Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 715
Exp
Hi all

I have an Autotrail Imala 715 that has a solar panel fitted. Not sure of the voltage etc as it was fitted when i bought it.

I recently had a 2nd 110 amp battery fitted with the proper link cable fitted by Brownhills.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to check if my panel was charging both batteries. Its just if i dont hook up then i lose charge quite quickly. I know its not sunny at the moment but 2 x 110 batteries only last 3 days.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It depends on the load for how long they will last.
If the 2 batteries are connected together the panel will be trying to charge them both but in the present uk weather the solar will be close to nothing.
You can work out the loading if you know the wattage of what you are using.
Every 12 watts will draw 1 amp so 120w is 10 amps etc.
Your 2 batteries have a combined 220ah capacity but effectively can only go to half capacity before being considered as flat i.e. 110ah.
So a 110 watt load will take 10 hours to flatten your batteries.
This is a simplified reply as other factors will determine the real available power till flat.
Don't forget that taking the batteries too low will ruin them.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Firstly, don't ask Brownhills! My experience with their "electricians" leaves a little to be desired.

How old is the original battery? The advice is usually to fit two of the same type, size and age. If your old battery is failing it will drag the new one down - not saying that's your problem but the symptoms are the same.

At this time of year unless you've got a huge solar panel you're not going to get much out of it in the UK, sunny or not; the sun is too low. Does your solar regulator give any indications? Presumably the batteries charge okay on hookup? We've got a similar setup, 100watt panel, and I would expect to get 6/7 days in the UK this time of year with normal use - but depends on what you call normal. Couple of days ago while transiting France we needed to leave the heating on all night and we'd have been lucky to get 3 days (I've also got a B2B charger which boosts the charge whilst driving).

There'll be someone else far more expert than me come along shortly but if you're unsure of how to use a test meter you'll maybe need professional help. Sorry can't help more, just a few ideas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If your batteries have been paralleled then they effectively become one...
If it was mine I'd be looking to see if they just added another battery and left the original connections for power and charging to the original battery... that would not be ideal but would have been a quick fit..
Ideally your positive of take an solar charging wires should come off the positive on one of the two batteries and the negative be taken off the second battery...
That arrangement helps ensure the batteries are sharing the load as effectively as you can...
Worth a look...
Andy.

OP
OP
The Whittys

The Whittys

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 715
Exp
Hi. Both batteries where fitted brand new by Brownhills in Sept so they should be ok.

The controller is only a basic one that just shows a light that says charge :( i have been looking at swapping it for MPTT?

Will have to work out my draw.

Cheers

OP
OP
The Whittys

The Whittys

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 715
Exp
If your batteries have been paralleled then they effectively become one...
If it was mine I'd be looking to see if they just added another battery and left the original connections for power and charging to the original battery... that would not be ideal but would have been a quick fit..
Ideally your positive of take an solar charging wires should come off the positive on one of the two batteries and the negative be taken off the second battery...
That arrangement helps ensure the batteries are sharing the load as effectively as you can...
Worth a look...
Andy.

They fitted a link cable and said thats all i needed. They didn't take any wires off the original

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
They fitted a link cable and said thats all i needed. They didn't take any wires off the original
I'm most probably not explaining very clearly..
There's a lot written about it.. I'll try and add a link and it will explain what I'm trying to say..
https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/how-to-connect-two-batteries-in-parallel/
Sounds like they have just added a 2nd battery and left connections to the original... that would not surprise me but it's not what's recommended. ..
Have a read of the link and then check the wiring..
Andy.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Do brown hill still fit banners if so check levels in batteries as mine were in need of a ltre

OP
OP
The Whittys

The Whittys

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 715
Exp
I'm most probably not explaining very clearly..
There's a lot written about it.. I'll try and add a link and it will explain what I'm trying to say..
https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/how-to-connect-two-batteries-in-parallel/
Sounds like they have just added a 2nd battery and left connections to the original... that would not surprise me but it's not what's recommended. ..
Have a read of the link and then check the wiring..
Andy.
Will check wiring tomorrow thanks

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
The link cable will be the one supplied by sargent.
They cost about 25 pounds and they just plug into the harness so you can not get it wrong.

OP
OP
The Whittys

The Whittys

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 715
Exp
The link cable will be the one supplied by sargent.
They cost about 25 pounds and they just plug into the harness so you can not get it wrong.
Yeah thats what they did but cant find out if that cable enables the solar panel to charge the 2nd battery.

Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Seem to rember a thread on hear about AT cables not up to the job.
@Jaws should be able to advise.

Banner batteries! If you are lucky you may get more than a year out of them.:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The cables that Sargent use are, in my opinion, not really up to the job if you are using anything that will either charge or discharge the batteries at anything more than 10 amps.. and even that must be very close to the absolute limit..

However, as to the question re charging both batteries, yes they will both be charged as believe it or not the two wires coming from the control box and going to the batteries are joined inside the control box..

I altered mine because I did not like how it was originally done.
I put both the +ve wires from the control box together and ran to one battery and then did the same with the -ve wires. I then joined the batteries together using some serious wire ( actually some cheap jumper cable I cut up. )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back