Sog Toilet

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by MaureenD, Jul 18, 2009.

1. MaureenD

MaureenD Read Only Funster

We are thinking of having a sog toilet fitted but would like a bit more information.
    When it comes to emptying do you have to disconnect pipes or is there a bung to fit any holes made??????? any info appreciated
    Maureen

2. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

Sog ...

Hi Maureen, when emptying you simply remove the flexi pipe (to the fan) and push on a small cap to seal the cassete. The single most efficient upgrade for any van:thumb:

Regards Richard

3. MaureenD

Thanks Richard thats just what we wanted to find out
    Cheers Maureen

4. hogan

hogan Read Only Funster

I was thinking of a SOG a few years ago and did a lot of research.
    When emptying the smell is appauling
    more electrical parts means more poss problems (fan and micro switch)
    The cost of a SOG kit works out to about 5 years worth of chemicals
    So as you can work out we did not bother :BigGrin:

5. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I, unlike Hogan think that the SOG is the best thing since sliced bread.

True there is a different smell but I find the smell of the blue chemical more unpleasant then the untreated cassette.

Were the real benefit come in is that in you can go into the toilet immediately after some one else has used it and there is no smell of the previous occupant.

But, like all things its "horses for courses"

Doug

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

2 vans 2 SOGs fitted. Best investment Ive made. Smell? yes but no worse than any ordinary empty. Its just so convienient, not an investment to save money.

7. Tinyk

Tinyk Read Only Funster

I totally agree, whilst its our first motorhome I've had many years of experience with chemical toilets and the stench that comes with them, our motorhome is the first thing that has come with a SOG and its great. Hardly any smell at all in the motorhome and just one pipe to disconnect and cap for emptying.

I wont say that it does not smell when emptying but i hadnt noticed it was any worse than anything else, plus you can wash it down a normal toilet since it does not contain any chemicals.

I dont know what the cost of fitting would be as ours was fitted to our second hand unit when purchased but I would most certainly consdider it if upgrading our van in the future.

Kevin

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've never had one so can't comment on the end user satisfaction.. but I have been on the receiving end of a SOG on a hot summers day ... and I can tell you it is not pleasant..
    Yes, I know there is a carbon exhaust filter but how many bother changing them... ?

Also, if your toilet door is on your awning side I would have second thoughts.. a friend of mine who had this issue extended the exhaust pipe onto his van roof.. that worked well.

Value for money ? well, for something that can't cost more than £20 to make a £100 + fitting seems like a rip off.. as already said, that buys a lot of chemicals.. and having to suffer the smell of emptying a 50 gal black tank..... give me the smell of the chemical any day ..

Jim

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  9. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi I made my own SOG with advise from VICDICDOC:thumb: there's a full description on the dark side under the heading DIY SOG.It may have found it way on here :Rofl1: It was a project that I did with the intention of doing it as cheaply as possible, :thumb::thumb: which in the end cost me 2 cups of coffee and about 1 hrs work at the most.
    I will see if I can paste a link but as I am now no longer a paid up member I am not sure if it will let me :Rofl1:
    Sorry it will not let me do a search or anything- :Rofl1: not even let me login - just keeps saying welcome guest--never mind it is there loss :Rofl1:
    I think I have all the parts to make one in my garage if you want to have a go :thumb:
    terry

10. Terry

Terry Funster

heres another

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

cant see the problem with the smell of chemicals/sh&t when emptying the cassette unless you stand with your nose over the hole for 10 mins.

it takes far less than 1 min to empty and another min to wash/rinse out.

try being in a confined space with our four dogs on the 'wrong' food.....
    10 mins with your nose over the hole will be preferable.:Rofl1:

12. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

I don't find the smell of the chemicals unpleasant but I do find the untreated smell nauseating to put it politely - no SOG for me.

The thing I find difficult to understand is that many people are happy to buy a MH with a large engine and pay anything from 16p to 40p per mile for the fuel and then complain bitterly about the cost of the toilet chemicals, just a few pence per day. Is the cost of the chemicals significant?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  13. cpease

cpease Read Only Funster

we had a sog fitted 2 years ago, great bit of kit stiil on orignal carbon filter. would never go back to chemical blue

14. MaureenD

Thanks all its been really helpful but one more question can you use blue with the sog?? or is it considered to be extravagant to do so.
    Thanks Terry your post was most interesting. I don't pay on the dark side either more info on here

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

theres no reason not to but it would be paying twice for the same service.:Doh:

the SOG draws oxygen into the cassette to aid natural decomposition but you dont mask the smell. it draws fumes out when the bowl valve is opened.

chemicals cause ,would you beleive, chemical decomposition AND masks the smell with perfumed additives.

you could always stick some cheap perfume in the SOG type bog or in the flush tank:thumb:

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Maureen,just a couple of things I have found,but first I should mention that we used a 3 ins fan not the 2 bay fans in the pics :thumb:.The sog works good provided it is emptied every couple of days & before moving.:Eeek:If you do move off I leave water in the bowl because sometimes the sluice lets air / SMELL in through the seal :Eeek::Rofl1: and believe me you only do it once :Rofl1::Rofl1::Eeek::Eeek:OK it could be down to a faulty seal but it holds water??? so it is not that bad ??
    Would I fit another ? probably but again it would have to cost next to nothing because the £80 plus buys a lot of blue stuff :thumb: The smell when emptying does not bother me at all,and when we park the van up on the drive I always empty and put some blue in the cassette while stored.:thumb::thumb:
    Checked in the garage and there is a full diy kit if you want it.Minus the face blanking plate shown @about 60p to buy one or if you are like me wait until a sparky mate gets me one :thumb::thumb::Rofl1:
    terry

17. MaureenD

Hi Terry
    Thanks very much for the offer of the kit its most kind of you but we think we will leave it at the moment until we can actually see one working some where.
    Maureen

18. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Maureen
    I often use blue with my sog toilet if on sites or if i am returning home to empty after a rally etc. The reason being is that I allways think it adds a little bit of a nicer smell when emptying.

Hi oldun,
    Let me answer this question from our prospective and then hopefully you will understand.
    There are four of us using our motorhome, two children rapidly becoming teenagers, myself and my wife oh + a dog. The sog is not just merely an invention to not utilise chemicals. The sog is very effective when people poo in a very confined space. With four of us say travelling and staying on aires this occurance is x4 per day. The sog eradicates this smell completely, and sucks it all outside. Prior to the sog, it was a case of when someone left the loo, it became a no go area for some time, and on some cases we would have to bail out:Blush: the van. This has been eradicated with the sog, I only wish I could have one fitted in my house :Angry:.
    sorry for the crude reply but just wanted to balance up your cost V effectiveness arguement. Equally I have never came accross anyone that has had one fitted or made their own whom has said it was a waste of money. Only thing on that I would say is that it is exremely expensive for a computer fan and a few wires.:thumb:

19. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

I personally wouldn't fit one of these SOG's ;but then there is just the two of us and the cassette really smells as it is emptied often. As for the chemical addertives i can'r abide the sickly perfumed smell. Fulltiming 15yrs using a cassette toilet no addertives and no problems.

Anyway for those that are into the SOG system and can well understand the need for one, when there are several people doing there business.(and a well trained dog):BigGrin:

Do it yourself SOG click here

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  20. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

SOG rocks ...

Everyone is entitled to their view, but we prefer the smells outside the van, rather than absorbed in your nasal lining, clothes, curtains, furniture fabrics etc, but then there could be people who's poo does not smell:Wink:

Regards Richard