Solar advise please. (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I currently have a 100watt panel plugged into the Sargent 500 PCU in the van.
100w is the maximum permitted to be wired through the Sargent.
I have 200AH of batteries and want to get another 100w foldable panel (2 x 50w panels hinged together ) which is 12volt and supplied complete with regulator and cabling.
BUT, instead of connecting it to the batteries with the crocodile clips, I want to fit a plug into the van's skirt as near to the battery box as possible.
The reason for this is for Dec and Jan winter sun, as I only got 3 amps from my roof mounted panels I saw people with, but the floor standing (angled to the sun) was giving 6 amps ! ! !
Anyone done this ??
Any tips on connecting ??
Plug types ??
MANY thanks in anticipation.
Mitch.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
One part which may be helpful is the crocodile clips can be cut off and replaced with crimps to permanently connect the leads from the solar.
Then you have choices to make as to how much lead is left and what sort of connection you want for ease of use. Some form of junction box, but take into consideration you may need an amount of lead to go to the front, rear, nearside and offside of the van from the floor standing panels which no doubt you will have to move regularly !

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I have 200AH of batteries and want to get another 100w foldable panel (2 x 50w panels hinged together ) which is 12volt and supplied complete with regulator and cabling.
BUT, instead of connecting it to the batteries with the crocodile clips, I want to fit a plug into the van's skirt as near to the battery box as possible.
The reason for this is for Dec and Jan winter sun, as I only got 3 amps from my roof mounted panels I saw people with, but the floor standing (angled to the sun) was giving 6 amps ! ! !
Anyone done this ??
Plug types ??
Mitch.
Yes I have the same set up.
Just cut off the Croc clips and put round ends on and undun the nuts on the batteries. Put a plug under the skirt in a plastic container screwed up to the floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
3 amps!!!! I dream of 3 amps in the winter sun, I think we managed 1 amp from our 150w panel on the sunniest day over the winter! :D

I did see the battery meter hit 5 amps today, but it was quite sunny, and there are a lot of trees where we keep the van, which has an adverse effect on solar charging! :D

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
When i was considering an additional panel I phoned Sargent and was told that the existing panel will be cut out by the control panel when it reads that your new panel has boosted the voltage on the leisure battery to 14 volts or so. In effect the first panel to be hit by the sun will be the only one that is affective. I would give them a ring to be sure if i were you.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We have a standard cigar plug connector on our folder and we have appropriate sockets in the garage. You can fit sockets in the side of the van, we did this with a caravan we owned. If you want good waterproof plugs and sockets then look for Bulgin Buccaneer plugs and sockets they are good and gave no problems on all the yachts I have owned.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Yes I have the same set up.
Just cut off the Croc clips and put round ends on and undun the nuts on the batteries. Put a plug under the skirt in a plastic container screwed up to the floor.
This is how I have been able to do it.water proof container Morrisons 90 pence.

Attachments

• 20170402_122338.jpg
    20170402_122338.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170402_122048.jpg
    20170402_122048.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20170402_122111.jpg
    20170402_122111.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Laurieash where did you get those plugs mate ??
Mitch.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The EC500 will take 120w, thats just for info as you may already know that.

As stated above, if you connect another solar panel direct to the battery by any method the 2 controllers will work against each other. However and I havn't tried this.. You could set the fixed 100w panel to charge only the Engine battery via the settings in the control panel. Then have a seperate panel to angle at the sun connected to the leisure, my only concern about stand alone angled panels are 1. the theft risk, so needs to be chained up. 2. As the sun moves round so the panel is less effective, you will need to be sat with it and moving it around, especially in the winter..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When i was considering an additional panel I phoned Sargent and was told that the existing panel will be cut out by the control panel when it reads that your new panel has boosted the voltage on the leisure battery to 14 volts or so. In effect the first panel to be hit by the sun will be the only one that is affective. I would give them a ring to be sure if i were you.
But if the batteries are at 14volts they are about charged so that is right that it cuts out, when the voltage is less two controllers will work together, ours do.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Anyone done this ??
Plug types ??
Mitch.
I have a similar set up on a self build camper...
I have an 80w portable with its own pwm controller which is connected to the batteries via an anderson plug..
I later fitted a 100w roof panel via a 10amp mppt controller. ..and asked the same question as you...
I don't believe the 80w portable panel does contribute much now..
I assume that the charging source providing the higher voltage is the one that will take priority. .
If the battery is low enough it might come into play but I still think it will see the higher charging voltage of the mppt controller and switch the pwm controller off...
Andy...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Andy

We have 3x80w on one MPPT and 1x80 on another, it is alway the single panel that cut back first so I wondered why on this occasion it was the other way around, well i closed the kitchen skylight and it rose to 5.6 so near enough three times the single one. You will see that the battery volts are 13.9 on the leisure and both controllers still working.

IMG_0495.JPG

Martin

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy

We have 3x80w on one MPPT and 1x80 on another, it is alway the single panel that cut back first so I wondered why on this occasion it was the other way around, well i closed the kitchen skylight and it rose to 5.6 so near enough three times the single one. You will see that the battery volts are 13.9 on the leisure and both controllers still working.

View attachment 156003

Martin
Sorry Martin I missed your post..
Can't argue with that.... the only difference is my portable is on a pwm controller as opposed to the fixed panel is on a mppt controller. ..
Truth is I didn't play around with it enough to come to any firm conclusion...
Andy.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry Martin I missed your post..
Can't argue with that.... the only difference is my portable is on a pwm controller as opposed to the fixed panel is on a mppt controller. ..
Truth is I didn't play around with it enough to come to any firm conclusion...
Andy.
Andy

Our original single panel was on PWM and I put the three new ones on MPPT when I changed the origin to MPPT also I gained 25 to 30%.

Martin

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We have a similar set up but use 16amp din plugs a sockets on 10 metres of 4mm cable. I mounted the socket next to the mains input socket in the same box (the type of mains socket with the hinged cover) so no water ingress problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back