Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I fitted a SOG on my last van & found it worked fine. Big benefit was you can empty the toilet at anytime whereas you might be reluctant to empty it if you have put chemicals into it before it is almost full.
Nobody has mentioned the Thetford system :RollEyes: on my new van it has the Thetford C-250 toilet with the Automatic ventilator: filter absorbs unpleasant odours, ventilator draws them off to the outside of the vehicle (I asked somebody on the Thetford stand about fitting a SOG & he virtually told me that on the C-250 it is pretty much doing the same job) I think that it works better than the SOG as the fan comes on when you press the button & as it seems to operate on a timer it stays on for much longer than the SOG. It also vents out under the van. If you have the C-250 there is a compartment below the toilet for the fan & filter to be fitted. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all,a very simple way to avoid some of the problems mentioned is instead of fitting the micro switch to come on when the blade/sluice opens is to fit a illuminated rocker switch that can be turned on and off manually at the side of the flush button::bigsmile: (sorry Doug I could not resist the smiley )
terry

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi all,a very simple way to avoid some of the problems mentioned is instead of fitting the micro switch to come on when the blade/sluice opens is to fit a illuminated rocker switch that can be turned on and off manually at the side of the flush button::bigsmile: (sorry Doug I could not resist the smiley )
terry
Dont worry Terry I did not know that there was a smiley there and unlike some posts I have seen in the past your post perfectly legible anyway.

I too have thought of a switch as an alternative to the auto/micro switch but reject it on the ground that it may inadvertently be left on. Not a problem for a few days but it could be one for a few weeks.

On the other hand I have another but alternative suggestion that I have been thinking of for a while.

I have fitted a voltage controlled switch that switches on when the batteries are fully charged, I use this switch to power a cooling fan on my fridge, I could also use this to power the s.o.g fan and so increase the breakdown of the solids and make for easier pouring.

Doug...

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we ran our bog for years as normal, we use quite a lot of chems as we both have gut problems,

never considered a sog due to the rip off price, nearmy 100 squids for a tiny fan, a couple of elbow fittings, a length of caravan drain hose, carbon filter and a microswitch.

then i spotted a couple of sogs for sale outside someones american rv at a show, bought one for a fiver, never thought to ask why they were for sale,

anyhoo, fitted the thing, and did the first fill of the tank with no chems, at emptying time i was physicaly sick, half of that was due to the emptying point being is a small room with a door that closes it's self, but i just wasnt prepared for the stench, i really was evil.

but i soon learnt to hold my breath as i emptied the tank, once it was all down the sluice it was fine,

then the fan on the sog started vibrating badly, found out it had shed a blade, sog uk wouldent sell a fan on it's own, so i made my own, used the motor and fan from a battery powered hoover,

had to put a big resistor in the power wire, otherwise on full speed the fan would suck you down the bowl, maybe i should put a switch in to put the fan to full power, and label it 'constipation cure' :whatthe:

when we went abroad we found that in germany there are quite a few campsites that wont let you empty chemicaly treated bogs down their systems, hence the sog is very popular abroad.

whilst out there i got a new carbon filter, cost me 5 euro's, i also bought a new filter holder/outer vent as mine had cracked, that was 10 euro's,
and they sold the fan units for 25 euro's, this was back then you got 1.45 euros to a quid.

nowadays i use a little bit of chemical in the tank, and still have the sog, so we last longer on a bottle of blue stuff, and get the smells sucked outside the van.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I too have thought of a switch as an alternative to the auto/micro switch but reject it on the ground that it may inadvertently be left on. Not a problem for a few days but it could be on for a few weeks.

i can manage a couple of days without a 'movement' Doug, but a few weeks is stretching it a bit !!!!!!

put the switch where you cant help but see it.:thumb:

J

johnandcarol

Deleted User
As a newbie, so having a sort of "detached" view on things, to avoid "splashback" when using a SOG, surely it would not be too much trouble to get occupants to eat a small length of edible string every day? Theredore allowing the "product" to gently lower itself into the sog, rather than making an uncontrolled break for freedom!::bigsmile:

parkmoy

Free Member
Oct 25, 2007
Funster No
I've got one fitted but tbh I wouldn't bother again. The smell on emptying is horrendous and can clear a toilet block. I've ended up using biological fluid in it and that helps no end.

