So, you want to uprate your van to carry a bigger payload? (2 Viewers)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
This is what I just did, and I thought it might be a good idea to share my experience
First off, we have a new Autosleeper Broadway FB with the premium pack
I took it on the weighbridge and discovered I had a lot less payload than I thought, so I researched uprating and this is what I did.

First up, I rang A/S and asked if it was feasible to uprate
Sure, was the reply, you can go up to 3700kg with no modifications. Over that and you might need rear air suspension and new tyres. Call SvTech.co.uk and they will sort you out
So, I called them, they emailed me a form to fill in with my vehicle details and new weight required. A few days later I got confirmation that 3700kg required just a new plate and certificate and change of taxation class to PHGV.
Cost was £312 which I paid by bank transfer.
A week later the new plate arrived with all the info and forms to take to DVLA
So, this morning, after fitting the new plate ( it's a stick on, non removeable type) I went to our local DVLA office and got my new Tax Disc, a temp logbook ( new one arrives in 4 weeks) and a £50 refund ( through the post in six weeks)
Excellent service all round. My van now has a 500kg payload, road tax is £165 per year and I can drive around confident that I will never fear VOSA and the European equivalents

Now to refit those rear corner steadies

Just one thing to note though, ALL local DVLA offices will close from 22nd November this year, so everything will have to be posted to Swansea after that!
Allan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the following close on 13th Dec 2013

Birmingham
Borehamwood
Bristol
Cardiff
Glasgow
Leeds
Manchester
Newcastle
Northampton
Nottingham
Portsmouth
Preston
Wimbledon

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi AllanM, I am going through the same process with SV Tech. Hopefully our new plate and the paperwork will be waiting for us when we return home at the end of the month. I take it that the DVLA did not want to inspect the vehicle, SV Tech has told us it will not be necessary. We will be going to the Wimbledon office and were also told an appointment is not needed.

Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I think they only inspect if there has been mods to achieve the new weight. SvTech supply all the forms, I just had to fill in the V70, take my insurance doc, tax disc and certificate showing a copy of the new plate. I needed a temp log book as we are off to France on Saturday. There was no charge. I got the new tax disc there and then( same expiry date as the old one) and the refund was calculated.
Took about 15 minutes all told.
Allan

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
do you actually have to go through svtech?years ago i down plated a lorry and purely dealt with dvla via the local test center

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
No you don't, someone on this forum has done it themselves a lot cheaper. But it was easier and probably faster to get SvTech to do it for me
Allan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> My van now has a 500kg payload

But you have to have/keep the 7.7 tonnes licence.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Van uprate

Hi I bought a new Autotrail Tracker this year and was dubious about the payload claims so as soon a we got it we loaded up and took her to the weighbridge, found it to be over weight on back axle and could not redistribute the weight without compromising front axle ,went to S V Tech and took their advice changed tyres and fitted air suspension to rear which gives me a lot more flexibility over weight distribution without the worry of being caught out by VOSA now have total weight of 3850kg well worth the cost for peace of mind and SV Tech were really helpful,I think dealers could give more information and advice when selling to ensure you are buying a van with enough payload and offer an uprate service as well as the downrate they are so quick to offer:thumb:
No one has asked to see mods DVLA returned my updated logbook without needing further info or sight of van

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Another one very happy with SV Tech. Only had to send the paperwork they produced together with the reg doc to the DVLA - that was it. Now have a healthy 1.3 tonne payload. ::bigsmile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my brother found out this morning that he has lost his c1 at 70 due to his eyes being over 8 he is well annoyed as it cost him 120 to have the medical done if they had told him of the eye thing he wouldnt have applied
i cant see the difference between driving a 150mph car and driving a 3.7 tonne van with regards to eyesight

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
funny I have very poor service from svtech. my 1st email was back in May and several emails and a phone call they only response was they very busy at the moment. not trying to knock them, it is their choice to pass up a £350 but I am interested in the chap that did it himself and what procedure he follow.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
fifth wheel is the answer .
tow unit upto 3.500kg can tow any weight trailer so long as the tow vehicles trainweight isnt broken . that can be 11ton . driven on a b+e .
avoids medicals .
having had many discusions with sv tec i find them very helpfull and friendly .

Last edited:

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
other questions

Hi Folks

Still trying to understand all the limits etc, I like the idea of getting an extra coupe of hundred kilos to play with as just a paperwork exercise, and understand the tax is cheaper, but what other affects does it have?

ie, is it a different MOT?
does it change insurance greatly?

Also understand the need for licence etc, but any other answers appreciated

Thanks in advance

Kev

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Same MOT class but you should tell your insurers. Depends who you are with but it shouldn't affect your policy much, if at all
Allan

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Very interested, what about the 3.5tonne weight restrictions on some roads?

If you are over then you shouldn't use it but a motorhome of 3 ton don't look that much different to a motorhome of 4 ton only problem is the police and Vosa have access to its weight via number plate recognition cameras.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Are there many roads with 3.5 ton weight restrictions? I know we have some 7.5 ton restricted roads near us. I guess it would be best to avoid them though as Andy says. Just in case!
Allan

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Having just weighed my van I am also going down the SV Tech route.
By the way, for anyone in my area, Tabrums Farm public weighbridge on the road from Rettendon to Woodham Ferrers costs £10 and is open 0730-1600 Mon-Fri. phone number is 01245 320251.If you are just turning up ring the bell on the weighbridge office if there is no one about.
C

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back