Snooper s5000 ventura pro satnav (1 Viewer)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Hi anyone out there got the Snooper S5000 Ventura Pro satnav and if so would you recommend it or would you recommend any other make that has the same features.
Thank's Dave. :Smile:

dbailey2

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS ADVANTAGE T6511
Exp
Since 2012
Snooper satnav

Hi Dave

I purchased the Snooper DB8500 Ventura PRO Satnav last year and I have been very impressed with its quality and performance. I went for the DB8500 mainly for the larger 7 inch display, the DAB digital radio is excellent and there is a built in transmitter which allows you to tune it into an unused frequency on your vehicle radio so that the navigation directions play through your vehicle built in speakers. There is also a built in DVB-T Freeview digital TV but I have never used that feature. Excellent European mapping with life time updates and many many more features.
The Snooper products are quite pricey but I believe you get what you pay for.

Good luck,

Doug.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Chinese truck sat nav seems a good, and much cheaper substitute. It doesn't have radio or TV but will transmit on FM to speak through your sound system. See the lengthy threads on here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a one year old Snooper Ventura s7000 with all the campsites etc on but find the user interface to say the least clumsy.
In Spain at present and attempted to input coordinates for LPG stations , would not accept the information, it is rigid in the format it requires.
So back to my faithful Garmin Nuvi 865 , no problem, three different methods of inputting coordinates and no need to put in degs , minutes etc.
If the s5000 has the same software as the S7000 I would not recommend it :Eeek:

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Music file

Sorry to hijack your question, but I have a DB 8500. Can anyone tell me how to save my music files to the unit?

Thanks
Mike.

OP
OP
daveandsan
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Chinese truck sat nav seems a good, and much cheaper substitute. It doesn't have radio or TV but will transmit on FM to speak through your sound system. See the lengthy threads on here.
I have read some of threads on here regarding tee Chinese truck sat nav, but reading some of them it looks like i will need a degree in computer science. I like something i can just plug in and it goes. :Doh:

Oct 8, 2013
Jersey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Snooper

I have a s7000 bought two years ago and I have to pay for an update, ok but the poi's are not updated so the campsites are now out of date and acsi sites are a fraction of what's out there.
I have returned to my garmin Nuvi together with Archie's downloads. In morocco I used a tomtom app on my iPad and iPhone for £31.

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
France, Midi pyrenees
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Snooper

We had a Snooper S7000, (large screen ) sold it on ebay recently, Did not like it, when i set it for no toll motorways it kept going back to default setting of toll roads, each time it turned off, which meant when restarting, it had to be reprogrammed for no tolls.

Also we found if you did not turn off as instructed it played annoying musical chimes to inform you, i failed to find how to stop them.

Purchased a tomtom motorhome, caravan, much better, also a friend ( a tugger( Caravan) had one with smaller screen he could not get on with it, he has just brought a tomtom

The large screen was great, maps good, but over all We were very disappointed with it considering the dearer price, my suggestion --- get something else, another make.

colyoung

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
7 Years
I have never got to grips with Snooper sat navs and always end up selling them for less than half the price i paid.I have done it twice but have now learned my lesson.Always ended up going back to Tom Tom or Garmin although at presend using sygic truck on my galaxy smart phone.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi,
Just to say we bought this last year

Broken Link Removed

I think it is great so far: I like the fact that we can add our motorhome dimensions & it warns us of speed-limits, cameras & even sharp bends.

We have used a TomTom app for my iPhone, a stand-alone Garmin & a stand-alone TomTom.

This beats them hands down & it has not yet been soundly cursed as the TomTom was every trip!!!

We love our Motorhome-it is a comfortable, easy & relaxed drive & Snooper contributes to that. We have not yet ventured to France but I have faith in the Snooper.

Magic Roundabout

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
S 6450

Hi, i have the six series ventura. very pleased with the 7" screen, clear and easy to use. Go to Snoooper direct web site, current deal includes a free tracker unit with sim card (pay as you go)

Regards Bob

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi Dave

I purchased the Snooper DB8500 Ventura PRO Satnav last year and I have been very impressed with its quality and performance. I went for the DB8500 mainly for the larger 7 inch display, the DAB digital radio is excellent and there is a built in transmitter which allows you to tune it into an unused frequency on your vehicle radio so that the navigation directions play through your vehicle built in speakers. There is also a built in DVB-T Freeview digital TV but I have never used that feature. Excellent European mapping with life time updates and many many more features.
The Snooper products are quite pricey but I believe you get what you pay for.

