar cell is around 20% efficient in terms of converting the available energy from the sunlight so the best improvement they could ever achieve on output is around 5x.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Many people have doubted the wisdom of the amount of money that has been spent on the Space Station and exploration outside our planet in general. However this announcement from MIT is a good example of the need for future electronic manufacturing to be done in a vacuum. Vapour deposition manufacturing processes (using a terrestrial vacuum chamber)incorporating substrates such as Graphene are going to revolutionise the products in daily use in the next 20 years, and for it to be commercially viable on the scale required then a zero gravity manufacturing environment is the way to go. This, among others, is the real reason the space station is up there.

The Tincas

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The 400x figure is just output/weight. A typical solar cell is around 20% efficient in terms of converting the available energy from the sunlight so the best improvement they could ever achieve on output is around 5x.

They say the conversion efficiency is about the same. But due to the weight and thinness. You could apply a coating of these across your whole van.... It is thin, flexible and light. Perfect for motorhomes :)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
well they better hurry up with the paint on solar panels ,the company who manufactures the electronics and associated electrical stuff tells me that since the subsides have been cut,business has nose dived

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thought id ask this via PM rather than open forum
@eddievanbitz
Secret Trade question,
Which Sikaflex do you recommend for fixing the bubble to the roof and will the same stuff do the panel to the bubble(y)
Regard
G
Oops!!!

Reactions: Jim

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I know I keep banging on about it but I am sure all required power on Earth will eventually come from the Sun. Maybe we should all be worshiping it as the Inca's used to.
What's wrong with the geezer in a dress with big beard?:)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I seem to remember that £20 million was given by the government to Cambridge Laboratories for the development of better solar panels... Seems someone has beaten them to it !!!
Sooner the better for me !
PS. We already do worship the sun..:):):).

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
They wouldn't work on my MH, as it rarely has soap bubbles on the roof.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Fairy Liquid is best for Bubbles!
Hi.
I keep mentioning "Bubbles Spa " (Opp. Derby Railway station) They don't use Fairy Liquid,but if some Funster was to pay me to go in and have a..... Massage?o_O. I could then report back with what they do use,just a thought,as i don't have anything .....on?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back