Smoke Alarm issue? Tried Batteries. (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
On buying my new motorhome just over a week ago the only thing mentioned was that they replaced the battery on the smoke detector as it was low. Awesome.

Well a day or two into having it the thing went off. I reset it and it went off again. I thought it was strange as it was a new battery and a low battery warning is normally just a blip sound.

But I went out and bought the Bentley of the battery world. The Duracell 9V'er

Installed and worked a treat for the test night we had on Friday. I took it down while I cooked the bacon and sausages in the morning for the obvious reason.

Anyway yesterday I went to the van to do a few tinkering jobs and put the heating on and about 2min later the thing went off again! I reset it again and a few seconds later it went off again.

Its now sat with the battery out in a drawer.

Is it a faulty unit? Am I doing something wrong? Are they a bad make?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Fireangel are probably the best make ... what model is it? I'm wondering if it's a dual alarm CO2 sensor in which case you could have a gas problem (hope not).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Anything electronic can develop a fault at any time.
Don't risking it, buy a new one.
Ionization alarms are far less susceptible than in cooking than optical alarms.
Best of the lot are heat alarms but they are the slowest to respond to fire.

Reactions: GJH

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We have the same model and it drives us crazy. I've tried changing the battery and having a stern word but it still shrieks at us for no apparent reason. It's for the recycling methinks.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I have installed several of these over the years in the house and my previous and current motorhome and did have one that squealed so was replaced

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Just get a new smoke / carbon monoxide alarm.
Kidde seem a good make

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A tip for when this happens. It can apply to domestic ones in a house just as well as these.

If it's bleeping for no obvious reason and you've eliminated the battery it might just need resetting.

Press and hold the test button until it starts sounding then count 10 and release it. I f you have more than one interlinked for example in a house wait until they are all sounding before you start the count.

More often than not this will cure it, if it doesn't then it's time for a new one.

The source of this was Aico tech support. Aico are the manufacturers of the most common ones used in houses. I've found it works on other brands as well.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Press and hold the test button until it starts sounding then count 10 and release it. I f you have more than one interlinked for example in a house wait until they are all sounding before you start the count.
You may want to be standing in the same deserted field as me and my builders generator when you try that ;)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have just replaced a Kidde alarm at home, it was defunct. We have 8 in the house and I generally renew them all every 10 years, this one was only 5 years old.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Not worth the worry. If in doubt, replace it immediately.

Fire Angel kit is ok usually, but they're not expensive relative to the cost of replacing the M/H or even the loss of life

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
This is a timely thread. We replaced are old smoke alarm a couple of months ago because the old one broke (nothing to do with all the false alarms honest, but we used to call it the toast alarm).

When I burnt the toast yesterday I mentioned to Colin that the new smoke alarm has never gone off. He held it over the still smoking toast and it still didn't go off. It tests OK but what good is that if actual smoke won't set it off. Will be out searching for another one today.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
This is a timely thread. We replaced are old smoke alarm a couple of months ago because the old one broke (nothing to do with all the false alarms honest, but we used to call it the toast alarm).

When I burnt the toast yesterday I mentioned to Colin that the new smoke alarm has never gone off. He held it over the still smoking toast and it still didn't go off. It tests OK but what good is that if actual smoke won't set it off. Will be out searching for another one today.

Funnily enough, most of the 'posh' ones now advertise themselves as 'toast proof' - as in they don't go off every time you burn the toast. So if you do change you may want to check which model you replace it with! o_O

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Funnily enough, most of the 'posh' ones now advertise themselves as 'toast proof' - as in they don't go off every time you burn the toast. So if you do change you may want to check which model you replace it with! o_O
OK, I didn't know that, thanks. I better test it again.

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Anything electronic can develop a fault at any time.
Don't risking it, buy a new one.
Ionization alarms are far less susceptible than in cooking than optical alarms.
Best of the lot are heat alarms but they are the slowest to respond to fire.

Sorry Papa it is the other way round.

Optical alarms can be installed near (not in) kitchens, as they are less likely than ionisation alarms to go off when toast is burned.

Quote from here: http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/smoke-alarms

...........................................................................................................................................................................
http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/smoke-alarms
There are many different types of alarms, smoke (various), CO (carbon Monoxide) and Heat (High heat flame without smoke).

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back