Where it does score, is stopping any smell getting back into the toilet room when the blade is opened but there's cheaper ways round that.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Can I ask a question........would it not be better to have a extractor fan somewhere in the bathroom/toilet to remove the odors..many might already have one for the shower.....as not many people want to sit on the toilet with the window open showing everybody what they are up to

I empty my cassette every time we move or if we do not move every day.....I can not see a chemical that you put in a toilet breaking the solids down in two days..because when you add a liters and half of water in at the beginning as instructions plus chemicals a few pees and a poo and the cassette is full in two days max.

Also as far a sog you also need to add a little water or the solids may stick to the bottom of the cassette....I can not see oxygen being passed over the solids over a period of two days breaking them down!!!!!?????
If you see solids out in the open from dogs / cats /people they last for weeks open the air/oxygen and do not break down.

I use chemical and do not find it a problem.
I have used it without when I have run out of chemicals and do not find that a problem

What I do now is put about half egg cupful of chemical in the cassette just for the smell and empty every day........the chemical last a long time ....no problem

Saying that many people want to send there partners outside to look and to see if other people can see what you are up to with the windows closed my wife sends me outside many times to check ( because she still thinks you can see in) in daylight and night to see if you can see in our toilet / bathroom like you can in the others,

Having seen other motorhomes toilet window, stopping people inside seeing out, but letting all the outside seeing in !!!!!! my wife has said many times should I tell the lady how do you think she would react !!!!????? will they tell me to pee off............ go and have a look at your own toilet window at a distance day and night to save any embarrassment for the wife.

Mel in France.........I may be wrong about the sog !!!!! or the chemical...who knows

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Also as far a sog you also need to add a little water or the solids may stick to the bottom of the cassette....I can not see oxygen being passed over the solids over a period of two days breaking them down!!!!!?????
If you see solids out in the open from dogs / cats /people they last for weeks open the air/oxygen and do not break down.

Mel I couldn't get me head round this neither. But I was amazed at how quick matter is broken down, and it is less than two days. It may just be because my poos are perfect:ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Mel I couldn't get me head round this neither. But I was amazed at how quick matter is broken down, and it is less than two days. It may just be because my poos are perfect:ROFLMAO:

your poo must be like the Queens :ROFLMAO: and they say her majesty does not pass wind.. :ROFLMAO:...that must be the reason... ...it is nice to hear somebody is perfect :Eeek: in this un-perfect world at this present time:Doh:
thumbs up from me :thumb:

Mel in France :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: best laugh I have had for a while

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Can I ask a question........would it not be better to have a extractor fan somewhere in the bathroom/toilet to remove the odors..many might already have one for the shower.....as not many people want to sit on the toilet with the window open showing everybody what they are up to

I empty my cassette every time we move or if we do not move every day.....I can not see a chemical that you put in a toilet breaking the solids down in two days..because when you add a liters and half of water in at the beginning as instructions plus chemicals a few pees and a poo and the cassette is full in two days max.

I use chemical and do not find it a problem.
I have used it without when I have run out of chemicals and do not find that a problem

What I do now is put about half egg cupful of chemical in the cassette just for the smell and empty every day........the chemical last a long time ....no problem

Saying that many people want to send there partners outside to look and to see if other people can see what you are up to with the windows closed my wife sends me outside many times to check ( because she still thinks you can see in) in daylight and night to see if you can see in our toilet / bathroom like you can in the others,

Having seen other motorhomes toilet window, stopping people inside seeing out, but letting all the outside seeing in !!!!!! my wife has said many times should I tell the lady how do you think she would react !!!!????? will they tell me to pee off............ go and have a look at your own toilet window at a distance day and night to save any embarrassment for the wife.

Mel in France.........I may be wrong about the sog !!!!! or the chemical...who knows

Hi Melvin

I agree, as i have said previously no need for additives (hate that smell) Just empty the cassette on a regular basis 15yrs full-timer no problem.

Suppose all that SOG is doing transferring those smells to the camper next to you, not very pleasant for them, i mean you wouldn't pitch next to the elson point would you:Sad:

Unlike the normal sealed portaloo , when SOG modified it then becomes an open system so the external opening will continually emit the poo smell. :Sad:

Nobody likes the smell of poo ;but creepy crawlies and flies love it, free meal to them ::bigsmile:especially on a hot summers day, Hate to think what creepy crawlies get into the system
pipework and filter.:Eeek::Eeek:

Be kind to insects and bugs fit a SOG:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Melvin

I agree, as i have said previously no need for additives (hate that smell) Just empty the cassette on a regular basis 15yrs full-timer no problem.

