Free Member
Apr 28, 2016
Surrey (for now) :)
Funster No
MH
not yet acquired
Exp
2 holidays in UK
We intend to full time from about November and would like to get insurance! It appears though that if you dont have an permanent address or a rental agreement for longer than 9 months then its not possible! - Comfort Insurance

Any heads up/advice or comments welcome please

ThanX

Chris

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Comfort are ok on "Normal" insurance as long as you use a registered address of a friend or family member and have your driving licence/electoral roll/doctors listed at that address and you visit there once in a while.

If you don't have an address that you can use (with a clear concience) then Comfort will insure you as a full timer but it costs about x3 times as much. As far as I know Comfort are the only company that will insure you as a full timer ...... unless anyone else knows differently?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have been insured for full timing with Comfort for the past 6 years. We now have gone into Bricks and mortar and the insurance premium dropped from £1,400 to £350, but we had to store the MH in an approved storage site which cost us £500 for the van and trailer.

No problems with cover or breakdowns (we had a few in UK and abroad) and unlimited mileage. I was 65 when I was first insured with them, now 73. No trip limits and cover in any one country for 180 days in a year to comply with residency restrictions. You must not leave the vehicle un-occupied for more than 36 hours without the written agreement of the underwriters.
I asked about limiting the mileage while full timing and they said they could do it, but the premium would be the same.
A genuine full timer/long termer does not have to have a UK residence, only a UK contact address where the vehicle and drivers licence is recorded by DVLA. They only require the electoral roll for the normal policy and there is no requirement for any other info. We used our daughters address. You risk not being insured if you fail to declare any relevant information when entering the contract or at any time during its duration. The normal policy has trip limits, the full timing one doesn't. I have heard however that they have refused some new business because of the age of the vehicle to be insured.

I think you may have got the wrong info about Full timing with Comfort.

This is from Comforts Horizon Policy Booklet

Long term Touring and Full Timing

Use of your motor caravan for nine months or more (whether as a single trip or a series of trips) in any one
year will be treated (and rated) as long-term touring. If, in addition, you sell or let your UK property you will
be treated (and rated) as full-timing. Please refer to the policy conditions on Page 29 for more details.

Long Term Touring & Full Timing

14. This policy is subject to the following conditions:

Policyholders must maintain a full UK residence, either through ownership or long term rental
agreement (of at least 9 months) unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid.
The address shown on the policy schedule must be the one at which the policyholder is on the electoral
roll, (unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid) and also the one that appears on the driving
licence and vehicle documentation.

Your motor caravan must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of
the vehicle) and current UK Road Fund Licence.

Should a copy of a utility bill (as evidence of residence at the address) be requested at any time
(inception, mid-term, renewal, in the event of a claim) then one must be provided.
Not required if full timing premium is agreed and paid
We had to provide this however before they would change our policy back to the normal one. We didn't have a utility bill but the rental contract and a letter from the gas electric supplier addressed to us was taken as proof.

I averaged over 10 years about 10.000 Km per year. UK in summer and down to southern Spain in the winter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back