Smev hob small burners (1 Viewer)

Jun 19, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I hope this is the place to ask about my Smev hob small burner its one of 3 burners 2 larger burners that are working OK the smaller one is getting gas but it does not get full flame could the jet be blocked do you have to take the plate off the top of the burner ( held on by 2 screws) they look a bit rusty anyone had the same problem ( using propane) thanks for any help.Robert.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Jet sounds partly blocked. Remove 2 plate screws and remove along with alloy burner. You should see the brass jet shaped like a nut. Unscrew this and clear it. Dont use a metal pin unless it is smaller than jet size as making jet size bigger will let to much gas through. You can soak it in very hot water should clean any grease out blow through with compressed air.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've just discovered a problem where I can't turn one of the knobs at all, also got another where the hob light,.s but even after 1 minute as soon as you release the knob the hob goes out, any ideas?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've just discovered a problem where I can't turn one of the knobs at all, also got another where the hob light,.s but even after 1 minute as soon as you release the knob the hob goes out, any ideas?
If the flame goes out when you release the knob it will be the flame failure thermocouple, you might find the end is burnt away.

Martin

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
As one of the nobs is not moving make sure it is pushed all the way in. Try WD 40 on the shaft after pulling the nob off. Push nob back on and try to move it back and forth lots of times with gentle movements and more WD40. It cou,d take 10 mins to free up. Dont snap brass shaft.

OP
OP
SAKURA
Jun 19, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I had to drill the heads off the screws then it came apart OK managed to take old screws out cleaned jet in hot water and blow out OK now just going to get new screws and put it all back together thanks for all your help ( Best forum on tinternet) Robert.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi I had to drill the heads off the screws then it came apart OK managed to take old screws out cleaned jet in hot water and blow out OK now just going to get new screws and put it all back together thanks for all your help ( Best forum on tinternet) Robert.
Use Copaslip on the new screws just in case you need to remove them in future.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Tony, are they special screws or easily obtainable standard screws? I would prefer to replace with stainless as ive just had to drill the heads off on one of the burners as they were badly rusted, so I could clean the burner plate as the flame outlets were blocked due to rust from the bottom of the burner plate

it works fine without the screws ( just waiting for the wd40 to do its magic so I can remove the screws.

I doubt it even need screws to hold it down as other cookers don't use them ??

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Tony, are they special screws or easily obtainable standard screws? I would prefer to replace with stainless as ive just had to drill the heads off on one of the burners as they were badly rusted, so I could clean the burner plate as the flame outlets were blocked due to rust from the bottom of the burner plate

it works fine without the screws ( just waiting for the wd40 to do its magic so I can remove the screws.

I'd guess they'll be M3 or M4 screws.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I will let you know lol !! they definitely look like a machine thread. I thought at first they might be self tappers but having looked at the hob a lot closer, I am pretty sure they are machine threads. I will post some photos on the next post to help anyone else with the same problem.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
20180417_113308.jpg

the first photo shows the screw heads corroded and therefore they cannot be unscrewed

20180417_112928.jpg

on the second photo you can see the screws from the underneath of the removed hob. I had to remove the hob as one of the screws had corroded so badly that even after drilling off the screw head, it snapped close to the hob top, so I couldn't use pliers to remove the screw from the top - so I had to remove it from the bottom.

20180417_113312.jpg

from the top of the hob you can now see the burner assembly removed and both screws removed.

20180417_112932.jpg

and in the last photo from underneath you can again see the screws removed.

after looking at the holes in the hob itself, they appear to be for machined screws but I think theyre actually self tappers - ive seen the screws advertised on line at around £2 each !! so I will have a quick look in my screw 'stash' or failing that, will try local hardware store and let you know what size they are.

I will replace all the screws and that way I can clean all the burner assemblies. it was the underneath of the burner plate that had rusted and was blocking the 'finned outlets' as opposed to the burner jet being the problem, so it just seems to make sense to do them all as I now have the hob out and I can then regularly strip them down for routine maintenance

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I had this problem on a hob and the screws in question eventually rusted right through. Never got round to drilling them out and the burner continued to work ok with the cap just resting on. Eventually solved the problem once and for all by buying a nice shiny new van! :D

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013

I fitted new top plates and burners on ours, also fitted new screws.
https://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-online/spares-smev-spares-c-1345_1358.html?cPath=1345_1358

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I did think about new top plates and burners, but for the cost of a packet of drills to drill the old screws out, the originals cleaned up were perfectly adequate !
20180417_153442.jpg

these screws did the trick, I know theyre oversized on the heads (pan heads as opposed to countersunk)

20180417_154206.jpg

everything nicely cleaned up - though as the boss said its ok for a man clean ....

20180417_144455.jpg

photo showing the build up of rust over time which eventually led to the 'finned areas' becoming clogged and blocking the flame.

20180417_144528.jpg

you can see the underside of the top plate. notice the pitting around the edge. those coincide with the finned areas and contributed to and caused the clogging up !

20180417_144504.jpg

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977

I've had this problem with a SMEV hob. The cause was the connection coming loose at the back if the tap. Although it looks like a tiny pipe it is fact an electrical connection in a similar form to that used for fire alarms etc. 'Pyro' or mineral-insulated copper-clad cable but in miniature. The fix was no more than just screwing up the little union.

Rod

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Rod - are you sure that wasn't the thermocouple/flame failure device? when I undertook the work above I noticed on two of the burners the circlip holding the ffd had disintegrated but I just made sure there was enough of the ffd exposed to the flame and they work fine !

TOP TIP

if you want to remove the smev hob - on my particular hob the four fixing screws (one in each corner) screw into plastic blocks with a retaining clip. this clip fastens the hob to the underneath of the worktop. you don't need to remove the screws - if you do the blocks will fall off and might drop down to in inaccessible place (doh!)

when you undo the screw in anti clockwise direction it turns the retaining clip inwards and allows the hob to be lifted out. when you refit the hob and tighten the screws in a clockwise direction, it turns the retaining clip outwards securing the hob in place

REMEMBER - NO NEED TO REMOVE THE FOUR CORNER SCREWS COMPLETELY !!!

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Came across this old thread as I had a similar issue, hob burners not working as well as they should, and about half the screws that hold the burner caps on had heads that were sufficiently corroded that they would not come out. Drilled the heads off carefully, then the burner caps and the finned piece underneath lift off and the remains of the screw can be removed quite easily with pliers.

The screws are just self tappers - No.4 x 1 1/4" (2.9mm x 32mm) Pozi Raised Countersunk screws are a perfect replacement, heads very close to the same size as the original, a pack of 10 stainless steel ones that shouldn't corrode as quickly cost me £1.79 on Ebay.

After a good clean and taking one of the jets out to clear it with some carburettor cleaner, the hob is back to working perfectly on all burners.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the screws are only there to keep the burner cap in place in a moving vehicle domestic ones are just layed on top

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back