Suppose all that SOG is doing transferring those smells to the camper next to you, not very pleasant for them, i mean you wouldn't pitch next to the elson point would you:Sad:

Unlike the normal sealed portaloo , when SOG modified it then becomes an open system so the external opening will continually emit the poo smell. :Sad:

Nobody likes the smell of poo ;but creepy crawlies and flies love it, free meal to them ::bigsmile:especially on a hot summers day, Hate to think what creepy crawlies get into the system
pipework and filter.:Eeek::Eeek:

Be kind to insects and bugs fit a SOG:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nice one Roy I like it.......the amount of chemical I put in sometimes is just a teaspoon or less depends on what product I buy, and to honest sometimes I forget to put any in, and really it is no problem.....just give the cassette a good wash inside when emptying......must be what we eat... but to send your---- "smell" to the next motorhome, like a vegetarians F... (wind) like you and Jim says...
come on you guys its not on

Mel in France

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nice one Roy I like it.......the amount of chemical I put in sometimes is just a teaspoon or less depends on what product I buy, and to honest sometimes I forget to put any in, and really it is no problem.....just give the cassette a good wash inside when emptying......must be what we eat... but to send you a smell to a next motorhome neighbor like a vegetarians F... (wind) like you and Jim says...come on you guys its not on

Mel in France

What we need is ....

A SOG Buster... :thumb:

Link Removed

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Nice one Roy I like it.......the amount of chemical I put in sometimes is just a teaspoon or less depends on what product I buy, and to honest sometimes I forget to put any in, and really it is no problem.....just give the cassette a good wash inside when emptying......must be what we eat... but to send you a smell to a next motorhome neighbor like a vegetarians F... (wind) like you and Jim says...come on you guys its not on

Mel in France

Well mine doesn't smell its ROYal poo::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I Think the least the soggers could do is to put some bacon flavoured addertive in their portaloo::bigsmile:::bigsmile: its only fair don't you think:winky:(won't stop the flies though::bigsmile:)

Great poo thread:thumb:

Regards

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
do you think we should call them the undiluted smog-gers and not a sog

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
should they have a heath warnings printed on the side of the van...............like.... GAS...could be explosive..............don't park close to me I have a sog

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I'm afraid the anti SOG brigade is talking a load of sh1te.

There is NO smell outside ours (the regularly changed carbon filter ensures that) therefore no flies are attracted (where did you dig that up? -I have never seen a cluster of flies round a SOG outlet).

What are you lot going to do when the chemicals are banned as in Germany, or anywhere on septic tank drainage here, because of the damage to the environment?

As for the person suggesting an extractor fan !! Wow - unfiltered pongs blowing onto your next door neighbour, after it has been drawn past you and leaving some on your clothes - no thanks.
The smell of the chemicals makes me boak and you have to live with it all the time you are in the van - you might not smell it after the first day, but it is there, clinging to you wherever you go.
Enjoy your old fashioned chemicals (I'm surprised you don't want to go back to an earth toilet where you throw the ashes from your coal fire on top of whatever you have just deposited) but the rest of the world moves on and it only costs about £80 - about the same as a tank of diesel.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
The Wallace;171706]I'm afraid the anti SOG brigade is talking a load of sh1te.
arn't we all it is a poo topic::bigsmile:

There is NO smell outside ours (the regularly changed carbon filter ensures that) therefore no flies are attracted (where did you dig that up? -I have never seen a cluster of flies round a SOG outlet).
Not what others say maybe you have Royal poo::bigsmile:

What are you lot going to do when the chemicals are banned as in Germany, or anywhere on septic tank drainage here, because of the damage to the environment?

err same thing i've done for 15yrs:Doh:

As for the person suggesting an extractor fan !! Wow - unfiltered pongs blowing onto your next door neighbour, after it has been drawn past you and leaving some on your clothes - no thanks.
umm How do you cope when your at home

The smell of the chemicals makes me boak and you have to live with it all the time you are in the van - you might not smell it after the first day, but it is there, clinging to you wherever you go.
yea agree with that

Enjoy your old fashioned chemicals (I'm surprised you don't want to go back to an earth toilet where you throw the ashes from your coal fire on top of whatever you have just deposited) but the rest of the world moves on and it only costs about £80 - about the same as a tank of diesel.[/QUOTE]

The only thing SOG does is remove the smell and put it outside.IMO
The design of the SOG system (being an open system) has to be a lot less hygienic than the closed system.
Not sure if SOG is moving on or just another rippoff.

