Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We use bicarbonate of soda. Pour a solution down each plughole and then go for a drive around to swill it about in the tank before emptying.

Phil

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Any of the above will work. Best thing is to empty it, if an empty tank smells then you really do need to disinfect it. If you can't empty for whatever reason when travelling, keep plugs in your kitchen sink and shower tray and if it is getting a bit wiffy it keeps it out of the motorhome:thumb:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
you could also upgrade the traps to european ons which work by storing some water in the bottom to stop the smells coming through, just like the u bend in domestic drains, they are called 128108
SMEV 25mm Syphon Double Waste fitting.

as per the Leisureshopdirect website, I got the double one due to the draining board draining into the same pipe

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've used Buster Kitchen Plughole & Sink Cleaner when we get home after every trip after seeing a review in a magazine some years ago. Don't pay full price though; Lidl & Aldi have it in their specials list reasonably often so I buy a couple of bottles each time.

I keep a bottle in the van but have never had to use it whilst away. What I have used though, having seen it mentioned several times on forums, is orange cordial (supermarket own brand). A glug of about as much as you would put in a glass poured down the offending plug hole does the trick for some reason. I don't know the science behind it but it works.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
you could also upgrade the traps to european ons which work by storing some water in the bottom to stop the smells coming through, just like the u bend in domestic drains, they are called 128108
SMEV 25mm Syphon Double Waste fitting.
as per the Leisureshopdirect website, I got the double one due to the draining board draining into the same pipe

There's one of those fitted to the kitchen sink in our van but apparently not to the basin in the washroom - it's the latter that does allow odours through if anything.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I got a tip from a friend re waste tank pour a 2 litre bottle of coke down the plug holes, on the way back home from a trip after emptying on site etc, the coke will clean all sorts of rubish, I was shocked what came out of mine :whatthe:, then a bottle of good smelling disinfectant to freshen up. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
A glug of Asda's own brand sterilising fluid every couple of days. Less than £1 for 1250ml.

Put the glug into the waste water thats going down plughole.

If it's safe for babies bottles etc. can't see it doing any harm to a plastic water tank.

We have been using it for four years with no probs ( touch wood ).

If you've got a shiney plughole (new van) I wouldn't advise using it. For those

older vehicles like ours with plugholes that are less than perfect it is a cheap solution to a

smelly problem

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have found the Thetford Grey Waste Freshener very effective,and it has removed a black scale which was lining our tank when we bought it (pre-loved). It also increases the empting rate when it starts to slow down.

Mike.

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
A 2 litre bottle of supermarket cola, only 17p cleans almost anything, use it in the cassette too:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
we have poured diluting orange juice down our and seems to work, i also always leave the tap open when not in use also on site i tend to empty it every day into bucket and down the grey waste drain.

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Bleech, domestos.
After a days use wash out the sink and washbasin and showerer with a solution of water and bleech. you will always have a clean a d sweet smelling gray tank.
PK

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
It helps in the first place if you dont empty tea/coffee down it if you take milk in your drinks, tip them in a separate container which you can empty at the appropriate point, another thing to cause smells etc is excess fat/oil from cooking once again tip into a container when cool then wipe out the item with kitchen roll before washing.
Both of the above items are the main cause of smells in the grey tank

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
The Dilute Orange always worked for us any own brand will do....Own Brand sterilising fluid (as in Milton Fluid) is good too..I once used DAZ powder diluted it to around half a cup to a couple of pints of water poured it down each plug'ole..left it for a day when we were touring...sloshing around in the tank...got to a site and dumped it out smelt luvverlee...

village

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILD
Exp
we had this problem if you leave the tank lever open and let it breath between journeys seems to solve the problem

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back