Snowdon Mountain Train

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by tincan, Sep 10, 2009.

1. tincan

tincan Read Only Funster

Right then, it's settled. we are off to Barmouth for the weekend and one of the attractions promoted is the mountain train up Snowdon. With good weather promised we were hoping to have a peep from the top and are wondering if it is really worth the trip. With only a short weekend available I would hate to waste 3ish hours.

thanks

Noel

2. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Yes indeed esp now the new visitors centre is open.

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

What a shame, a cafe and a train to get there. The top of the countries highest and most splendid mountain; blighted. :Angry:

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Are you Prince Charles?

5. MotorhomeWales

MotorhomeWales Read Only Funster

Why not spend the day and walk up from Llanberris or even better the Miners track, stunning views on the way up! Its not too hard a walk either.:RollEyes:

Dan

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

come on you can do it.

A few years a go I walked it with George and Harley and most of it with Harley on my back. he was 3&1/2 and George 4.

Well worth the visit.

Incedently if you want the train, they used to do a test one first thing in the am at half price.

7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Walk the Miners Path its beautiful, my favourite, do it at least once a year. Jan prefers the train though:Blush:

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Depends, are you Camilla?:BigGrin:

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Neigh:Rofl1:

10. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

It's definitely worth the effort to walk (or take the train if you are that way inclined), but make certain that you get a weather forecast from the visitor centre at Llanberis before starting the climb. The weather can easily change during the period you are walking, and it would be a bummer to arrive at the top to find it cloudy.

The view from the top is exceptional, and the new restaurant is far better than the old 'shack' that used to be such an eyesore.

Don't rule out the train though, it's wort the trip for the views, and for riding a piece of locomotive history.

Have a good time.

11. tincan

tincan Read Only Funster

Thanks for all the advice. Maybe next time we will consider hiking up the mountain but for now the train will do very nicely, thank you very much. This time last year we could not even have considered such a hike but thanks to the wonders of modern medicine my OH can now look forward to such a venture. She had a very successful pulmonary vein isolation op in March to correct a dodgy rhythm in her ticker and it has meant that she has regained at least a day a week in her life, but is still not up to that sort of exertion. She will use her pedelec bike when we travel some of the cycle trails in the area and will try to use the elec bit as little as possible to help increase her stamina.
    Noel

12. TDH

TDH Funster

I think it's expensive at £25 a head (but that's probably because I'm a pauper - and a climber!).

Just an idea, if you're going to Barmouth why not have a stroll up Cadair Idris. Park at Tal-y-Llyn and even if you just walk up the track to Lyn-y-cau it's just gorgeous.

And when we were in that neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago (Barmouth that is) we went for a wander up Roman Steps in the Rhinogs - specatcular, and you can see the sea.

PM me and I'll give you details, and of a great little site.

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we went up a few years ago and the views are stunning but the fly in the ointment is the cost.

we paid £24 each return :Eeek: its now £25 return. thats £6.25 per mile.

be aware it can be VERY cold and VERY windy up there if the winds blowing and theres very little shelter apart from the extremely expensive cafe/visitor center.

it was warm and bright sun in the carpark/station but maybe only 10deg at the top.

its a five minute climb on foot to the very summit (trig point)and the 'paths' are rough to say the least.

try to get seats on the steam engine, as opposed to the diesel, as the 'kick' every piston stroke is amazing......like being shoved in the back every three seconds.

if its a clear day.....go for it.

if its not, then save it for another day.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

15. pappajohn

couldnt agree more Jim, especially when your crammed into the sardine tins with about 99 others on each trip.

3 return trips per day for BOTH trains..100 passengers on each train.....

£4,920 per day :Eeek::Eeek:

EDIT.....my mistake:Blush:, each carraige takes 54 passengers, but it feels like 100, but its still nearly £3000 per day

16. scotjimland

either way, it must be the most expensive rail journey in the World.. makes a day out at Disney look like a bargain .. and I thought that was a rip off .. :RollEyes:

but who can we blame ? .. only the punters that keep paying it .. :RollEyes:

17. pappajohn

Yep!! the punters that pay it, and reading further there is a train every half hour at peak times in good weather......

cant be bothered to work out the daily takings on that lot but its obscene and i bet its more than i earn in a year..:Angry:

18. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi Jim like I said in an earlier post, the early bird will save you some dosh but if anyone does it make sure you get there early,
    Anyhow Jim being Scottish you will walk anyway, the opportunity to save money will be too much of a Draw.:Rofl1:

19. scotjimland

a cheap shot .. :RollEyes:

I know rip off when I see it, and your right, I wouldn't pay it .. It's NOT GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY.. I bet the staff wear masks..

20. pappajohn

Nah !!!!

just big beards to hide their faces...

[​IMG]

or a lot of coal dust.....

[​IMG]