Just my opinion

Regards

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Not what others say maybe you have Royal poo
I had no idea you were familiar with the 'others' who may have been outside my van

err same thing i've done for 15yrs
What is that? Ignore the noxious effects of toilet chemicals?

umm How do you cope when your at home
This is being disengenuous to say the least!
At home it all goes into the water and smell is limited compared to having an open tank full of poo and chemicals.

The only thing SOG does is remove the smell and put it outside.IMO
I am glad you added the bit about it being your opinion - it is not shared and it is wrong.
What bit about the charcoal filter removing smells do you fail to grasp?
SOG does not create gasses - there is the same amount in the world with or without - it just filters the smell out.

(being an open system)
Part of the installation of a SOG is to seal up the vent on the top of the cassette to ensure that instead of venting into your van when pressure builds up the SOG vents through its fan. So far from you having a closed system, you have a system designed to emit gas into your van even with the flap closed, unlike SOG.

.Not sure if SOG is moving on or just another rippoff.
Given that major toilet manufacturers are designing in a SOG type system from new I suspect you and your views will be seen as a bit luddite.
As for a rip-off, can I ask just how much experience you have in creating and costing a design for small volume production?

Although my only connection with SOG is as a happy user ( I could not have used a van with a chemical toilet) I did spend a few years in yacht equipment design and as I have said before - it might be sh1t to you, but it was my bread and butter for years!

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I had no idea you were familiar with the 'others' who may have been outside my van

What is that? Ignore the noxious effects of toilet chemicals?

This is being disengenuous to say the least!
At home it all goes into the water and smell is limited compared to having an open tank full of poo and chemicals.

I am glad you added the bit about it being your opinion - it is not shared and it is wrong.
What bit about the charcoal filter removing smells do you fail to grasp?
SOG does not create gasses - there is the same amount in the world with or without - it just filters the smell out.

Part of the installation of a SOG is to seal up the vent on the top of the cassette to ensure that instead of venting into your van when pressure builds up the SOG vents through its fan. So far from you having a closed system, you have a system designed to emit gas into your van even with the flap closed, unlike SOG.

Given that major toilet manufacturers are designing in a SOG type system from new I suspect you and your views will be seen as a bit luddite.
As for a rip-off, can I ask just how much experience you have in creating and costing a design for small volume production?

Although my only connection with SOG is as a happy user ( I could not have used a van with a chemical toilet) I did spend a few years in yacht equipment design and as I have said before - it might be sh1t to you, but it was my bread and butter for years!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

WHAT A LOAD OF POO

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Roy
If "one" is doing the business inside how would "one" know what its like when ones neighbour is doing the B-B-Q outside???????

Very true ;but that's hypothetical Mel , i don't think sogger's have neighbours do they?, well not for long:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
hiya sam here,

we've got a SOG and it smells nice while spending time in the bathroom, lol no stinky blue goo smell..

as we use those RV little cystals, sprinkle stuff, thats green and can be poured down the bog and sink drains for a lovely smelling van ::bigsmile: (forgot there name tho! agh)

they can be brought from star spangled spanner :thumb: and last alot longer than blue goo.

as we switched from a normal bog to a SOG after spending time in germany, where they all use the SOG over there.
(and if your in motorhomefun you get a nice little discount too on the bog crystals :Cool:

we dont use the blue goo, as we brought some once from a caravan shop, put some down the bog and it disolved the BOG FULL lever, :Doh: inside it.. soo now we have to look down to see when its full. :whatthe:

you can use nothing in the bog holding tank, if you've got a SOG, they'll be a little smell, naturally.. but that fan really does pull all the smells out.

theres also a small charcoal brick, over the fan on the outside, which the smells go through, soo not many smells coming out the other end.. not unless you put your nose right upto it.. :Blush:

someone also put, about the SOG system in the summer, its alright in the warmer weather and works ok in 30+ heat :D
as we found out in spain in 2007. infact it cools you down while sitting on the bog, lol

so i'd say yes, get a SOG.. no more buying chemicals (blue goo) as you dont really need anything while you have a SOG, but if you dont like the smells,

then get some of that sani stuff? from star spangled spanner, you can buy one little bottle of those crystals, which will last a year..or more if you dont use the van that much.

