Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi I have just been reading some of the posts on the newbie section and I am interested on your views on the sog toilet system. Our new to us motorhome has a sog fitted and we have never heard of this before, I understand you dont need chemicals? Does it smell? does it work well? and for all those who have it fitted have you just still added chemicals just to make sure, lots of different views out there please advise. thanks Lynne::bigsmile:

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
Excellent, no smell, no chemicals needed. Had it fitted for 2.5 years ad would not go back to the old system of using chemiclas.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They are OK, but if you are emptying everyday I wouldn't bother with chemicals or getting a sog. IMO it really is throwing good money away. The chemicals can stink more than the poo!

I tried them all, tablets, bags, liquid but in the end I saved my money used nothing and hardly noticed the difference when using or dumping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
They are OK, but if you are emptying everyday I wouldn't bother with chemicals or getting a sog. IMO it really is throwing good money away. The chemicals can stink more than the poo!

I tried them all, tablets, bags, liquid but in the end I saved my money used nothing and hardly noticed the difference when using or dumping.

:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I made my own, cost £ 0 - only way to do it :thumb: works fine but I would never pay £ 90 for one :ROFLMAO: £90 buys a lot of chemicals
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
we have one and the main benefit is stopping the smells coming back in to the van. I do sometimes use a little bit of chemicals but rarely. Smells no worse with or without.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I fitted a Sog about a year ago. Great system in my view. We don't use chemicals and that means we can dump in septic tanks (and public toilets in wild places like the Highlands) without concern. Always make sure there is no-one in, or waiting for the public toilet first though.

Some people will complain that the Sog is an anti-social thing to empty as there is no chemical smell to mask the natural odour. I don't find it a problem, but have to admit that it is best if you can dump in one of those emptying points with a narrow opening. It seems to contain the smell a bit better. One key point to using it is don't wash out the cassette too thoroughly. I always give it a swill round with clean water after discharge, but the system relies on natural bacteria for breakdown so don't try and get it too sparkling between dumps.

Philip

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
great advice thanks to everybody we will tell you what we think after the first couple of weekends, but I don't epmty the toilet, hubby does that, what a great job!!!!

Oct 1, 2009
Near Tenterden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Since 2009
We hate the smell of the chemicals so the SOG system works great for us.

No smells and no complaints whatsoever.

RECOMMENDED:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Over the years we tried them all.
Blue - stink more than anything.
Green - better but only marginally.
Bio Magic - OK but expensive.
Nowt - A bit smelly but not as bad some say.

I read on another forum :winky: that Bio washing liquid was good so i tried that. Got to Spain and not available, couldn't find any anywhere, so used ordinary laundry liquid and it made emptying much better. A cup full in the tank each time makes it a much more pleasant experience and a lot less cost than those chemicals. These are highly scented and maybe that's the difference, it sure works for me. :thumb:
So now home, and Tesco laundry Bio liquid is the dogs.

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Like you our SOG was already on the van when we got it, it's really good, fan drags out any smells which go through the charcoal filter in the door, no smells in the van and no running out of expensive additives!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Got one would never be without one, a bit smelly when empting. No smells in in the van even after a curry night.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you want to add anything i'd recommend Oxy-Clean washing crystals/powder.

organic matter, to put it politely, needs oxygen as well as bacteria to break down and the oxy-clean releases oxygen into the water/liquid.

smells ok too. :thumb:

but apart for when you empty it, where it may be a lot stronger, there should be no smell from a SOG.

as Jim said, empty every day and the chemical hasnt really had time to do anything and is wasted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back