Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
I drive a Fiat Ducato McLouis Glen motorhome and I am finding the front wheel drive traction very, very light.
I have already been caught out a few times on mud and wet grass etc.
I am planning a trip to Denmark for xmas and I was thinking about snow-chains and then I came across snow socks at Halfords.
Does anyone have any experience of how good (or not) they are?

Grateful for any comments.
Thanks, Kelso

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The problem with socks is they wont last 100mtrs on snowless roads.

You may spend time taking them off only to put them back on 1/4 mile further on.

Chains shouldnt be used on clear roads but will stand a bit of abuse

OP
OP
Kelso

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Thanks for the info. I have hedged my bets and bought both.. Just hope I don't have to use them. lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the info. I have hedged my bets and bought both.. Just hope I don't have to use them. lol
Bought chains for my car 2 years ago.......one was test fitted, the other has never been out the case.

Might get used this year but i wont hold my breath as we're having another mild winter.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Bought chains for my car 2 years ago.......one was test fitted, the other has never been out the case.

Might get used this year but i wont hold my breath as we're having another mild winter.

Yep!
Its that time of year when snow chain hysteria grips the forums!!!!!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You don't have too much weight on the rear axle do you? If it's that light at the front all the time a trip to the weigh bridge may be in order.
It shouldn't feel "light" on the front. As well as your loading, check tyre pressures - and there's a minefield! Search Tyre Pressures for extensive posts on this subject.
But there's only one way to get an accurate figure and that's to weigh the van, front & rear axles separately, then contact the tyre manufacturer. You may well be surprised....

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Snowsox are OK for very short trips or when there is constant snow on the road, but a short trip on the road or if they start spinning, watch your investment shred to rags in a very short time - believe me - I know!!!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I would only consider socks if they used them on Ice Road Truckers!

Heavier vehicles need chains!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Chains are a legal requirement some places....socks? I doubt they make the grade....

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Snow and mud tyres / winter tyres would help give better traction in a wider range of conditions than socks or chains.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
firstly you really should fit M+S tyres. i used to use these on my taxi and never got stuck! even used to fly past 4x4's on some of the steep hills.
if conditions are that poor that winter tyres aren't working, then possibly you should be off the road! however a set of chains to get you somewhere safely are the only other option.

OP
OP
Kelso

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
OK thanks all - I will look into m/s tyres, that sounds like a good idea for all year round.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
OK thanks all - I will look into m/s tyres, that sounds like a good idea for all year round.

If you can afford and have space to get summer tyres as well, you'll get the best traction and wear throughout the year. I believe that the downside of m/s tyres is that they wear faster during the warmer months than summer tyres. We don't have space for two sets so only have m/s.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Snow and mud tyres / winter tyres would help give better traction in a wider range of conditions than socks or chains.
But not on ice or heavily compacted and polished snow which is when extra grip is most needed.....studs (illegal) or chains will get you out.

Snow tyres have a blockier tread and softer rubber but dont have magical gripping power on ice.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
f
if conditions are that poor that winter tyres aren't working, then possibly you should be off the road! however a set of chains to get you somewhere safely are the only other option.

Totally agree. Luckily I don't have to travel to work so if it looks like it is a pig to drive in or on then I don't.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
But not on ice or heavily compacted and polished snow which is when extra grip is most needed.....studs (illegal) or chains will get you out.

Snow tyres have a blockier tread and softer rubber but dont have magical gripping power on ice.

Yep. Not magic but better than socks or chains for a wider range of conditions. If I was the op, I would return the socks and get m/s tyres with chains as a backup.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975

a decent winter tyre will stop/grip far better on ice/compacted snow than an ordinary tyre........fact. from experience i stopped my old taxi on a steep incline because cars were spinning off left right and centre. i put the handbrake on and started to get out and noticed she was on the move down the hill, so jumped back in and put the old girl in gear and she stopped (winter tyres were front only). ime winter tyres find grip when most tyres have given up the ghost, but the most useful asset is the ability to drive properly in the first place!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just to re-iterate the point about tyre pressures, if they're too high (which would give the "light" feeling) NO tyre is going to grip properly. You just don't have the footprint in contact with the road.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Thank you Michael Fish :rofl::wink:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I support the argument for m+s tyres.

We have Yokohama all season tyres on our Transit base and never need the chains on, even on quite steep gradients.

That also includes compacted, smooth snow and ice. The rear wheel drive and reasonably narrow (185) tyres help in these conditions too!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back