you just measure 1 little lot of that stuff, as the bottle has a built in measuring cup, pour that down the bog and off you go, lovely smelling bog.

when emptying the bog, you just remove the pipe leading from the SOG (bog door) to the bog tank, put the cap over it.. then empty the bog, put it back in, pipe back on. and sprinkle some crystals down the bog. if it needs it?

the last time we emptyed our bog was afew days ago.. and we still dont need to put anything down the bog tank. as it still smells fresh. which is nice.

we brought our SOG from a motorhome show back in 2005, for a tenner.. (off a bloke who was selling bits & bobs outside his van :winky: along with a nice motorbike screen which we also took off him for our old virago.

if you dont want to buy a new one, then i'd try ebay.. and the charcoal bricks dont need replacing for years, you replace them when it starts to stink more i suppose? lol

hope this helps, from Sam.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
WHAT A LOAD OF POO
with an erudite answer like that I would suggest the chemicals are having an adverse effect on your thought processes - too many splashes on your brain perhaps?

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
with an erudite answer like that I would suggest the chemicals are having an adverse effect on your thought processes - too many splashes on your brain perhaps?

My thought processes are clear ;however, your ability to read leaves a lot to be desired, perhaps if you read a little slower you may be able to give a constructive response, rather than make up a load of poo.

Its you that seems to have chemicals on the brain, perhaps you could point out where i said i used them:Doh:
Happy pooing::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
you may be able to give a constructive response, rather than make up a load of poo.
We all spend our all time making poo - that's the only way of telling when some people are dead - no more poo.

We also all use chemicals - alcohol being the most abused perhaps.

My apologies if I suggested you used chemicals in your cassette - I had forgotten your earlier post where you describe how you manage your waste.
My apologies also to any boat owners who may have had to use a 'recirculating' toilet - I designed the one used for 10 years or so on Broads boats. If you think SOG or chemicals are bad then try flushing your toilet with 3 day old contents!!

Perhaps we all need to go back to the OPs question re SOG and give balanced reasons for its use or otherwise - not nonsense to the effect :- 'it just moves the smell to your neighbours'.

Warm regards,

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Right forget about the silliness.......I said, would a electric fan do the same job ...meaning use the vent out of the roof in the shower with a small tube venting the smell out of the roof, means no smell to your neighbor......I know living in France most people are on septic tanks and we need to vent the "GAS".......why do you need to de-compose the solids, surely they are just as easy to dispose in lumps as it is in liquid form......other funsters have said (the ones with a sog) that the smell when you come to dispose at the dump site, is disgusting and you do not want to be in a confined small room, and as you know sometimes there can be two or three people waiting for you to finish at the dump so they can use it ....is it because you have broken the solids down it smell so bad!!??
would a fan be just as good??????
Mel In France

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
the thing to remember about motorhomes toilets, is they are holding tanks not mini septic tanks or sewage processing stations.

they were designed to hold the deposits untill enough built up to dump into a proper sewer or septic tank where it will then be processed properly.

so when you start adding things like that yeast, microbes, and fans to help breakdown the solids, you are trying to turn the holding tank into a septic tank, and a septic tank needs to be vented as the process of breaking down the solids creates gas.

the standard bog tank has a vent valve yes, but it's spring loaded and there to release any pressure build up, i.e. driving up a mountian, as some people have found out when it sticks, you hear a hissing sound from the blade, those in the know keep the lid down and gently open the valve to let the air out, those that dont put their head down the bowl listening for the hissing noise, then open the blade fully... then spend the next week in and out of the shower trying to get the smell out of their hair.

Adding a sog means the vent is open all the time, but that's just turning the tank into an RV's type of holding tank, just the vent is thru the side of teh door via a filter instead of up a pipe to the roof.

sogs are german by design, and were brought out as a solution to the chemical ban happening in germany, a few sites already dont allow chemical loos to be emptied, and apparantly one day all will be like that, so the sog is a solution, but it does seem to create another problem,

it does break down the waste into a slurry, but in doing so is producing gas, and when you empty it, you know about it (of course some people have a less sensative nose to others)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back