So, how does this thing work then?? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
In the accessories section of the latest MMM magazine, there a bike security gizmo (please see photo).

In the blurb, it states, ".......it can be wrapped around the bike onto the rack and pincer-wielding thieves will have a hard time getting it off. It's lightweight and doesn't need a padlock or key. It simply snaps shut......."

So, how the hell do you get it off then? Or indeed, lock it?(n)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 195

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Description is misleading - it doesn't need a key to lock it, just to unlock it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That picture looks familiar. Is this the crowd funded lock a few FUNsters bought a while ago ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got a couple. They're as good as the marketing claims they are.

The product was originally a crowdfunded start up and they struggled slightly to meet their initial delivery promises. There was a thread about it that went pretty much how you might expect :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Looking at the website it appears to be some kind of magnetic/coded key which is held next to the lock rather than inserted.

Interesting that they are avoiding showing the locking/unlocking and seem to avoid all reference to it. Do they think that a professional bike thief wouldn't just buy one and work it out!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Looking at the website it appears to be some kind of magnetic/coded key which is held next to the lock rather than inserted.

Interesting that they are avoiding showing the locking/unlocking and seem to avoid all reference to it. Do they think that a professional bike thief wouldn't just buy one and work it out!

Good guess but not right (y):D2

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
In the accessories section of the latest MMM magazine, there a bike security gizmo (please see photo).

In the blurb, it states, ".......it can be wrapped around the bike onto the rack and pincer-wielding thieves will have a hard time getting it off. It's lightweight and doesn't need a padlock or key. It simply snaps shut......."

So, how the hell do you get it off then? Or indeed, lock it?(n)

I think my Mrs. has got one of these on her pants?:imoutahere:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
lOOKS A BIT PRICEY FOR ME £85!!!!!!!!!!!

That was one of the things covered quite a lot in the other thread. If that's more than your bike cost then yes, it is a pricey lock.

If you have a bike that cost hundreds, or even thousands of pounds it's not that expensive really.

It's also priced pretty competitively against its competitors i.e. other bike locks with the Sold Secure Gold rating.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yes Yes, but how does it WORK??????

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
One of the biggest problems is you don't need a key to lock it. I know it sounds daft but you still need to check you have the key BEFORE you lock it otherwise you could be in for a long walk to find them. Flixi part looks like it's made prom braided metal which is probably why you cannot cut through it. Think I will stick with my D Shackle.

The key you need to undo it is the same as the D Shackle Lock I have. All they have done is made it so you don't need the key to lock it. Very expensive for what it is.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Think I will stick with my D Shackle.

The biggest advantage a Litelok has over a decent D Shackle ** is that it's about half the weight or even less depending on which shackle. I know if you're using it with a mountain bike you won't care but for anyone riding a road bike saving a kilo on something like that is a big deal.

** By "decent" I mean Sold Secure Gold rated. Anything that doesn't have that rating basically isn't worth using.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do they think that a professional bike thief wouldn't just buy one and work it out!

So often some deep thinker will come up with a scheme so devilishly complex no-one could defeat it. The Maginot Line a prime example. The German tanks could not break through it, instead they just drove round it leaving a very annoyed Frenchman.

I have to say that lock looks way too short, you need to wrap it round a lamp post at least.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have to say that lock looks way too short, you need to wrap it round a lamp post at least.
Yes, that has been discussed in previous threads about it ... the answer? Buy 2 and link them together ... double the cost! :xblink:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
lOOKS A BIT PRICEY FOR ME £85!!!!!!!!!!!
General opinion is you should spend 10% of value of the bike on security , so if you have decent bikes if it does what it says on the tin it's very cheap, I'm looking at getting at least 2 of them.

You can link together as many as you like and get them keyed the same.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Interesting review, with a "grinder test".
I wouldn't waste money on that lock

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is the lock that got broken ... There is a serious design fault ... no clamp will hold cables unless those cables are looped, no matter how good the clamp is ... the thief simply put in a bar of some type and twisted it until the weakest part gave way ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back