1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

SOG

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by BgClick, Jun 16, 2013.

1. BgClick

BgClick Funster

I was thinking about fitting a SOG to our recently aquired second hand van. However, and I may be way off in my understanding, after reading some of the technical documentaion from the SOG site it looks like it depends on a good airtight seal to the toilet bowel, it mentions a blade valve?

I notice in our van that if we fill the bowl with two or three inches of water it soons drains down (hopefully into the cassette)

So would a SOG still be worthwhile? And maybe more importantly, do we have an issue currently with our toilette that needs attention?

2. haganap

haganap Funster

fitting a new seal to your cassette and loo is really quite a simple job. If there is water draining out then I would suggest this needs doing as it shouldn't happen.

As for fitting a sog? I have on my last two vans and find them invaluble.

However, I haven't on this van as now days Im so perfect, even my poo dont smell :notworthy:

3. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster

Another toilet thread - excellent:thumb:
    I can tell you that the theory of the sog system does work. At Wrenbury Colin left the blade open after one visit and with the skylight open as well, the chimney effect was terrible! I opened the door sometime later to be knocked sideways by the smell! :Doh:

2 people like this.
  4. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Funster

We was parked next to a van the other week that had a sog fitted and had to have our windows closed as we kept get wiffs of their loo

5. Terry

Terry Funster

6. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

If you could smell their loo then you were to darn close! Our SOG vent into the safari room and doesn't cause us a problem. I do use Tesco washing liquid to kill the smell. One cap is enough.

I find it is urine that causes the worst smell not poo. When wilding we only use the loo for No:2s and restrict the amount of urine. I can go for a week to 10 days without needing to empty the cassette. We use a cassette bided and put the urine into a nappy type bucket with a close fitting lid which is disposed of daily. Fresh urine is sterile and can be disposed of with the grey water.

7. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Funster

I was a fair distance from their van but when the wind was in the right direction you could defiantly smell it

8. Terry

Terry Funster

How did you get the smell ? where they using the loo all the time? must have been a very long s--t -the fan only works when someone is sat using the loo :Smile: evn then it goes througha carbon filter eliminating the smell -ALMOST as much shit talked about sog 's as gassing :Wink: or is it the same thread
    :BigGrin:
    terry

9. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

sorry but doesnt the very fact that your still adding chemicals, no matter how small an amount, defeats the object of having one fitted in the first place. also means that you couldnt dispose of it as chemical free??

10. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Funster

Got the smell to our nostrils:Smile:, don't know if they were using the loo at the time as we were in our van :Smile: the other van was a funsters van , shall have to ask him in a couple of weeks time how long he c##ps for when we meet up again , I did mention this to him, but maybe someone was trying to gass us:BigGrin:

1 person likes this.