So where shall I take the kids?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TheWM, Aug 17, 2015.

1. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

So my cast came off on Thursday, and I can see a very small light at the end of the tunnel (albeit I may need another operation). I'm still basically immobile, but am in ,a boot and hope to start building up strength in my leg. We're off to the Sunshine festival for the B/H later this month and then were planning to take a week after to spend our first whole week in the MH!

So, given that I'm not very mobile and walking far is out of the question (I can probably manage 1\3 mile on crutches), what I'd like is a campsite that has a play area for kids, pool perhaps, but most importantly, easy access to get places. Wales is our initial thought and following a search on here I stumbled across http://www.islawrffordd.co.uk/contact.htm although at £36 per night it's not cheap.

So, all the funsters - what do you have for me, I'd love your recommendations. I have a 15 month old boy who loves charging at anything, and a 4 year old daughter who loves play areas. The missus would love to go swimming/beach and I, erm, am happy with a local pub that has good food and even better beer! As I said, I'd like to be able to walk about everywhere, oh a nearby shop too for supplies would be ace. Any ideas?

2. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Could try Somerset.

Unity farm, although it's a long time since it was a farm and prefers to be Unity Resort now, sand, (and sometimes the sea comes in) take your Mo Ho on the beach for the day, funfair, markets, carboots, swimming pool, pubs, entertainment for kids, bike hire, and fully serviced pitches so not far to go to fill up and empty (on your pitch) and bus stop outside the gate to Weston or Burnham

Www.hru.co.uk

Or in fact any of the other site on coast road, warren farm, Northern farm. All large commercial sites now.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  3. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

http://www.pentirehaven.co.uk

Devon Cornish border!
    How about this place we had a great few days here with the kids at half term it's a great place to tour about from.
    There's free use of the facilities at the neighbouring resort,including a large indoor pool ,jacuzzi ,steam room ,restaurant and bar,there's even evening entertainment for the kids and adults in the Cabaret bar.
    A short drive away is a kiddy fun park where after a reasonable admission charge everything is free it's called the Milky Way
    http://www.themilkyway.co.uk
    You can take your own picnic or use the restaurants ,we spent the whole day and loved it .
    There are numerous good beaches in the area and loads to see and do.

Vlad

4. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

These both sound great and I'd be up for it, I fear the missus may want a more 'traditional' campsite, but then she is a bit of a snob...! Only kidding, I'm forever trying to get her to go to Butlins or similar but she prefers a quieter type affair. I'll show her when she gets back.

5. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

The pentirehaven site is a quiet traditional campsite with a small site shop and small outdoor pool ,It has no bar or clubhouse and has no connection with the Haven group. You can have the best of both worlds !
    The complex next door cannot be heard and is a lodge only site no caravans or tents. My wife is not quite a snob however sometimes thinks she is a cut above and even she liked it!

Vlad

6. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Awesome!

7. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

@trekkin we're booked into hru. If nothing else there's loads for the kids which is the main thing. Are there (good) pubs and restaurants nearby that are close? Any recommendations?

@Vlad The Impaler next year Bude when I can walk and do a bit of surfing.

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

billing aquadrome near northampton is very popular with families as loads to do for the kids. plus its not too far to travel for you as you convalesce

9. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Please do not go to Billing it will put your wife off motorhoming forever

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i was going to add billing is my idea of hell on earth, but then again your needs for entertaining kids is different to ours for peace and quiet

• Like Like x 1
  11. big map

big map Funster Life Member

12. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Lol! Been to billing many years ago as we used to go to Santa pod 4/5 times a year +. One weekend we 'over did' it and stayed at billing before coming home the next day. The missus announced she would rather stay at home the next time! I think she's pretty keen on Brean actually, especially as she's driving it's only an hour from Malvern and then a 4 hour drive back which should be doable. I need to get my sky working on the satellite and then also find a couple of decent boozers and that i can walk (shuffle on crutches) and I'll be happy to!

13. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

No real restaurants , unless you call Wimpy one, but lots of pubs, mostly with sky so if it's on its on a Brean. Plenty of pub food though.
    Kids will find lots to do, you will be luck to see them through the day, and for evening adult shows

Have a great break

14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We stayed at a site in St Ives a few years ago called Polmanter ( I think).

Play area, pool, bar etc ( but unless things have changed avoid the food)

It was a pretty nice site with decent facilities and didn't have that awful Haven feel about it.

Edit - this is it http://polmanter.co.uk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Makes me feel old last time I went there was 1968 or 1969.:)