Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've emailed maximum_solar see what he has to say, I will report when he does, soon i hope as i need to get these solar panels fitted, and the rest of the stuff, so i can be off having some motorhome Fun, in the daffy duck (truck) :D

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have two Votronic regulators feeding one battery bank, I asked the man at Votronic if this was OK and he said yes no problem they will both work together when the batteries need it and when they approach fully charged one controller will see the charge from the other and will switch down to nothing. In reality this seems to be how it works.

Martin

OP
OP
maddy1

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
Martin thats interesting to know, it would work out a lot cheaper for me if they can work together.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We have two Votronic regulators feeding one battery bank, I asked the man at Votronic if this was OK and he said yes no problem they will both work together when the batteries need it and when they approach fully charged one controller will see the charge from the other and will switch down to nothing. In reality this seems to be how it works.

Martin
i must say my regs do exactly the same . one seems to keep going over the other one . possibly not long but one definately shuts down before the other . i just put it down to a slightly different quality or even one bank of panels older than the other .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
i must say my regs do exactly the same . one seems to keep going over the other one . possibly not long but one definately shuts down before the other . i just put it down to a slightly different quality or even one bank of panels older than the other .

Just very very slightly different set points I guess and one has to be dominant.

Martin

OP
OP
maddy1

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
Me again, while i think about it (Not my idea I found it on a web search) whats stopping me using a cheapish solar charge controller to charge my 12v battery bank from the 24v starter batts while on the move? anyone done this? It would save me £250, by not having to buy a Durite B2B 24v to 12v charger.

OP
OP
maddy1

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
My maths is rubbish, so help me please.
I need to know what size fuses to use on me Solar set up. So a fuse from solar panels +ve to Charge control, (protect the CC) what size ? Then a Fuse from CC +ve to batteries, (do i need one here?) What size? Then a fuse from Batteries +ve to inverter, (big I know) what size? and while we are on the subject, is it good practise to have a fuse on each +ve cable on the battery bank? what size? I might just do this anyway, as you never know, accidents happen. cheers

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How may panels are you going for and are they all into one big controller or splitting between two, also what size inverter are you planning on using.

This is quite a good read for cable and fuse sizing and dont forget that the fuse is there to protect the cable so must be sized correctly.

Martin

OP
OP
maddy1

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello Martin, thanks for the link, as for the set up its 6x 100w 12v panels, joined with 3 into 1 mc4 connectors, then going to be using 2x 25A 300W MPPT solar charge controllers. The inverter I'm unsure of at the moment but maybe 2000w as I'm hoping to be running a fridge freezer. cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back