Smoke Detector Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Robert Clark, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Hi Guys
    The smoke detector in my 1 month old Besaccarr MH broke today.
    Googled the model number to find that Which? magazine had condemned the model as it had failed their 'smoulder' test last October.
    Called my local dealer who said that they could send me a replacement, but didn't have one in stock and would have to get one from Swift which could take 2 weeks.
    In desperation I asked for help on the Swift forum and was very surprised by their response.
    Swift are still fitting the same part, even though it failed the Which? test - would it not have been wise to pick an alternative model, even if only to reassure customers?
    Swift have refused to send me a replacement direct, as its not how they work.
    I am surprised that Swift would put a company policy ahead of customer safety.
    I am also surprised that they would not simply go the their stores and put a smoke detector in a box and post it to the dealer by first class post.
    Thankfully its not an expensive part to replace myself, and that is what I will do, as my families safety is more important to me than arguing the toss with those guys!
    (rant over!)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

The "like" is for your last sentence.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Do you also carry a CO monitor, my understanding is this will cover both smoke and carbon monoxide

So hopefully you are still protected (y)

4. Robert Clark

Hi David
    In my van they are two separate items so I guess not

5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

hopefully it will provide some protection, we have a CO monitor in our conservatory where we have a log burner

If we ever get smoke in the room the CO monitor goes off

We were told years ago when looking to open up an old chimney, that by the time you can smell smoke you will have high levels of CO

Stay safe

Crap deal from Swift by the way to stay on thread

• Like Like x 1
  6. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Took the battery out of the one in our van as it goes off if you so much as boil the kettle :( got two in the house though that Val regularily “ tests ” :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

1) Kinda demonstrating you are not rally familiar with Swift there I am afraid !!! :doh:

2) Swift do not seem to understand ANYTHING that has the words first class attached :swear:

• Like Like x 1
  8. easygirl

easygirl Read Only Funster

I've contacted swift on 3 occasions over the last few months re our new motorhome.
    On each occasion they have gone the extra mile to sort my problems out.
    On one occasion they sent an engineer over 200 miles to fit a locker door handle before I went on holiday.
    I have been impressed with them so far

• Like Like x 2
  9. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

The CO monitor will only go off in a fire if the fire itself burns incompletely and produces carbon monoxide. By this time, it will probably be too late, which is why most vans have one smoke detector (which works on an ionisation principle (afaik) and can detect the first wisps of smoke, usually your bacon or toast. The last van had the detector always going off as it was right over the kitchen, so regular reset button pressing. Current van has it about halfway toward the front so a sensible position. Smoke detector should never have the battery removed - if it is a nuisance, then move it to another position. Smoke rises so it must be high up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Robert - I suggest you bear this in mind when buying your next motorhome, and so should we all. To have such a couldn't care less approach to such a safety critical item is disgraceful.

the first thing we did when we bought or second hand motorhome was to fit smoke and CO alarms

I do not think that is correct. Some are dual purpose but most aren't.

• Like Like x 1
  11. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

Our smoke detector doesn't know the difference between steam and smoke, goes off when using the shower!

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Have to ask...
    Was this on a new(ish) MH ?

13. easygirl

easygirl Read Only Funster

Was a brand new motorhome

14. OllieUK

OllieUK Read Only Funster

The motor home I bought last year had a few niggly things wrong, when I spoke to the workshop at J.C. there was no problem putting things right. Of course I have to take the motor home back to their place in East Sussex 150 mile round trip.
    I did know that this may happen when I decided to buy from there.
    Any regrets? - NO
    Would I buy from again - Certainly.

15. Robert Clark

Update - Decided not to wait 2 weeks for Swift to send my local dealer a replacement smoke alarm as I had completely lost confidence in the one fitted by Swift since it had been condemned by Which? having failed to go off, during a 'smoulder' test. On their forum Swift said they are continuing to use the same alarm as the suppliers had assured them it was 'OK!' however I'm surprised that they didn't switch to another model just to maintain customer confidence. I'm not prepared to take a chance with my families safety so have invested in a different model, from a different manufacturer. One which apparently is designed to avoid false alarms caused when cooking.
    Problem solved!
    Regards
    Robert

16. goldwinger

goldwinger Funster

You may consider this type works slightly different to most smoke alarms, we have had one for a while with no false alarms it an optical type not an ionisation chamber.
    • £19.98
    Qty:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Zoom

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    The Atom - The World's Smallest Smoke Alarm
    EAN: 0816317001520
    [​IMG] (3)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The Atom is the world's smallest smoke alarm. Fire and rescue services recommend at least one smoke alarm on every floor of every home, and so the Atom couldn't be more perfect for securing your home in a reassuring and unobtrusive way. With an award winning design, the Atom is small but mighty with a 90 decibel alarm and an optical sensor to know the difference between cooking fumes and real danger.

Delivery
    Next day delivery (now includes Saturdays)
    More about delivery
    Share this:

• Like Like x 2