Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
In my experience when the weather gets really bad on the motorway they turn on the "gritting in progress" signs. If it gets even worse they send the actual gritters out and if it gets worse still they occasionally turn the grit spreader on. But, it has to be really bad for them to go that far.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
The worst thing with snow in this country is whose who don't know how to drive in it, find find that if you drive at a steady rate, not to fast but not to slow, then you should be alright, it's those who panic and drive too slow who cause most problems IMHO.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Clearing Snow ?..... S'now fun !! If you have a 4x4 north of Sheffield....Get out there and earn some MONEY LOL
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
SNOW ON THE MOTORWAY..... HOLY COW, BETTER CLOSE THE COUNTRY DOWN FOR A FEW WEEKS. IT WILL ALL BE OK AS LONG AS IT DON'T HIT LONDON... IF IT DOES THEN THE WORLD WILL END

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
SNOW ON THE MOTORWAY..... HOLY COW, BETTER CLOSE THE COUNTRY DOWN FOR A FEW WEEKS. IT WILL ALL BE OK AS LONG AS IT DON'T HIT LONDON... IF IT DOES THEN THE WORLD WILL END
And don't forget the Airports I mean to say they were only given two days notice so how can they prepare in that time but what the heck lets just close them down. :whistle:

Reactions: GJH

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
Having had experience of snow in France in February 2013, I'll not complain about the response by the authorities to snow in the UK. The gendermes made me park up in a supermarket car park with some lorry drivers. We were then left to our own devices for two days. The shops closed. Luckily a chinese restaurant opened up, so we spent hours on end in there. Otherwise, we'd have run out of food. I made hot drinks in the van for other drivers in the mornings, and at least I was able to stay warm. Surprisingly, many of the lorry cabs didn't have space heaters, so engines were left running through the night. Not a pleasant experience. We had to be dug out after two days, as the snow had compacted with lorries trying to move, and then frozen solid.
The only roads that had been treated were the toll roads, and they had huge tailbacks on them. Took ages to get to Dunkirk.

Once back in the UK, drove to Hull without seeing any holdups. Plenty of snow piled on the verges though. All roads here had been cleared.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Motomike.
Some run engines,firstly to keep warm and secondly, most diesel filters nowadays are behind the engine,so the warmth prevents the diesel filter "Waxing" up. This still can happen,even with todays addatives. You really cannot beat a 6 or V8 cylinder motor for your heater to keep you warm. (Unless it was a "Gardner 180" LOL).
Tea Bag

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On Boxing Day morning when we set off, the main street of our modest-sized village was already gritted without so much as an overnight frost.

By 7pm a hundred miles away when the much-predicted snow arrived, there was no sign of anyone having treated the M1 motorway between Leics and Notts, or the A50 in Derbyshire/Staffordshire. As soon as we got to the A50 roundabout east of Stoke, all change - cleared roads. M6 from Stoke North up to our exit all cleared too. There's some serious inconsistency in road treatment priorities.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
On Boxing Day evening the Derbyshire Highways Department waited for about 4 inches of snow to fall on the major road outside our house, traffic to grind to a halt, people to walk home on foot from their abandoned cars, broken down lorries to be removed by the rescue services and then at one o'clock in the morning sent out the gritters to smother the abandoned cars in salt and grit.

Pillocks!

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Why don't they have a couple of small planes taxying up and down the runways? the jets would soon melt the snow and warm the runway to melt the snow as it falls, Simples!!!!!
Cheers, Dave:xrofl::xrofl:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Still not as much as a flake here !