Good luck,

Doug.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry to be negative Doug but my previous post:
I've done previous posts regarding the Sat Nav debate, my opinion has not changed that is they all display issues from time to time usually when its most inconvenient, my all 'singing and dancing' 8500 Snooper is just over a year old bought from 'Performance products' who recently Marketed an email to me informing me that's there's an update..wait for it £85!!! when I queried it by phone that after only one year it needs an update and this was the most expensive Sat Nav on the Market they played it down by trying to belittle the update that it wasn't important so the moral of this story buy as cheap as you can (posts here for under £70??) all Sat Nav's are overpriced and out of date after 12 months, in fact its time Trading Standards investigated Sat Nav Manufactures as surely their products should have at least a future product reliance built into them for at least 2-3 years??

Update: since this post SNOOPER have offered me a special deal of the lifetime maps £99.00. My Ventura was just two weeks outside of their new policy of the 'Life time maps'...bitter, you bet as it stands from my experience I would never buy an expensive Sat Nav again, buy the Chinese truck Sat Nav at the price their offering it for you could change it every eighteen months - two years and have a completely up to date unit:RollEyes:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have had the S5000 since it came out around 3 1/2 years ago. perm wired and reversing camera plumbed to it. only issue i have had was intermittent charging last year ( 3 years old ) Snooper checked it out and located the fault to the external charger which they replaced FREE of charge ( 2 years out of warranty ) .:thumb:

well done snooper:thumb:

its expensive compared to the " Chinese Truck sat nav" but i would not be without it. i only wish that the lifetime maps had been available when i bought it.

if you are going to buy a snooper buy it from performance products ( who are Snooper ) not Snooper direct who is a franchisee, and in my experience with them no where near as helpfull as Performance products.:thumb:

dbailey2

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS ADVANTAGE T6511
Exp
Since 2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry to be negative Doug but my previous post:
I've done previous posts regarding the Sat Nav debate, my opinion has not changed that is they all display issues from time to time usually when its most inconvenient, my all 'singing and dancing' 8500 Snooper is just over a year old bought from 'Performance products' who recently Marketed an email to me informing me that's there's an update..wait for it £85!!! when I queried it by phone that after only one year it needs an update and this was the most expensive Sat Nav on the Market they played it down by trying to belittle the update that it wasn't important so the moral of this story buy as cheap as you can (posts here for under £70??) all Sat Nav's are overpriced and out of date after 12 months, in fact its time Trading Standards investigated Sat Nav Manufactures as surely their products should have at least a future product reliance built into them for at least 2-3 years??

Update: since this post SNOOPER have offered me a special deal of the lifetime maps £99.00. My Ventura was just two weeks outside of their new policy of the 'Life time maps'...bitter, you bet as it stands from my experience I would never buy an expensive Sat Nav again, buy the Chinese truck Sat Nav at the price their offering it for you could change it every eighteen months - two years and have a completely up to date unit:RollEyes:
Mentaliss,
There is no need to apologise to me for seeming to be negative, everybody has their own opinion on things. I can understand your frustration on just missing out on the Snooper free lifetime software and map updates offer. I must have been lucky when I purchased mine. Other members on this post have been critical of the Snooper software like not being able to permanently set routes with no toll roads, or problems entering destination coordinates. With the DB8500 when I select route preferences like fastest route or quickest route, avoid toll roads etc those settings remain fixed until I change them even after the unit is switched off and back on again. And with entering coordinates there are three options available, you can enter 1)decimal degrees 2) degrees, minutes & seconds 3) degrees & decimal minutes. I can't see the problem.
As I said before I cannot fault this product.

