Solaer Panels & Battery Power

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by IanC, Jun 9, 2010.

1. IanC

IanC Read Only Funster

With our lack of knowledge as new users I did purchase a 13W fold up solar panel which was on special offer in Macro's. I know now that it is not likely to be of great use but it may make a small difference as long as we get a reasonably sunny day. We do not have any space on the roof for any larger solar panels...

However, In reading many of the threads I seem to recall something about unplugging it at night. If it is not unplugged does it drain the battery & undo any good it has done throughout the day? I was not aware of this & have left it plugged in all night to try & take advantage of the early light. Am I doing wrong?

Ianc

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

you should be fine I have not come across a panel yet that is NOT fitted with diodes. To prevent reverse current flow.

3. IanC

IanC Read Only Funster

Many thanks Wildman. Now a little more re-assured

4. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

If you want to check if the panel is fitted with diode protection is simple, you need a multimeter with a ohm's setting, cover the panel with some form of light limiting cover, so that it cant generate any current, then check with the ohms meter,the panel of course must be disconnected and isolated.

Then put the meter leads to the panel cables, one way it will conduct the other way it wont, that's the diode working if there is no reading one way.

Its worth mentioning that the diode will drop the voltage by 0.5v so don't go and put another diode in circuit as that will then be 1.0 volt drop from the panel.

Doug...

5. IanC

IanC Read Only Funster

Doug
    Excellent advice. I will try that out.
    Thanks very much
    IanC