Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
We are thinking of having a sog toilet fitted but would like a bit more information.
When it comes to emptying do you have to disconnect pipes or is there a bung to fit any holes made??????? any info appreciated
Maureen

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Sog ...

Hi Maureen, when emptying you simply remove the flexi pipe (to the fan) and push on a small cap to seal the cassete. The single most efficient upgrade for any van:thumb:

Regards Richard

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks Richard thats just what we wanted to find out
Cheers Maureen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I was thinking of a SOG a few years ago and did a lot of research.
When emptying the smell is appauling
more electrical parts means more poss problems (fan and micro switch)
The cost of a SOG kit works out to about 5 years worth of chemicals
So as you can work out we did not bother ::bigsmile:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I, unlike Hogan think that the SOG is the best thing since sliced bread.

True there is a different smell but I find the smell of the blue chemical more unpleasant then the untreated cassette.

Were the real benefit come in is that in you can go into the toilet immediately after some one else has used it and there is no smell of the previous occupant.

But, like all things its "horses for courses"

Doug

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
2 vans 2 SOGs fitted. Best investment Ive made. Smell? yes but no worse than any ordinary empty. Its just so convienient, not an investment to save money.

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
I totally agree, whilst its our first motorhome I've had many years of experience with chemical toilets and the stench that comes with them, our motorhome is the first thing that has come with a SOG and its great. Hardly any smell at all in the motorhome and just one pipe to disconnect and cap for emptying.

I wont say that it does not smell when emptying but i hadnt noticed it was any worse than anything else, plus you can wash it down a normal toilet since it does not contain any chemicals.

I dont know what the cost of fitting would be as ours was fitted to our second hand unit when purchased but I would most certainly consdider it if upgrading our van in the future.

Kevin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've never had one so can't comment on the end user satisfaction.. but I have been on the receiving end of a SOG on a hot summers day ... and I can tell you it is not pleasant..
Yes, I know there is a carbon exhaust filter but how many bother changing them... ?

Also, if your toilet door is on your awning side I would have second thoughts.. a friend of mine who had this issue extended the exhaust pipe onto his van roof.. that worked well.

Value for money ? well, for something that can't cost more than £20 to make a £100 + fitting seems like a rip off.. as already said, that buys a lot of chemicals.. and having to suffer the smell of emptying a 50 gal black tank..... give me the smell of the chemical any day ..

Jim

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I made my own SOG with advise from VICDICDOC:thumb: there's a full description on the dark side under the heading DIY SOG.It may have found it way on here :ROFLMAO: It was a project that I did with the intention of doing it as cheaply as possible, :thumb::thumb: which in the end cost me 2 cups of coffee and about 1 hrs work at the most.
I will see if I can paste a link but as I am now no longer a paid up member I am not sure if it will let me :ROFLMAO:
Sorry it will not let me do a search or anything- :ROFLMAO: not even let me login - just keeps saying welcome guest--never mind it is there loss :ROFLMAO:
I think I have all the parts to make one in my garage if you want to have a go :thumb:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant see the problem with the smell of chemicals/sh&t when emptying the cassette unless you stand with your nose over the hole for 10 mins.

it takes far less than 1 min to empty and another min to wash/rinse out.

try being in a confined space with our four dogs on the 'wrong' food.....
10 mins with your nose over the hole will be preferable.:ROFLMAO:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I don't find the smell of the chemicals unpleasant but I do find the untreated smell nauseating to put it politely - no SOG for me.

The thing I find difficult to understand is that many people are happy to buy a MH with a large engine and pay anything from 16p to 40p per mile for the fuel and then complain bitterly about the cost of the toilet chemicals, just a few pence per day. Is the cost of the chemicals significant?

Last edited:

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
we had a sog fitted 2 years ago, great bit of kit stiil on orignal carbon filter. would never go back to chemical blue

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks all its been really helpful but one more question can you use blue with the sog?? or is it considered to be extravagant to do so.
Thanks Terry your post was most interesting. I don't pay on the dark side either more info on here

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all its been really helpful but one more question can you use blue with the sog?? or is it considered to be extravagant to do so.
Thanks Terry your post was most interesting. I don't pay on the dark side either more info on here

theres no reason not to but it would be paying twice for the same service.:Doh:

the SOG draws oxygen into the cassette to aid natural decomposition but you dont mask the smell. it draws fumes out when the bowl valve is opened.

chemicals cause ,would you beleive, chemical decomposition AND masks the smell with perfumed additives.

you could always stick some cheap perfume in the SOG type bog or in the flush tank:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Maureen,just a couple of things I have found,but first I should mention that we used a 3 ins fan not the 2 bay fans in the pics :thumb:.The sog works good provided it is emptied every couple of days & before moving.:Eeek:If you do move off I leave water in the bowl because sometimes the sluice lets air / SMELL in through the seal :Eeek::ROFLMAO: and believe me you only do it once :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek::Eeek:OK it could be down to a faulty seal but it holds water??? so it is not that bad ??
Would I fit another ? probably but again it would have to cost next to nothing because the £80 plus buys a lot of blue stuff :thumb: The smell when emptying does not bother me at all,and when we park the van up on the drive I always empty and put some blue in the cassette while stored.:thumb::thumb:
Checked in the garage and there is a full diy kit if you want it.Minus the face blanking plate shown @about 60p to buy one or if you are like me wait until a sparky mate gets me one :thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Terry
Thanks very much for the offer of the kit its most kind of you but we think we will leave it at the moment until we can actually see one working some where.
Maureen

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

Maureen
I often use blue with my sog toilet if on sites or if i am returning home to empty after a rally etc. The reason being is that I allways think it adds a little bit of a nicer smell when emptying.

