Snow chains - advice pls (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I would not advise anyone not to use snowchains but just think about the routes that they intend to take, keep to the major roads and they are kept clear as well as, if not better, than high level routes in the UK. I have never seen signs for compulsory snow chains on the coastal routes around the Pyrenees, which I have used several times in the winter.

Personally I would not use any of the high level passes if bad weather is forecast with or without snow chains unless my destination was up there, why take the risk to save a few euros in tolls

As others have said the coastal routes around the Pyrenees are good roads and mostly kept clear.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
used to get on the instructors wick when I told them what they should do is take the trainees outside in their shirtsleeves to a coach parked on the wash, blindfold them and turn the wash on. Now fit the chains 'cos that's the more likely scenario!

In a vaguely similar vein, I do something like that at Scouts. When we are due to go away to camp, we have a practice putting the tent up evening. First they put the tents up inside the warm, well lit hut. Then I take them around the back of the hut where it is pitch dark and if I am lucky and have timed it right, there may also be a bit of wind and rain. Right says I, you lot pop up the tents, whilst I go and put the kettle on inside. MisserableSuperMike. :rofl:

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Personally I would not use any of the high level passes if bad weather is forecast with or without snow chains unless my destination was up there, why take the risk to save a few euros in tolls

perhaps I will use my snow chain budget on tolls.

Thanks to all for your comments

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
LL
You can avoid the toll road and still go along the coast road
Buys the chains and then stop worrying

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
LL, I don't carry snow chains, have no intention of going anywhere near the stuff if I can help it. Use the coastal routes to get round the Pyrenees (Bayonne). My winter tyres are not meant for proper snow.

As it happens, I'm posting parked up at Oloron St Marie and although it's cold, it's dry and the sun is shining strongly out of a clear blue sky with a similar forecast for the next few days. Somport Tunnel tomorrow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back