Smelly washroom

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by stevec, Aug 3, 2014.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

Just had a weekend away and I'm noticing bad drain smells in the washroom (2006 Autocruise Starfire). Do the drains have traps in them to stop smells feeding back from the waste tank? If not is there any way to retro fit any?

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

3. Thefirstbritsbrother

Thefirstbritsbrother Read Only Funster

If you have traps you should be able to see them under the sink etc. I don't know about a retro fit no doubt somebody else will help you on that. However I always empty my waste tank and put a bottle of cheap "Lidl" coca cola down all the plug holes and let it slosh about in the tank for a while. It cleans the tank up and gets rid of the smell

• Like Like x 2
  4. stevec

stevec Funster

I've just noticed a long thread on here from a few years ago. Seems several things I can do. Some of them quite weird....but then it is Funsters so I shouldn't be surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I now put a splash of bio washing liquid down the drain after every emptying. Not very much, about half a capful at most. But first I had to clean the waste tank out by filling it up completely with a large dose of bio added then letting it stand overnight. I had to do this twice to get my tank full sensor, an led, to finally go out. The inside of the tank was plastered with crud I think but eventually the waste water ran clear after a good flushing out and all now smells of roses.

6. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

If you do have waste traps fitted they probably need topping up with some water during hot weather.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If you can access the grey tank service bung then tip in a couple of bags of supermarket ice and a bottle of cola then go for a drive on bendy roads.

The ice will dislodge thecrud and the cola will help break it down.

8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Cheap Cola is the way to clean the tank for sure... Its a miracle cleaner.. Also make sure you out the plugs in the shower and sinks when travellibg

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member