So upset I could cry

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wizbangs, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

We have just had a visit from the community police about our MH blocking the pavement. There have been 3 complaints to the police and council. It has only been parked there 5 days, the rest we have been away. Someone has it in for us it seems.

Our old van was 3ft shorter and got no complaints. We are NOT causing an obstruction. There is plenty of room to get around it. The irony is that hubby has to go out into the road on his mobility scooter, to get round other cars parked on the pavement not 100 yards down the road. So we are very mindful of not causing an obstruction. The 2nd irony is that we live in a cul de sac, with little to no traffic and just 8 houses beyond us. There is absolutely no danger to anyone at any level. I just don't get it. I've now been threatened with a £30 ticket every day, every police shift, until I get it sorted.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Sounds to me as if some arsehole is jealous of your new motorhome

• Like Like x 12
  3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Stinks of a jealous neighbour to me... :Sad:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Deckard

Deckard Read Only Funster

Sadly you will have to move it.

But i would complain about every car not parked as it should be. Every blockage, everything. Do unto others as they do unto you ( i think thats the saying???)

• Like Like x 7
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Sorry to say, but if any part of your van is on the footpath you ARE causing an obstruction, even if there is plenty of room ...and its an offence...civil if not legal.

6. duane0001

What about my wing mirror?
    It over hangs the path a little.

7. pappajohn

then dont park your wing mirror on the pavement :thumb:

as you well know, i was referring to wheels being on the footpath :Doh::Laughing: ...but if you were to reverse the rear end overhang over the path with the wheels on the road that would also be obstruction.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  8. duane0001

Just winding you up :Rofl1:
    these scarborians, :RollEyes:

9. duane0001

Had a thought
    six foot of motorhome overhang sticking out my drive completely blocking the pavement is okay? :Eeek:

10. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

why not look for a temporary storage ?
    im sure someone on here can help.
    Then is your disability sticker valid for the motorhome
    and what can your council do to help [HI] plus scream for the local papers.[/HI]

"Disabled victim etc"

• Like Like x 1
  11. pappajohn

Eer !!!! i see from your avatar you have more than your mirror on the path....:RollEyes:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Sounds like it is time to complain about the others that block the pavement then?

I do get a bit upset when I happen across vehicles on pavements though.
    Man years ago my sister had twins and the number of times she had to leave big scratch marks down the side of vehicles parking on the pavement rather than risking traffic hitting her children was frustrating. She even got a nasty bruise on her elbow once when a wing mirror didn't move quick enough.:Doh:

Now my mother has a seriously bad hip (in hospital at the moment for 2nd of 3 ops) She refuses point blank to get a mobility scooter because she doesn't 'need' one. She does however have to cross where there are lowered kerbs. When someone parks on the path it means she has to struggle down the kerb and runs the serious risk of falling over and not being able to get back up.

Not sure about your situation with cul de sac etc. However, have you considered you may actually be causing an obstruction for someone and creating problems for them? I am not having a pop as I don't know the full details but just trying to see things from both sides of the lane so to speak...

• Like Like x 1
  13. pappajohn

refer to post #7....:Wink:

14. duane0001

Thats a layby right outside my house, it Was used when the road was a main road, now a bypass has been built its a dead end.
    The path is on the other side of the grass before the fence seen in the background

• Like Like x 1
  15. pappajohn

We only have your word on that :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Don't get upset, get even! Just ensure that they don't have anything to complain about ... park fully on the road (assuming you won't block it) then they don't have anything to try to 'do' you for which will REALLY annoy them, more so than anything 'wrong' you do, then, if as I suspect, they complain again, they'll be the ones who are at the receiving end being told off for wasting Police time. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Thanks so much for your support. You have no idea just how much it actually helps. Thanks everyone. I really mean that. Must turn from victim to master on this.

• Like Like x 4
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not having a go at anybody but obstruction is obstruction. Even parking on the road is, strictly speaking, obstructing the highway. That's apart from any covenants which might apply to private property.

The motive for somebody reporting a case of obstruction might be jealousy but that is immaterial. A report will not be taken forward by council/police unless the behaviour complained of has some element of being wrong.

Whether we like it or not, parking large vehicles at home is not a design element of most domestic properties or the roads which serve them and, certainly not, footpaths. The bottom line is that if we insist on owning/using large vehicles it is up to us to ensure that nobody else is inconvenienced. If that means that parking at home is impractical then the consequence of our choice is to use a storage facility.

In exactly the same way, the parking of "ordinary" cars wholly or partly on the pavement is also indefensible if it causes problems for others. As for parking across dropped kerbs, that is an offence in its own right.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Suprised no one has said it, but why not simply park it in the road..
    Yes, it will be a reet pain in the nether regions for some but it will be legal ( unless it is no parking on the road that is ! )

• Like Like x 2
  20. stevensson10

stevensson10

parking

its sad to say that someone is very ljealous. mine is a large van 22ft long and parked outside my house on the road ihave affront garden I was going to tarmac so I could park it there but its too long to fit in so as to stay on the road I don't have to park it on the pavement as its a wide road but I do worry as some neighbours seem to shun us since weve bought it and you never know what people will do when their jealous steve