solar again (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Hi Guys and gals
been doing some stuff on our new to us van at the weekend. Thought the solar panel wasn't doing much so investigated and found it was not connected. not just pulled off but the connectors cut off. as it is pre wired for solar I thought I would just re connect it and soon after the panel was showing a healthy 13.4 on the hab battery, 12.2 vehicle battery. the next day which was sunny, the panel was showing 16.2 on the hab and 12.2 on the cab. slightly concerned at the high reading I disconnected the solar and plugged in ehu. back to the 13.4 and after 24 hours the cab battery is up to 12.6 so it would seem the controller is doing its stuff there. just tried connecting the solar again (its quite cloudy and cold at present) and reading went straight up to 15.8 on the panel.
Is this ok or do I have a problem? would the solar have its own controller or should it go through the vehicle controller. (I have no paperwork on the panel so not sure even what wattage it is)
Your advice, as ever , would be appreciated.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Solar should have its own controller though some mh have one already built in. Yours is either missing or faulty. Just get a controller, lots on ebay preferably mppt but in emergency any sub 20quid controller will be better than what you have at present.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Guys and gals
been doing some stuff on our new to us van at the weekend. Thought the solar panel wasn't doing much so investigated and found it was not connected. not just pulled off but the connectors cut off. as it is pre wired for solar I thought I would just re connect it and soon after the panel was showing a healthy 13.4 on the hab battery, 12.2 vehicle battery. the next day which was sunny, the panel was showing 16.2 on the hab and 12.2 on the cab. slightly concerned at the high reading I disconnected the solar and plugged in ehu. back to the 13.4 and after 24 hours the cab battery is up to 12.6 so it would seem the controller is doing its stuff there. just tried connecting the solar again (its quite cloudy and cold at present) and reading went straight up to 15.8 on the panel.
Is this ok or do I have a problem? would the solar have its own controller or should it go through the vehicle controller. (I have no paperwork on the panel so not sure even what wattage it is)
That voltage is kiss of death, would think the solar regulator is kaput, someone will be along shortly but would be good to say what van you have, year etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Guys and gals
That voltage is kiss of death, would think the solar regulator is kaput, someone will be along shortly but would be good to say what van you have, year etc.

OP
OP
cranky
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
its an 08 rapido 9090df

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'd agree that anything much over 14.4v suggests a failed or non-existent solar regulator. Spend a few more quid and get a two stage regulator that offers a bulk charge of 14v+ and a float charge of around 13.6v. On our first MH I had a cheapo Chinese regulator fitted that only did 13.6v. It served the purpose but I reckon a two stage would have been better in hindsight, especially around winter.

OP
OP
cranky
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
As it is still under the dealers warranty I think they can have the pleasure of sorting it:)

OP
OP
cranky
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
as the dealer is 250 miles away, they sent me a new controller, fitted it at the weekend. job done:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As it is still under the dealers warranty I think they can have the pleasure of sorting it:)
The only problem with that is the dealer will fit a cheap 5 quid regulator, it will work but if you intend using solar seriously you need to spend between £70-£150 on a decent regulator. The dealer ain't going to do that.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Try disconnecting solar and battery then reconnect battery first followed by solar

Had the same when we bought our van batteries were at 16v dealer supplied 2 new batteries

Joe

OP
OP
cranky
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
The only problem with that is the dealer will fit a cheap 5 quid regulator, it will work but if you intend using solar seriously you need to spend between £70-£150 on a decent regulator. The dealer ain't going to do that.
agreed. it is working for now but I intend to have something more "professional" fitted in the near future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back