So who lives in Kent?

Discussion in 'Rally Planning Discussion and Chat' started by slobadoberbob, Nov 14, 2011.

1. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Kent being one of the larger shire counties seems to have less meets / rallies / shows than many other areas.

Why is it people only come here to speed along the M2 or M20 to the channel ports.

I seem to put thousands of miles on the clock each year going North or West .. in fact I can go to France and see a fair bit with say the combined mileage in September that I did to Shepton show and the Lincoln show.

We have a very big county show ground just off the M2 at Detling, the Ardingly showground just over the border surry/sussex of the M23. Plus we have the hop farm at beltring that hosts the war and peace show with thousands of military vehicles each summer. So we have the space.. just wish someone was willing or able to organise a decent size meet. How I would love just to drive a handful of miles rather than usual 300 to 500 miles round trip.

Bob

• Like Like x 3
  2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

You can put us down for it Bob.......just let us know the date you have arranged:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Well I think they should have built the channel tunnel up north so us poor northerners wouldn't have to drive all the way dahn sahf.
    Lets face it Bob you have the channel ports, it would have only been fair for us to have a link from say Birmingham across country to Belgium.
    Its OK for you people living down in the garden of England to just nip over the water for the weekend but what about the distance we lot have to travel to stock up for Christmas.
    If I could afford to live in the affluent south I wouldn't bother about an odd meet or two,Id be off to France every weekend,no time for whippets and flat caps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Viennese

Viennese Funster

We have had 2 trips to Kent to look at interesting things and enjoy the countryside... and neither involved a cross Channel ferry...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Yes, I'd be interested in coming back to Kent too!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Sounds good to me Bob (sloberdobberbobajobber) were you a cub-scout?

I'll not be organizing it but would happily attend.

As for Norf / Sarf divide, if you spent some the disposable income that you enjoy ooop Norf as opposed to the non disposable income we have in the sarf, you wouldn't mind sticking your hand in your pocket to buy the fuel to get down to where WE have built the English Channel Tunnel for your convenience.
    :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Stick us ands in us pockets eh....We only do that when weather gets chilly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

There used to be a show at Brands Hatch years ago, a good one.

Some of the clubs used to have a rally at the Detling Steam Fair, if that still runs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Kentshire?

I really should research before I post! Kent, being a non-Metropolitan county, is indeed a Shire county. Apologies.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think you partially answered your own question, Bob, in that Kent is bang in the south of the country. Detling is around 280 miles from here, a trip of 5 or 6 hours or so.

We've been to Detling Showground 3 times for events since we got the van but the last time we made the trip we had a few days stop off elsewhere on the way. If we did so in future we would try to combine the event with others as it is a heck of a lot of travelling for a couple of days otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

We have had a couple of meets in Kent in Deal, we also did a lot C&CC DA meets this summer, it's a bit like going away with your Mum and Dad but a good laugh, even if they are tucked up in bed by 9 oclock:Rofl1:

All joking aside they have some really nice venues, so if you are in the C&CC Bob it may be worth looking at them in the future, quite a few of us funsters can be found at them:thumb:

12. Mavis

Mavis Funster

13. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Just been away the the so called " 9 o'clock club " had a great weekend, and a lot of the younger members went to bed earlier, us and many older members never came out the hall until midnight. :thumb: :Wink: The reason they go to bed early sometimes is they :wine::wine::wine::wine:
    :beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug: all day, and it gets the better of them. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

When is the meet Bob ? We could be up for it. :thumb:

As Dane says we funsters have had a few meets in Kent, and we will bring the party tent.:thumb: Bob.

• Like Like x 2
  14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Swifty boy lives in Kent .. :BigGrin:

drat.. just remembered he was banned for just living there :Doh:

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mavis

Mavis Funster

Im a maid of Kent does that mean Im banned ????:Sad::cry::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We are planning on spending a few days at the War and Peace Show, Hop Farm, Paddock Wood, Tonbridge next year...........:BigGrin:

Looking forward to nights out in the period dress. Anyone out there got a battle dress uniform for someone six foot three?:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

ditto

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Count me out of the Hop Farm.

I went there last year having promised my young daughter we could go to Santa's grotto.

I didnt research it but assumed it would be £15 a head or that sort of thing. it was nearer £60 each:Eeek:

That would have been £240 for the 4 of us.

Had to break a promise unfortunately:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  19. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Kent isnt to far from Waldegraves on mersea Island why dont you join us xxxx

20. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Me too, the only trouble is Iv'e been through all the post and still can't find where the meet is, can anyone enlighten me?:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2