So far, more worry than fun

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by peddlingfree, Sep 28, 2016.

1. peddlingfree

peddlingfree Funster

Hello

Since my husband died two years ago this month, I have endeavoured to make use of our newly acquired motorhome as he and I had enjoyed the few trips we had taken despite having had to take it to a garage with a handbrake problem on our first trip to Scotland. We had flat battery after flat battery. After his death, the garage sold me a new battery but straight away nothing worked. After weeks of puzzling and worrying over amps and voltage I discovered that a fuse next to the leisure battery under the floor had blown. This fuse has no trip switch indicator. I then had coachbuilders replace a section of flooring which was no longer capable of supporting the electric steps as it was rotting from water thrown up by a wheel. To reduce the risk of further flat batteries I had an isolator fitted to the vehicle and leisure batteries.
    I am hoping that this year I could make a decision about whether to keep the motorhome or not - an anonymous person has dropped 2 notes through my letter box with a mobile number and no name asking if its for sale. I have been away in it twice this year and it came in useful for helping a relative who had a complicated house move.

My latest problem is that I cannot safely lift my bicycle up onto the bike rack. I enjoy cycling off road so this is a big disappointment. Also it would be handy to have to get to a shop or to go exploring a bit.

I am wondering if the bike rack which is a Fiamma could be converted to the type that has a lift. I imagine removing the existing one would leave places for water to access and cause damage, but I don't know enough about it. I shall have to ask the garage, but after the battery problems which ultimately they didn't sort, I'm reluctant to start with them. Is there anyone here who knows?

Maybe I should give the motorhome up. Last year I was determined not to be beaten by all the problems it presented but the truth is I don't enjoy driving as I find more than 2 hours tiring. I frequently get lost. My husband and I had done a lot of camping in tents over the years, but he was the one who organised it all. I could go Bed & Breakfasting instead, but its not very appealing and I have been seriously mulling over getting a dog - which would work in a motorhome but probably cause difficulties finding other accommodation.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Hello and welcome.,:WelcomeFlag:there are a lovely bunch of lady Funsters who may be able to chat to you and help with your decision
    @movan will chat to you I'm sure and try to help.

3. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

Hi,

I am so sorry that you've had these problems but please don't let them put you off motorhoming. As you say if you get a dog then think of all the adventures you will have.

Lifting bikes onto racks can be difficult. I can't help with converting your existing rack into a lift type one but I'm sure someone will. Another alternative might be to consider a fold up bike depending on the size of your lockers.

Regarding you tiring after 2 hours driving you don't need to go far. We often have great weekends away only 30mins from our home. It is amazing how fabulous it is to just get away and chill.

I hope you find solutions to your problems.

Loren

• Like Like x 3
  4. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

image.gif
    Assuming that your only problem with MH is bike rack then that is easily solved by having a tow bar fitted with a rack that attaches to that. You can get them with pull out ramp for the bike so no lifting at all and then you could get an electric bike !!:)
    If I were to be on my own I would make use of the rallies organised by funsters and the other clubs, someone else will do the organising and you can plan the route before hand.
    Yes do get a doggie and carry on motorhoming(y)

• Like Like x 4
  5. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hello ... we also have a bunch of ladies who meet up and help each other. If you are interested, we private message each other for support. It IS difficult on your own as you are finding .. one person to load the van, fill the water tank, sort the gaz bottles and the drinking water, learn about hook ups and solar panels and different batteries and fuses ... and I panic often. There is always someone on this forum to offer help no matter how basic the question.

You learn to improvise .. fill a watering can everytime you pass a tap on a site to top up your tank .. can you use a drain pipe to wheel your bike onto the rack? Not always possible. .

Welcome ... we are all here to help you in the transition to solo traveller. Hug.

