Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Grrrr just caught my shoulder on the key in the bed motor switch on my Benimar 286 and bent it, tried to straighten it but it snapped, luckily I took it out of the switch before messing with it. I have a spare, took it to two local key cutters but no joy, one said not a chance too small and one didn't have any blanks of that size.

Will call Marquis shortly to see if they can help.

Sooooo annoyed with my self

T

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You have a key for your bed ?

Come on FUNsters, there's got to be a good laugh to be had here.

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Yes, it's a drop down electric version

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Sure you could swap the switch out for something more conventional. I guess the 'key' bit is to try and prevent accidental operation.
Put the key on a lanyard around your neck. No chance of leaving it in the switch then.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Grrrr just caught my shoulder on the key in the bed motor switch on my Benimar 286 and bent it, tried to straighten it but it snapped, luckily I took it out of the switch before messing with it. I have a spare, took it to two local key cutters but no joy, one said not a chance too small and one didn't have any blanks of that size.

Will call Marquis shortly to see if they can help.

Sooooo annoyed with my self

T
I think the bed mechanism is supplied by Project 2000 http://www.project-2000.it

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
oh yes it is...
Untitled-11.jpg

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
OK Marquis have them, so All OK again.

The key is never normally left in, I take it out as soon as the bed is up or down, and sits on it's own hook above the door for safe keeping, just sods law today I didn't and in a split second bingo, there it was gone.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The key is never normally left in, I take it out as soon as the bed is up or down, and sits on it's own hook above the door for safe keeping, just sods law today I didn't and in a split second bingo, there it was gone.

Not really your fault, clearly an accident waiting to happen caused by bad design.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you are sloping, is it possible to adjust the bed so that it's level?
I think I already know the answer, but you ought to be able to by adding a block or two under the bed (you don't want it swinging around).

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
All I will say is the bed drops down to lounge seat level and rests on these but if just off them it is supported by 4 seat belt straps, it's not built for and shenanigans.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All I will say is the bed drops down to lounge seat level and rests on these but if just off them it is supported by 4 seat belt straps, it's not built for and shenanigans.

It's a brave attempt at solving the wasted bed space or climb into the Luton. At a distance it looks like it introduces new problems instead. Like both have to go to bed at the same time. Main walkway is blocked.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It can't be bad design because it isn't a British van,,BUSBY:):)

Nice try. But I think on the whole we say Brits are badly built rather bad design. Personally I think they are all pretty crappy these days, trading style for substance and the problems created by folk demanding a fixed double bed. This is one such case, the complexity and weight of a double bed hung from the ceiling by straps and electric motors. On the move, all that weight high up, just where you don't want weight.

Our last good look round was Malvern Caravan Show which had a lot of MHs. Some of the designs are just criminal, like an oven at eye height, just designed for someone to pour the hot fat off the Sunday roast over their chest. And, once out of the oven, little or no space to put down the tray.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980

Who on earth would buy a double bed not designed for shenanigans?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
If its any help they look are all the same key Marquis sent me a new controller without any keys and the old ones fitted, I suspect that any key that goes in the barrel will work something like the cheap Chinese padlock keys from the pound shop?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
when viewing a Benimar 282 at the NEC a guy walked into a model with 2 drop down beds (rear lounge and over dinette) he instantly said "This is no good. It blocks the door if there's a fire"

:Eeek:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

Join us or log in to post a reply.