I don't find the smell of the chemicals unpleasant but I do find the untreated smell nauseating to put it politely - no SOG for me.

The thing I find difficult to understand is that many people are happy to buy a MH with a large engine and pay anything from 16p to 40p per mile for the fuel and then complain bitterly about the cost of the toilet chemicals, just a few pence per day. Is the cost of the chemicals significant?

Hi oldun,
Let me answer this question from our prospective and then hopefully you will understand.
There are four of us using our motorhome, two children rapidly becoming teenagers, myself and my wife oh + a dog. The sog is not just merely an invention to not utilise chemicals. The sog is very effective when people poo in a very confined space. With four of us say travelling and staying on aires this occurance is x4 per day. The sog eradicates this smell completely, and sucks it all outside. Prior to the sog, it was a case of when someone left the loo, it became a no go area for some time, and on some cases we would have to bail out:Blush: the van. This has been eradicated with the sog, I only wish I could have one fitted in my house :Angry:.
sorry for the crude reply but just wanted to balance up your cost V effectiveness arguement. Equally I have never came accross anyone that has had one fitted or made their own whom has said it was a waste of money. Only thing on that I would say is that it is exremely expensive for a computer fan and a few wires.:thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I personally wouldn't fit one of these SOG's ;but then there is just the two of us and the cassette really smells as it is emptied often. As for the chemical addertives i can'r abide the sickly perfumed smell. Fulltiming 15yrs using a cassette toilet no addertives and no problems.

Anyway for those that are into the SOG system and can well understand the need for one, when there are several people doing there business.(and a well trained dog)::bigsmile:

Do it yourself SOG click here

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
SOG rocks ...

Everyone is entitled to their view, but we prefer the smells outside the van, rather than absorbed in your nasal lining, clothes, curtains, furniture fabrics etc, but then there could be people who's poo does not smell:winky:

Regards Richard

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
then there could be people who's poo does not smell:winky:

Regards Richard

HRH The Queen's doesn't .. :winky: (allegedly)

On a serious note, if a Thetford is used correctly you get minimum smell..

Keep the shutter closed and half fill the bowl with water before pooing .. then flush. Opening before pooing is bound to cause a stink .. ewwww and line you up for an unexpected splash :roflmto:

Same procedure for vans with black tank systems.

Now this is bound to start a debate .. the motohomer's favourite topic :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Yes Jim,
But what you dont take in to account is the gas produced by the user when motions occur. When the gas is let go it creates a odour in the room that quickly feels the living area of the smells.

With a SOG the flap is open and those horrid gasses sucked out and placed outside, leaving the inside of the van smelling fresh.

And my poo does not smell, just ask my mother. :thumb:

would you like a copy of the bristol stool guide just to heighten our debate?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
With a SOG the flap is open and those horrid gasses sucked out and placed outside, leaving the inside of the van smelling fresh.

Of course and the magic carbon filter leaves the exhaust fumes as sweet as roses.. my ass ... { laughing }

I know different .. I was on the receiving end of a Dutch van's SOG exhaust and it was FOUL .. gggggrrrrrrrrrrrr .. {angry}

Join the NO smiley campaign today .. {rolls eyes}

and

Ban SOGs

Jim {laughing}

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Ah yes
but that was a dutch SOG (laughs)
I thought you were a seasoned traveller, everyone knows that continental SOGs are left hand smell!! (thumb up)

MAKE SOGS A COMPULSORY PURCHASE, JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP TO DO SO NOW

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year

Doesn't that lead to a real risk of splashback?

We have considered fitting a SOG until we realised that the loo had to be used with the flap open - or have I misunderstood?

Neil

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Doesn't that lead to a real risk of splashback?

We have considered fitting a SOG until we realised that the loo had to be used with the flap open - or have I misunderstood?

Neil

No Neil you are quite right, the toilet is used with the flap open. As for splash back I can honestly say that I have never experienced this and trust me I ve dropped some right corkers in there, you can even rate them here periodnuts - Rate My Poo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
No Neil you are quite right, the toilet is used with the flap open. As for splash back I can honestly say that I have never experienced this and trust me I ve dropped some right corkers in there, you can even rate them here periodnuts - Rate My Poo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:Eeek::Blush: yuck!

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I can only assume we have a some posts from non SOG owners here given the amount of FEAR about splashback.
If the flap is opened just enough to allow fluids to drain and the fan to come on, there is no risk of splashback and NO SMELLS in the van.
Any smells outside are the result of the owner being to stupid or too mean to replace the filter ( available from any french supermarket as a 'universal' chip pan filter for a few euros ).
There is no excuse for any smells in or out the van (until emptying).
This brings me to my pet hate - indoor emptying points!!
Best emptying point ever was on a campsite on Mull where the owner provided a 3 foot high bit of soil pipe with a slot just big enough for the spout of a cassette. Turn collar on soil pipe to expose slot - push spout in and upend and off it all goes - no splash - no smell.
What the hell are those HUGE square hoppers for on many camp sites - are they to allow the maximum spread, smell and splashback? Or are they a throwback to bucket and chuckit tugger times?
The brief smelly time emptying is a small price to pay for the lack of that nauseating chemical smell pemeating the whole van which you can smell from some ( non SOG ) campers clothes.
SOG - the Marmite of motorhomes!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back