Sneaky French Copper

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by deanroofing, Sep 9, 2015.

1. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

Homeward bound come through Rouen and the first Aire as you come out of Rouen, there was a copper hiding behind a post no high vis like our boys, with his speed camera just sticking out, glad l had the cruise control on, bet he got a few peeps.

• Like Like x 1
  2. makems

makems Funster Life Member

You want to see the "speed gun ninjas" in Morocco.
    They will hide in between the Armco barriers in the centre reservation of the motorway and just pop up to fir the gun and catch you. Or hide behind the pillars of a bridge. Then radio his comrades who will be waiting at the next toll booth.
    They will also choose locations such as outside the speed limit area to catch people speeding up as they approach the speed delimit sign. Or hidden in bushes or trees.
    Sneaky so and so's, but if you stick to the speed limits they won't be a problem.

• Like Like x 7
  3. JohnH

JohnH Funster

Many years ago we took our two sons to France with a trailer tent. Lots of French drivers were flashing their headlights at us and waving. We thought then, what a friendly country and such lovely people. We had to stop a few kilometres further along for my eldest boy to relieve himself. He was only about nine and the washer was weak. He went to the nearest bush and starting relieving himself then shouted "why is that man watching me". I jumped to his defence and came face to face with a very bedraggled gendarme.
    He was very upset and said something to do with going to change his shirt and the machine he had in his hand which was dripping with you know what.
    I often wonder if a few motorists that day knew that a small English boy had saved them a few Francs.

• Like Like x 24
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I saw loads of them hiding behind trees and signs on the exits to the motorway aires last week.

They didn't stop me thankfully as I didn't have my breathaliser kit, wasn't displaying GB plates, hadn't altered my headlights and didn't have any reflective vest or warning triangle.

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Fenman

Fenman Funster

One of their favourites in France is, particularly on autoroutes, where the limit comes down to 90kph - often as you come to a viaduct or roadworks - and only a matter of yards inside that sign they will be hiding with the old hair-dryer in their hand.
    It's very easy to miss those sudden drops as you simply aren't expecting them and concentration is a little lax when it's a long dual carriageway run.
    And, of course, as they are not fixed traps then TomTom doesn't bleep for them.

6. busby

busby Funster

You don't need a Breathaliser kit or or a GB plate if you have uk on your no plate...BUSBY.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris

We don't have Uk on our plates(on my wife's car anyway).

8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I did see a lot of the Gendarmes hiding in very sneaky locations on our recent holiday. Hiding behind motorway bridge supports seems to be a favourite!
    One jumped out on us in a 80kph over 3.5tonne section. He held the gun on us for ages, he must have been gutted that we were doing 50mph on cruise. It was running through my mind "It doesn't matter how many time you check, I ain't speeding!" :)

9. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

I don't want to sound like a killjoy or jobsworthy but why haven't you got a High viz jacket/s and warning triangle in the vehicle?

Which ever country you're in it makes sense to have them and is definitely illegal in France not to have them and the fines are between €90 and €135.

10. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Agreed, it is a bit silly not to carry these items, OK they may well serve no purpose, but it is the law. I believe I picked up all of the above for around £15 from Halfords. Not a breath test kit, these are no longer mandatory, the lobbyist (who probably owned shares in a breath test kit company) failed to get the law to stick.

Every country has it's own laws, for example the road safety groups would have us believe that driving at 80mph on the motorway means that you are a homicidal maniac, however, that is actually the speed limit in France. Observe the law in the country you are in!

11. Chris

I don't recognise French law.

That's the simple answer.

I do though have high viz vests and triangle in the van.

12. maison

maison Funster

But other than that, you were strictly legal.:whistle:(y)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chris

Didn't phrase that very well.

What I meant to say was I don't recognise the authority of the French authorities to impose rules on me.

I know they have that authority and I would get fined if caught but its just my little pathetic protest.:D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Well ... I don't have a breathalyser and I do have a GB stuck either on my car and on Max .... There is a small F too but who cares .... My heart is French but my spirit is English ... What can they do hey? No one has ever bothered asking me anything lol ! Mind you I have a big English flag on my car.... ok colours are different but you deffo recognise what it's claiming! SL375761.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  15. busby

busby Funster

Good job the majority of our immigrant population or foreign visitors don't think the same...BUSBY:):):):)

• Like Like x 4
  16. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Maybe he's fed up with scraping dead bodies off the road and has decided to take direct action?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Your Tomtom mustn't bleep anyway, it's an offence for a satnav device to warn of speed traps in France.

18. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

TomTom updated their software, when approaching a speed trap, it now warns of an accident blackspot, which is of course perfectly legal!

19. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

That's right, I think you have to activate it as a warning sound in settings.
    I haven't done this but it may be worthwhile, cheers!

20. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

Not this time Inspector Clouseau

POLICE.jpg

• Like Like x 3