Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Extended travelling in France Spain or Portugal, how do you guys manage for Gas?

Is it Gaslow or adapters or what?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Cheapest and simplest way is buy a local bottle and regulator. LPG to fill a UK gas bottle is not on every street corner in Spain.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have two 11kg Gaslows. Also we have discovered that a French bottle will fit straight on if we needed to. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Gaslow for us, but I'd prefer a decent sized under slung tank. That way I could turn my exsisting gas locker into a welly locker and have it house an extra leisure battery as well:thumb:

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Thanks for that, the underfloor tank makes a load of sense, I've got oodles of space under the floor, then I suppose I'd have to get a filler neck plumbed out to the side of the van.

Mind you, Ken's solution has to be cheaper and less fuss.......what sort of cost are these Gaslow systems?

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Cheapest and simplest way is buy a local bottle and regulator. LPG to fill a UK gas bottle is not on every street corner in Spain.

Agree with Dave

I had an large LPG tank on the RV, relatively easy to fill up in France but not Spain... so after entering Spain I kept the tank in reserve and used a local bottle.. same when we went to Morocco ..

It's also less hassle to buy a bottle on site than to de camp and take the motorhome looking for the stuff ..

Flexibility is the key word.. have Gaslow/fixed tank by all means but keep your options open and be equipped and prepared to use local gas when needs must. By that I mean have a method or facility for plumbing in a bottle .. ie a BBQ point or other facility.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Every time we go to Spain we see more LPG, MUCH more. in Portugal it seems to be more abundant than the UK, seemed every other garage had it on the Algarve this year.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Extended travelling in France Spain or Portugal, how do you guys manage for Gas?

Is it Gaslow or adapters or what?

We have Alugas refillable...2 x 11kg.. external connection fill...the same as gaslow but half the weight when full...That is for.. France, UK, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, and Germany

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
.....what sort of cost are thes Gaslow systems?

Have a look at GAS-It. Same as Gaslow. 2 x 11KG bottles and everything you need fittings and adaptor wise for £317 (delivered free).

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Having a 5ver we use the gaslow adaptors then just buy local bottles when needed and use the relevent adaptor, we have 1 for the spanish bottle and 1 for the french 'le cube' bottle, you can get adaptors for all of the european countries.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i went with a single gaslow 11kg but i wish i had invested the money in an underslung tank as they are bigger and less hassle and not much more expensive.

although there are advantages to both ways its all down to weight.
if you are running with 2 x 6 kg calor bottles it will cost around £20 to refill each one where as an 11kg gaslow will cost around £13 to fill and will sit in your existing locker.

if you decide to go underslung then you have another big space made available so inevitably the old gas locker ends up becoming the generator storage etc. and you end up carrying more weight mainly because you have the space so you are going to use it.

personally i would go with a 80 litre underslung tank fitted with stainless steel straps as the normal steel ones rust away and the last thing you want whilst doing 60mph on a motorway is effectively a bomb falling out from under your van.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
If you have a Gaslow system you can connect a foreign bottle to it using the Gaslow Reserve Cylinder Connection Hose. Details on the following link.

Link Removed

Got mine from Dave Newell.

Brisey.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Looking at the cost of a gas system myself. Prices I have been quoyed for just 1 11kg refillable system are as follows

Gaslow - £270
Gas it - £165 - free next day delivery
autogas - £175 (steel bottle)

Looked at the aluminium bottles but cant really justify the extra £50 a bottle to save 4kg.

Or just go for the underslung option

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As with so many items, what price does one put on convenience and peace of mind?

When we got our van back in February we had a single 11 Kg Alugas bottle installed and continued to carry a 6 Kg Calor as spare. After a while we decided we would like a second Alugas bottle, probably towards the end of the year but circumstances then dictated getting a second one earlier than we had planned. Yes, it cost a bit but the freedom it gives us was - for us - well worth it.

Same can be said of the solar panel we have.

To go back to the OP though, I still reckon the best solution is to not cross the Channel in the first place :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Gaslow for us, but I'd prefer a decent sized under slung tank. That way I could turn my exsisting gas locker into a welly locker and have it house an extra leisure battery as well:thumb:
#Not really a good idea Jim the locker would have gas pipes and connections all of which could be the source of possible gas leaks, do you really want to put a spark generator in there, I wouldn't.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
#Not really a good idea Jim the locker would have gas pipes and connections all of which could be the source of possible gas leaks, do you really want to put a spark generator in there, I wouldn't.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
a good converter would move all the pipework to the underbody leaving the locker free of all gas bits and pieces.

a cowboy converter may just extend whats already there.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Jim - If that's all you want to use your locker for, it would probably be cheaper to have a Beeny box installed instead. When we were considering getting a fixed tank fitted to our new van (before I managed to 'encourage' the 11kg Gaslow bottle into the locker using a lump hammer! :thumb: ) we were quoted around £770!!!! :Eeek:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It would have needed something more substantial than a liump hammer to get the 11kg Galslow bottles in our gas locker - so do check on dimensions of them and you gas locker door, before ordering 11kg of any brand.

Locker itself plenty big. Just the daft door ......

Hence we use two 6kg Gaslow ...... we very rarely stay on a site so hence no mains this year for a month we went nearly full (had filled up towards the end of a few days in Norfolk earlier in the year) and grabbed two refills when the opportunities arose oce in the middle when we had just started bottle 2, and ditto right at the end of the month on the way back in Dunkerque ISTR - because it's cheaper in France is all and saves having to do a 15 mile trip to fill it up at home, before we go somewhere next time.

We keep having to say this on similar threads about 'measure your door' - think it ought to be a ruddy sticky by now! (been saying for over 3 years at this point LOL)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what you need is space for a 19kg uk bottle and a spanish bottle . as soon as you get to spain exchange for a full one ./ far cheaper than lpg auto gas. if going to morocco get a maroc bottle .next year just use spanish and maroc . if in portugal there are places that will fill your uk bottle . if you cant. but even there its ckheaper in the bottle than filling with auto gas . if staying in spain its easy to exchange the spanish its every where . the uk bottle used for emergencies will last all winter i,m sure . never quite seen the point of gas low or the others when abroad . can almost see the point in uk but they are expensive to obtain .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you have a Gaslow system you can connect a foreign bottle to it using the Gaslow Reserve Cylinder Connection Hose. Details on the following link.

Link Removed

Got mine from Dave Newell.

Brisey.

Great, and of course it will fit Alugas, Gasit or even a fixed tank installation (if the tank is empty) as the filling point is the same on all these systems.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back