So where are you guys getting Solar panels fitted and how much are they? (3 Viewers)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
forward thinking for the summer I am looking to get some Solar panels fitted as we spec out the Swift 696 ready for the European run.

I have seen a few examples of kits online but really I just want to drop it at somewhere. Go for lunch then come back and pick it up.

How much would I expect to pay for a reasonable system? We have a Leisure battery fitted so want a system that will do more than just run an iPhone charger. Not sure what performance I can expect verses money spent etc?

We live in Sheffield so fitter she close to there that people can recommend if you know.

Thanks

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Solar energy solutions of Norfolk are always the cheapest at the shows and I have never had a problem with mine. They also do domestic installs so they have a sound background in solar power.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
IMG_3379.JPG
Having just looked at the set up I see I could get a bigger battery in the current box. It's currently an 80ah Yuasa unit but there is a few inch of room left for a wider one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
View attachment 135777 Having just looked at the set up I see I could get a bigger battery in the current box. It's currently an 80ah Yuasa unit but there is a few inch of room left for a wider one.
Wow, that's a small battery box! You certainly need more than 80 AH IMHO. Our van had a 100 ah leisure, we doubled that to 2 x 100 AH batteries, and it still isn't enough, so going up to 4, and then that really is all of our battery areas filled. If we still run out of power then we may need to cut back on microwave usage when on 12v :D

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
will the battery fit the other way aroudn? if it will you might be able to get two in there (mine are two 120 ah but it's a self build and so heaps of space for them

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
will the battery fit the other way aroudn? if it will you might be able to get two in there (mine are two 120 ah but it's a self build and so heaps of space for them

Been told its a bit on the small side :(

Its does look a bit pathetic for the size of the van and how much stuff you can or want to run for an evenings fun.

Thinking ill initially look for the biggest and best battery I can squeeze in there and then add solar panels as planned. That should at lease make it a usable system for off grid for a day and night. We will probably be on EHU most of the time for a while while we get into the hobby but I really want longer term to be a lot more self sufficient.

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Worth a scout aroudn see if anywhere else in the van you could safely stow a battery or two

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We will probably be on EHU most of the time for a while while we get into the hobby but I really want longer term to be a lot more self sufficient.
I wouldn't waste a penny on batteries or solar panels until you've spent a little time using your van and learned how much power you actually use off grid.
Have you proven that your existing set up doesn't work for you ?

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Been told its a bit on the small side :(
LOL I will avoid the obvious gag and continue :D With the current winter conditions, usable charging from the sun ends at around 4pm, that is assuming that you have a sunny day. On a sunny day in winter, in England, the best you can expect is roughly 1 amp down from the panels.
I will give you a power consumption example! On a recent trip to Cheddar, we got all batteries to 100% prior to the journey. We left the heating on whilst we toured the caves (so it was toasty warm when we got back). We arrived back at the van, it was indeed toasty warm, so we left doggy in the van and went for tea in the pub we were parked in. When we arrived back, we switched on the TV, and inverter to charge various gadgets, and run our WiFi router. Our daughter insists on having her light on overnight, and it was so cold, we left the blown air running all night.
When we woke up in the morning, the batteries were down to 12.2v only just enough to fire up the coffee machine on the inverter! :D
That doesn't sound like a lot of usage, but the battery monitor told us we had used 80AH overnight, that is the total capacity of your battery! On an 80AH battery, only 40 is usable!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do just get fixated on solar , a b 2 b charger will give you power on a dull day or winter etc when a solar panel will not. Just a another idea.

We use our van throughout the winter in the UK and Northern France and our solar panels cope perfectly well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I wouldn't waste a penny on batteries or solar panels until you've spent a little time using your van and learned how much power you actually use off grid.
Have you proven that your existing set up doesn't work for you ?

What got me thinking was fitting the TV the other day. I had the heating on gas for about 1.5 hours running off the lesure battery. most lights on and the TV for about 30mins. Then the low battery alarm started beeping at me.

Thats no where near enough for anyone.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
What got me thinking was fitting the TV the other day. I had the heating on gas for about 1.5 hours running off the lesure battery. most lights on and the TV for about 30mins. Then the low battery alarm started beeping at me.

Thats no where near enough for anyone.
maybe your battery is on the way out?

