So I started the engine with the EHU plugged in... (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Turns out that wasn't such a good idea :(

For some reason, probably haste, I started the engine while the EHU was plugged in and the control panel switch set to cab battery (as I was topping up the cab battery as it's been laid up for a few weeks).

Didn't realise at the time but I've blown the little glass fuse in the charger(?) as I now have no 12v power when switched to 'cab' but normal 12v when switched to 'hab' battery (I have 12v ok when on EHU still).

Looking for these funny little glass fuses (250v 15A 5mm X 20mm), I have found somewhere that sells them (eBay) but I don't know if I should be buying slow blow fuses or fast blow fuses?

I assume fast, as you'd want it to pop quickly, before something more serious got damaged?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
take it to Maplins. Sorted me with a fuse for my heater this weekend.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I'm 99.9% certain it will be a regular fuse. Slow blow are rare and rarely used.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Seems a fast-blow fuse is winning then!

@Lenny HB thanks for the 'T' heads up, good to know.

In terms of it damaging something, it even states in the manual that I shouldn't have done it:

Broken Link Removed

I guess it's down to the age of the vehicle / circuits? Technology has (thankfully) moved on since my motorhome was made :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not surprised it blew....

You had your charger connected to the engine battery.....the starter began turning trying to draw 200a to 400a.
The battery can supply that but the starter will get its power from wherever it can and the charger is in effect an electronic battery.
In the same way if you have two engine batteries the starter draws from both, not just one.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That's saying that if you have the mains charger switched to charge the cab battery the fuse will blow if mains is connected. Sounds reasonable.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not surprised it blew....

You had your charger connected to the engine battery.....the starter began turning trying to draw 200a to 400a.
The battery can supply that but the starter will get its power from wherever it can and the charger is in effect an electronic battery.
In the same way if you have two engine batteries the starter draws from both, not just one.

I can't see it being that. The charger sets the output voltage to get the desired current. So if a larger current was requested the charger would lower the voltage to one far enough below the battery voltage to not have an over current situation.

My guess would be that is was caused by a spike when the alternator turned. Any inductive load when switched off will spike a high voltage in the reverse direction to the original voltage polarity. This is usually prevented by installing a flyback or snubber diode. My guess is that there is no snubber diode. The charger probably has a relay that connects the charger to the cab battery when 240v is supplied. So when you pull the power lead out of the EHU socket this relay disengages and disconnects the charger from the cab battery to prevent this spike. Hopefully the fuse has protected the output mosfet on the charger. My guess would be a high speed fuse was used.

I only know this because of the Arduino fridge project. I have had to design in a snubber diode to prevent the flyback spike from the computer fans damaging the PWM mosfet..

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thinking about it a bit more, The fuse could also be part of a reverse polarity protection circuit and the charger may have a diode to cause the fuse to blow when reverse polarity is applied. This may be triggered by the induced (reversed) voltage from the alternator. This is the reason your ciggy lighter sockets go dead when you are starting the van I would guess to protect sensitive devices from this spike.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm sorry for your trouble but grateful for this thread, I admit to regularly starting the engine whilst the mains is till attached, please tell me if I'm likely to harm something in some way... Griff

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Of course, you have to also consider the effect of AC being connected to the DC starter motor on startup.
When you turn the key, the engine will be turned in both directions at 50 times a second.
If the engine happens to be turning backwards when it fires, you could end up with on one foward gear and six reverse ones.
This typically happens in French and Italian motorhomes. As well as their military vehicles.
World War 2 would have had a different outcome if they had understood reverse polarity and had the appropriate EHU leads!

Please take the above advice with a pinch of salt!:)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I can't see it being that. The charger sets the output voltage to get the desired current. So if a larger current was requested the charger would lower the voltage to one far enough below the battery voltage to not have an over current situation.

My guess would be that is was caused by a spike when the alternator turned. Any inductive load when switched off will spike a high voltage in the reverse direction to the original voltage polarity. This is usually prevented by installing a flyback or snubber diode. My guess is that there is no snubber diode. The charger probably has a relay that connects the charger to the cab battery when 240v is supplied. So when you pull the power lead out of the EHU socket this relay disengages and disconnects the charger from the cab battery to prevent this spike. Hopefully the fuse has protected the output mosfet on the charger. My guess would be a high speed fuse was used.

I only know this because of the Arduino fridge project. I have had to design in a snubber diode to prevent the flyback spike from the computer fans damaging the PWM mosfet..
That assumes the charger has over-current protection. Not all have in my experience - unless you count the fuse :).

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Having read the context from all the expert posts above and taken a second look at the pic of your
manual that you posted I am now convinced you shouldn't a done it
Dont do it agin
Geo

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Quite impressed with manual and that you had read it. Amazing what info can be found in them squirreled away. (y)

What van is it and how old is it?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@Popeye

:)
I'm sorry for your trouble but grateful for this thread, I admit to regularly starting the engine whilst the mains is till attached, please tell me if I'm likely to harm something in some way... Griff

Depends if you're cooking Spinach at the same time.
:):whistle:

John.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Of course, you have to also consider the effect of AC being connected to the DC starter motor on startup.
When you turn the key, the engine will be turned in both directions at 50 times a second.

:D AC won't get through to the engine even with the charger on and EHU connected. The charger rectifies the AC to DC and smooths the and regulates the output...
Funny thought though :D

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
If the charger has current limiting, it should tolerate the engine starter load being put across it, but many don't and there's your fuse gone.

Our rail chargers have to charge down to almost a short circuit, train lights left on in the sidings, battery flat....

Peter

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Have you got the fuse replaced yet? Is everything ok now?

No, not yet, I ordered a pack of 10x fuses on eBay for the princely sum of £2.95 (delivered (y) ), but as it often the case I'm still waiting for the postie to deliver them :rolleyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No, not yet, I ordered a pack of 10x fuses on eBay for the princely sum of £2.95 (delivered (y) ), but as it often the case I'm still waiting for the postie to deliver them :rolleyes:
ok. Keep us posted please :)

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
This is like reading a foreign language ! Cue tumbleweed blowing past my brain.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Quite impressed with manual and that you had read it. Amazing what info can be found in them squirreled away. (y)

What van is it and how old is it?

What???:Eeek: We are supposed to read instructions??:doh:

Good grief , no ones told me that:swear2: Who can I sue?:wub:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm pleased to say, postie delivered the fuses this morning, five minutes later and I had everything tested and all working again (y):D
Fantastic. Fuse did it's job and protected valuable equipment from user :p;):D

Big relief. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back