Doug.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Mentaliss,
There is no need to apologise to me for seeming to be negative, everybody has their own opinion on things. I can understand your frustration on just missing out on the Snooper free lifetime software and map updates offer. I must have been lucky when I purchased mine. Other members on this post have been critical of the Snooper software like not being able to permanently set routes with no toll roads, or problems entering destination coordinates. With the DB8500 [HI]when I select route preferences like fastest route or quickest route, avoid toll roads etc those settings remain fixed until I change them even after the unit is switched off and back on again. And with entering coordinates there are three options available, you can enter 1)decimal degrees 2) degrees, minutes & seconds 3) degrees & decimal minutes. I can't see the problem.
As I said before I cannot fault this product.[/HI]

Doug.

i would agree totally had no such issues with mine, good product.:thumb:

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi mentalis, sorry to learn of your Snooper update experience. I bought mine with the 'lifetime free updates'. When I plugged into Windows 7 on my Mac to update it would not update-needed a code or summit. So I rang Snooper support & they just asked where I bought it from (I had registered it) & they gave me the code & bob's your uncle & fanny...

Just thought maybe worth a call & try & claim?

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi mentalis, sorry to learn of your Snooper update experience. I bought mine with the 'lifetime free updates'. When I plugged into Windows 7 on my Mac to update it would not update-needed a code or summit. So I rang Snooper support & they just asked where I bought it from (I had registered it) & they gave me the code & bob's your uncle & fanny...

Just thought maybe worth a call & try & claim?

we (my wife and I) she's more calmer than me:Smile: rang twice, hence in the end we received the offer of £99.00...however this is not the whole story of my dissatisfaction with the product which I have not mentioned here in this topic..why, because I do not wish to jeopardize the offer that has presented to me, if I take up this offer I will consider my options as to weather I resurect my previous complaint......:Sad:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we (my wife and I) she's more calmer than me:Smile: rang twice, hence in the end we received the offer of £99.00...however this is not the whole story of my dissatisfaction with the product which I have not mentioned here in this topic..why, because I do not wish to jeopardize the offer that has presented to me, if I take up this offer I will consider my options as to weather I resurect my previous complaint......:Sad:

did you buy it from Snooper Direct another franchiser or Performance products? i had a bad experience with snooper direct and it was all sorted with Performance products:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mentaliss,
There is no need to apologise to me for seeming to be negative, everybody has their own opinion on things. I can understand your frustration on just missing out on the Snooper free lifetime software and map updates offer. I must have been lucky when I purchased mine. Other members on this post have been critical of the Snooper software like not being able to permanently set routes with no toll roads, or problems entering destination coordinates. With the DB8500 when I select route preferences like fastest route or quickest route, avoid toll roads etc those settings remain fixed until I change them even after the unit is switched off and back on again. And with entering coordinates there are three options available, you can enter 1)decimal degrees 2) degrees, minutes & seconds 3) degrees & decimal minutes. I can't see the problem.
As I said before I cannot fault this product.

Doug.

Hi Doug , the three options of entering co ordinates are not available on my 7000, might try and see if a software update is available :thumb:

Oct 8, 2013
Jersey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Poi's how important are they?

When I phoned performance products re a map update on s7000 which has asci but pre cc campsites, I was told that the poi's are not updated, so supermarkets and everything else which I use are over two years old.
While I agree the screen size is attractive plus the camera feed. The rear camera is now the main use for the machine as surely the latest poi's must be high on the agenda... Or am I missing a trick....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I phoned performance products re a map update on s7000 which has asci but pre cc campsites,[HI] I was told that the poi's are not updated, so supermarkets and everything else which I use are over two years old. [/HI]
While I agree the screen size is attractive plus the camera feed. The rear camera is now the main use for the machine as surely the latest poi's must be high on the agenda... Or am I missing a trick....

The only sat nav manufacturers I've come across who will not let customers load their own POI sets are Snooper and Pronav (Navevo). I should have thought that updating supplied POIs would be high priority in those circumstances.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Snooper db8500

UPDATE:
Well, we received the update software (disc) today £99.00...duly loaded the disc into the PC drive started to look as if it was going to be hassle free Oh! wait a second this message comes up ; An Error has occurred Serial Number mate...... has not been enabled for MAP UPDATES:Doh::Doh::Angry: how did I guess there would be a problem??? as I said I wouldn't buy another Snooper

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back