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
In contrast; until today I only had one of my two batteries actually in the van, so 120 ah of battery and 200W of solar panel. I've not yet installed the mains charger to the van, and so that 120 ah battery and its solar panels have been the sole power to all of my conversion so far - apart from a single vacuum clean with the Dyson (too powerful for the inverter). Most of my work has been in an evening with lights on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
85W solar panel & 110Ah leisure battery worked fine for us, BUT we ran everything off 12v (no inverter), had all LED lighting and very few gadgets. Pump, Telly, Lights, and a bit of gizmo recharging every now and again.

Now getting a new MH with 100W solar panel as standard fit, and a 100Ah battery, but more 12v gadgets to run. Fortunately there's space for a second battery and I'm thinking I might fill it. Horses for courses and so on.

Monocrystalline panels are generally considered the best. There are cheaper options but they're less efficient.

Upvote 0

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Extra batteries ...... all that does is extend the time between charges or allow greater loads for a short time.

Battery bank and the ability to re-charge should be matched to usage.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Extra batteries ...... all that does is extend the time between charges or allow greater loads for a short time.

Battery bank and the ability to re-charge should be matched to usage.
When you get back to work Monday tell the boss he needn't pay you so much this week cos you didn't need it all.
Like your wages, batteries and solar should in a perfect world exceed your needs, by how much
depends on the value you put on convenience
Dont fall into the trap of skimping on a solar budget either forget it or go for it, one that doesn't quite meet your needs might as well not be there
The cost is soon forgotton over the joys of ones system working well
G

Upvote 0

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
When you get back to work Monday tell the boss he needn't pay you so much this week cos you didn't need it all.
Not going in on Monday, haven't bothered for the last twelve years.;)

Like your wages, batteries and solar should in a perfect world exceed your needs, by how much
depends on the value you put on convenience

I think I said similar. Battery bank and the ability to re-charge should be matched to usage. (your bold)

Don't fall into the trap of skimping on a solar budget either forget it or go for it, one that doesn't quite meet your needs might as well not be there

Agreed

The cost is soon forgotten over the joys of ones system working well
Agreed

My system 4*100watt, wired series parallel into 6 batteries, wired series parallel to give 390 amp.hrs at 24v

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Possible. The van is new to us but its just over a year old so maybe its just been sat die'ing as it only had 2800 miles on it. Not much use really

New big battery will be going in next week and can see how that does.
Might be worth considering a gel battery rather than lead acid as you can discharge them upto 80% rather than 50% for lead acid.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Might be worth considering a gel battery rather than lead acid as you can discharge them upto 80% rather than 50% for lead acid.
OP has a Swift so I doubt if the charger will be suitable for Gel, otherwise I would agree.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
OP has a Swift so I doubt if the charger will be suitable for Gel, otherwise I would agree.
We had a Swift (Bessie) too and Our Sargent charger was turned off as we had an inverter charger.
Maybe a dedicated charger would be an option ?

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
LOL Loads of advice on here. and here's some more.
1.Get more battery power/storage. (Make sure your charger can adequately deal with the total capacity).
2. If paying someone to install S.P. for you (and this is key) make sure the installation does not interfere with your existing electrical/electronic setup).
3. Get the maximum S.P. power you can. You can never have enough and you may want to add devices later on such as an inverter etc and then realise you want more S.P.
4 Enjoy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
LOL Loads of advice on here. and here's some more.
1.Get more battery power/storage. (Make sure your charger can adequately deal with the total capacity).
2. If paying someone to install S.P. for you (and this is key) make sure the installation does not interfere with your existing electrical/electronic setup).
3. Get the maximum S.P. power you can. You can never have enough and you may want to add devices later on such as an inverter etc and then realise you want more S.P.
4 Enjoy

Information is coming thick and fast. Thanks guys and gals.

I had not thought about if the charger can cope with bigger or more batteries so I think ill def be looking at the manuals again and seeing exactly what I have and what it can handle. Its obvious I need more power though and ill probably go as good as the budget will allow.

Its likely going to be the next mod we do ready for the long Europe trip next year as I don't want to be that far away and wish I had more as we could end up on different sites to planned very easily and avoiding some due power issues would be a shame.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back