So, you want to uprate your van to carry a bigger payload?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Allanm, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Allanm

Allanm Funster

This is what I just did, and I thought it might be a good idea to share my experience
    First off, we have a new Autosleeper Broadway FB with the premium pack
    I took it on the weighbridge and discovered I had a lot less payload than I thought, so I researched uprating and this is what I did.

First up, I rang A/S and asked if it was feasible to uprate
    Sure, was the reply, you can go up to 3700kg with no modifications. Over that and you might need rear air suspension and new tyres. Call SvTech.co.uk and they will sort you out
    So, I called them, they emailed me a form to fill in with my vehicle details and new weight required. A few days later I got confirmation that 3700kg required just a new plate and certificate and change of taxation class to PHGV.
    Cost was £312 which I paid by bank transfer.
    A week later the new plate arrived with all the info and forms to take to DVLA
    So, this morning, after fitting the new plate ( it's a stick on, non removeable type) I went to our local DVLA office and got my new Tax Disc, a temp logbook ( new one arrives in 4 weeks) and a £50 refund ( through the post in six weeks)
    Excellent service all round. My van now has a 500kg payload, road tax is £165 per year and I can drive around confident that I will never fear VOSA and the European equivalents

Now to refit those rear corner steadies

Just one thing to note though, ALL local DVLA offices will close from 22nd November this year, so everything will have to be posted to Swansea after that!
    Allan

• Like Like x 2
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the following close on 13th Dec 2013

Birmingham
    Borehamwood
    Bristol
    Cardiff
    Glasgow
    Leeds
    Manchester
    Newcastle
    Northampton
    Nottingham
    Portsmouth
    Preston
    Wimbledon

3. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi AllanM, I am going through the same process with SV Tech. Hopefully our new plate and the paperwork will be waiting for us when we return home at the end of the month. I take it that the DVLA did not want to inspect the vehicle, SV Tech has told us it will not be necessary. We will be going to the Wimbledon office and were also told an appointment is not needed.

Brisey.

4. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I think they only inspect if there has been mods to achieve the new weight. SvTech supply all the forms, I just had to fill in the V70, take my insurance doc, tax disc and certificate showing a copy of the new plate. I needed a temp log book as we are off to France on Saturday. There was no charge. I got the new tax disc there and then( same expiry date as the old one) and the refund was calculated.
    Took about 15 minutes all told.
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  5. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

do you actually have to go through svtech?years ago i down plated a lorry and purely dealt with dvla via the local test center

6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

No you don't, someone on this forum has done it themselves a lot cheaper. But it was easier and probably faster to get SvTech to do it for me
    Allan

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

>> My van now has a 500kg payload

But you have to have/keep the 7.7 tonnes licence.

8. Speve

Speve Funster

Van uprate

Hi I bought a new Autotrail Tracker this year and was dubious about the payload claims so as soon a we got it we loaded up and took her to the weighbridge, found it to be over weight on back axle and could not redistribute the weight without compromising front axle ,went to S V Tech and took their advice changed tyres and fitted air suspension to rear which gives me a lot more flexibility over weight distribution without the worry of being caught out by VOSA now have total weight of 3850kg well worth the cost for peace of mind and SV Tech were really helpful,I think dealers could give more information and advice when selling to ensure you are buying a van with enough payload and offer an uprate service as well as the downrate they are so quick to offer:thumb:
    No one has asked to see mods DVLA returned my updated logbook without needing further info or sight of van

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. maz

maz Funster

Another one very happy with SV Tech. Only had to send the paperwork they produced together with the reg doc to the DVLA - that was it. Now have a healthy 1.3 tonne payload. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Allanm

Allanm Funster

True, but I have the C1 category on my licence and a good few years before I need to worry about what will be necessary then to keep it
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

my brother found out this morning that he has lost his c1 at 70 due to his eyes being over 8 he is well annoyed as it cost him 120 to have the medical done if they had told him of the eye thing he wouldnt have applied
    i cant see the difference between driving a 150mph car and driving a 3.7 tonne van with regards to eyesight

12. electricscott

electricscott Funster

funny I have very poor service from svtech. my 1st email was back in May and several emails and a phone call they only response was they very busy at the moment. not trying to knock them, it is their choice to pass up a £350 but I am interested in the chap that did it himself and what procedure he follow.

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

fifth wheel is the answer .
    tow unit upto 3.500kg can tow any weight trailer so long as the tow vehicles trainweight isnt broken . that can be 11ton . driven on a b+e .
    avoids medicals .
    having had many discusions with sv tec i find them very helpfull and friendly .

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  14. Kevc

Kevc Funster

other questions

Hi Folks

Still trying to understand all the limits etc, I like the idea of getting an extra coupe of hundred kilos to play with as just a paperwork exercise, and understand the tax is cheaper, but what other affects does it have?

ie, is it a different MOT?
    does it change insurance greatly?

Also understand the need for licence etc, but any other answers appreciated

Thanks in advance

Kev

15. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Same MOT class but you should tell your insurers. Depends who you are with but it shouldn't affect your policy much, if at all
    Allan

16. timetochill

timetochill Funster

Very interested, what about the 3.5tonne weight restrictions on some roads?

17. aba

aba

If you are over then you shouldn't use it but a motorhome of 3 ton don't look that much different to a motorhome of 4 ton only problem is the police and Vosa have access to its weight via number plate recognition cameras.

18. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Are there many roads with 3.5 ton weight restrictions? I know we have some 7.5 ton restricted roads near us. I guess it would be best to avoid them though as Andy says. Just in case!
    Allan

19. cranky

cranky Funster

Having just weighed my van I am also going down the SV Tech route.
    By the way, for anyone in my area, Tabrums Farm public weighbridge on the road from Rettendon to Woodham Ferrers costs £10 and is open 0730-1600 Mon-Fri. phone number is 01245 320251.If you are just turning up ring the bell on the weighbridge office if there is no one about.
    C