Smelly water

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Soaringman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

What do people use to clean out the grey water holding tank and to get rid of the smells? :Eek!:

2. philw111

philw111 Funster

We use bicarbonate of soda. Pour a solution down each plughole and then go for a drive around to swill it about in the tank before emptying.

Phil

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Cup of Bold or Daz biological diluted with a gallon of water.

Peter

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Any of the above will work. Best thing is to empty it, if an empty tank smells then you really do need to disinfect it. If you can't empty for whatever reason when travelling, keep plugs in your kitchen sink and shower tray and if it is getting a bit wiffy it keeps it out of the motorhome:thumb:

5. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

you could also upgrade the traps to european ons which work by storing some water in the bottom to stop the smells coming through, just like the u bend in domestic drains, they are called 128108
    SMEV 25mm Syphon Double Waste fitting.

as per the Leisureshopdirect website, I got the double one due to the draining board draining into the same pipe

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've used Buster Kitchen Plughole & Sink Cleaner when we get home after every trip after seeing a review in a magazine some years ago. Don't pay full price though; Lidl & Aldi have it in their specials list reasonably often so I buy a couple of bottles each time.

I keep a bottle in the van but have never had to use it whilst away. What I have used though, having seen it mentioned several times on forums, is orange cordial (supermarket own brand). A glug of about as much as you would put in a glass poured down the offending plug hole does the trick for some reason. I don't know the science behind it but it works.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There's one of those fitted to the kitchen sink in our van but apparently not to the basin in the washroom - it's the latter that does allow odours through if anything.

8. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    I got a tip from a friend re waste tank pour a 2 litre bottle of coke down the plug holes, on the way back home from a trip after emptying on site etc, the coke will clean all sorts of rubish, I was shocked what came out of mine :Eek!:, then a bottle of good smelling disinfectant to freshen up. Pete :thumb::thumb:

9. archie2000

archie2000 Funster

A glug of Asda's own brand sterilising fluid every couple of days. Less than £1 for 1250ml.

Put the glug into the waste water thats going down plughole.

If it's safe for babies bottles etc. can't see it doing any harm to a plastic water tank.

We have been using it for four years with no probs ( touch wood ).

If you've got a shiney plughole (new van) I wouldn't advise using it. For those

older vehicles like ours with plugholes that are less than perfect it is a cheap solution to a

smelly problem

10. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We have found the Thetford Grey Waste Freshener very effective,and it has removed a black scale which was lining our tank when we bought it (pre-loved). It also increases the empting rate when it starts to slow down.

Mike.

11. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

A 2 litre bottle of supermarket cola, only 17p cleans almost anything, use it in the cassette too:thumb:

12. lorger

lorger Funster

we have poured diluting orange juice down our and seems to work, i also always leave the tap open when not in use also on site i tend to empty it every day into bucket and down the grey waste drain.

13. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

Bleech, domestos.
    After a days use wash out the sink and washbasin and showerer with a solution of water and bleech. you will always have a clean a d sweet smelling gray tank.
    PK

• Like Like x 2
  14. margies

margies Read Only Funster

The bicarbonate soda would do the trick!

15. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

It helps in the first place if you dont empty tea/coffee down it if you take milk in your drinks, tip them in a separate container which you can empty at the appropriate point, another thing to cause smells etc is excess fat/oil from cooking once again tip into a container when cool then wipe out the item with kitchen roll before washing.
    Both of the above items are the main cause of smells in the grey tank

16. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

The Dilute Orange always worked for us any own brand will do....Own Brand sterilising fluid (as in Milton Fluid) is good too..I once used DAZ powder diluted it to around half a cup to a couple of pints of water poured it down each plug'ole..left it for a day when we were touring...sloshing around in the tank...got to a site and dumped it out smelt luvverlee...

17. village

village Read Only Funster

we had this problem if you leave the tank lever open and let it breath between journeys seems to solve the problem