Smoking in motorhomes: new law October 2015 (1 Viewer)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Interesting. Although by definition most MH's are living accommodation when used for camping - I don't know many who use theirs as a daily vehicle (apart from me and my old campervan)....

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I take it to mean that you can smoke when you are parked up for the night but not when you are driving from place to place.

From observation most owners who smoke do so right under our window, come rain or shine, and not in the comfort of their own vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Whatever next.................... By the year 2016 you will to be allowed to fart in your MH or swear and worst of all no sex............ wait and see it will happen.

Can manage without farting and sex but swearing I'm not so sure ................

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Well - as someone who grew up in the 70's with parents who both smoked, I have vivid memories of absolutely hating car trips, long ones especially, purely because of having to breathe in the smoke. Opening the window an inch or so, as they used to do, does next to nothing.

Of course times have moved on and so have attitudes, neither of them smoke any more and even if they did there's no way they'd do so in front of children, let alone in the confined space of a car with children in.

I can't help but feel though that all responsible parents / grandparents have already stopped smoking in front of kids. This law will be ignored by most of those it targets.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The rules apply to motorhomes, campervans and caravans when they are being used as a vehicle but don’t apply when they are being used as living accommodation.
There's the get out. I mean, who would sit in the hab door hole smoking at 50 MPH? :Eeek:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Every time a child breathes in secondhand smoke, they breathe in thousands of chemicals. This puts them at risk of serious conditions, such as meningitis, cancer and respiratory infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia. It can also make asthma worse.

Secondhand smoke is dangerous for anyone, but children are especially vulnerable, because they breathe more rapidly and have less developed airways, lungs and immune systems. Over 80% of cigarette smoke is invisible and opening windows does not remove its harmful effect.

Second hand smoke?:mad:

Bloody freeloaders!!!!:mad:

Make them buy their own!!!!(y)

:cooler:

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
When I was a smoker some years ago, I was told by some friends not to come round (if I was going to smoke) as third hand smoke was what was doing the rounds then... WTF?

I understand that 2nd hand smoke is a real issue. You only have to see what happened to Roy Castle.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Every time a child breathes in secondhand smoke, they breathe in thousands of chemicals. This puts them at risk of serious conditions, such as meningitis, cancer and respiratory infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia. It can also make asthma worse.
Funny, but every time a child breathes in second-hand air, they breath in thousands of chemicals, mostly from vehicle exhaust's, coal fired power stations, Selafield, chemical companies which emit 24/7, and lots of other stuff. Lets BAN THE WORLD! Then, our children will be safe! :Eeek:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Before retiring from work I had a job that enabled me to work from home and my employer provided broadband etc. However you were not permitted to smoke at home during working hours neither could you smoke in your own car when travelling to clients. Now that would take some policing!!!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Not everyone who breathes in smoke is going to die from it though...

Same with drinking ! My Grandad drank a bottle of whiskey Every day and he went on to be 87 !

It did kill him in the end though. Yeh,,,, He got knocked of his bike on the way home from the offie.. (Thats off licence to those below 115 years of age)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
neither could you smoke in your own car when travelling to clients.
HA!! Could you stop for a wee, or was that 'banned' as well??? o_O

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Before retiring from work I had a job that enabled me to work from home and my employer provided broadband etc. However you were not permitted to smoke at home during working hours neither could you smoke in your own car when travelling to clients. Now that would take some policing!!!

I also worked from home a lot. I understood that a home office was exempt unless members of the public or other staff could visit. If it was just you in your own house then you were allowed to smoke.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Checked up on it to be sure....

http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/faq/locations/

If Working From Home Does My Home Need to Be Smoke Free
If a part of a home is used solely for business it would have to be smoke free when it is used as a place of work for more than one person who doesn’t live at the address, where one person does live at the address yet one who works there doesn’t and / or where anyone who doesn’t live at the property comes to collect goods or take part in an offered service.

To be absolutely sure whether this applies to individual circumstances it would be best to contact the local council for absolute clarification.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
or where anyone who doesn’t live at the property comes to collect goods
And so, I'm breaking the law if I smoke when the postman arrives??? Incredulous.....:Eeek::Eeek:

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
In my teaching days I used to teach PSE and I was always moved by the number of students who used to come to me to ask how they could get their parents to give up smoking. They weren't concerned about damage to themselves but about death of their parents.

I used to have certain exercise books that I could not take home to mark as they stank so much that my house or car used to reek if I did. Many times I know that these books belonged to people who did not themselves smoke but lived with family who did.

Why, if smoking is such a good thing, do motorhome owners go outside, in all weathers, to have their fix ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This law will be ignored by most of those it targets.
Yes.

Why, if smoking is such a good thing, do motorhome owners go outside, in all weathers, to have their fix ?
Anyone who does needs there head tested. It's cold out there.
Politicians & the rest should be having better things to do than invent tat like this. You can't keep everyone living to 100+, although most would like to.:( People need to die to keep it all in balance otherwise we'll be fighting another war to thin us all out.:)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
In my teaching days I used to teach PSE and I was always moved by the number of students who used to come to me to ask how they could get their parents to give up smoking. They weren't concerned about damage to themselves but about death of their parents.

I used to have certain exercise books that I could not take home to mark as they stank so much that my house or car used to reek if I did. Many times I know that these books belonged to people who did not themselves smoke but lived with family who did.

As a kid, I was very glad when my parents gave up smoking for that very reason, I wanted them to live. Only good thing you can say is that it put me off them for life, I was never tempted.

I bought a used set of Silver Screens recently, when they turned up they were very clean and in great condition, but the parcel absolutely stank of fags. It took 3 goes scrubbing them with detergent outside and then leaving them to air in the garage for 4 weeks before the smell went away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back