• Like Like x 14
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

:hiya2: & :welcome3: . . . as far as non Motorhome dog friendly accommodation is concerned, have no worries because there's a wide range of doggy friendly accommodation in the U.K. ranging from humble guest houses to Hilton hotels :)

7. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

got talking to a fellow motorhomer whilst i was at Oban ,she was in a similar circumstance and i reccomended that she join the forum as there are some single travellers on here who would give her a lot of support:)

• Like Like x 2
  8. wigster

wigster Funster

:welcome4:

9. peddlingfree

peddlingfree Funster

Oh thank you. Feeling encouraged already. Love the drainpipe idea, I did try with various items but hadn't thought of that but I think the rack is too high and the bike too heavy and although I managed to get it on it was far too much of a struggle. Love the watering can idea, that could be useful. I wonder if there is a 'food grade' one to top up on drinking water. I shall definitely look into the towbar fitted with a rack for a bike - it might provide the solution.

• Like Like x 4
  10. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Hi & welcome.

11. taffybloke

taffybloke Funster

:hiya2: Welcome to the forum.

All you have to do is ask and someone will answer.

Mike

12. scousebird

scousebird Funster

:pink:

13. movan

movan Funster Life Member

See private conversation in 'inbox' top right hand corner. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

Get a sat-nav, it might not take you the right way sometimes but it will always get you there....
    The dog sounds great....

There will be others along with lots more info (y)

:pink:

15. maison

maison Funster

Don't worry about a food quality watering can.

Between camping site tap and motorhome filler is too short a time for any problems.

We have used that system, when necessary, for over 30 years and we are still here! (I think).:)(n)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Hello & welcome to the Funsters nuthouse.
    I'm certain the loss of your husband has hit you hard & undoubtedly you're still grieving.

Motorhoming is a 'lifestyle' choice, its not an option for cheap holidaying. It comes with its own hassles, aggrivations & expense.

Moving forward - it is solely your decision as to whether you want to explore this 'lifestyle' or perhaps sell up & do B&B's or cruising or any other occupation.
    There's no shame in saying "actually its not for me".

But
    If you choose to stick with it then you'll learn that its the journey not the destination - getting lost is part of the fun - and a satnav will get you to where you want to be (eventually).
    Driving 2h is the max recommended without a break so that's no bad at thing - pull into a layby, have a cuppa, even a nap & off you go again. I can't find the perfect driving position in my van & my ankle aches after an hour or so... but I had cruise fitted and now driving is so chilled.
    Bike rack, as others have said, there are solutions - but it means expense... so I go back to the beginning - do you want to Motorhome?

If the answer is yes - then you'll find so much support & even physical help here.

PS, hopefully I'm just about to adopt a rescue dog, and as a solo - I'm really looking forward to the companionship & all that goes with having to think about someone else, not just me me me.

• Like Like x 8
  17. Bart

Bart Funster

+1 as i doubt for all the time the water is in the water can that it will make any difference

Plus for us the only time we drink water from the MH is when its boiled for coffee , as the rest of time its bottled water from a 5ltr container
    Plus as other have said @peddlingfree there is quite a few single travelers on here who will be more than happy to help you as they will have all been there at the start of their journey.
    GL and hope you don't give up , and give it your best shot :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Indy259

Indy259 Funster

Hi and :pink:. As Movan said there is a lot to think about, but we all help each other. I frequently get lost, the Sat nav says do a u turn, I say I cannot, or words to that effect, and I sort it out, don't give up unless you really want to

• Like Like x 4
  19. WillH

WillH Funster

I got our watering can in a pound shop, does the job, but only that job. Stick it out and have fun. Welcome to the wonderful world of........where was I?

• Like Like x 1
  20. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

:welcomesign:to the forum and you are already getting helpful suggestions from the members here, you are definitely on the right forum for advice and the single ladies on here will certainly help you along.
    It is not quite the same to be out in the van after the death of a partner but it becomes easier the more you do it, I can manage some of the DIY problems associated with the van but thank god for takeaway meals :pray2:
    Establishing contact with the girls on the forum here will perhaps give you the little push you need so that come next Spring you may be itching to get out there.
    Have fun.
    Norman.

• Like Like x 4