Smelly sink?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by acting_strange, Apr 21, 2011.

1. acting_strange

acting_strange

A smell seems to be emanating from our sink in the lunar...do I assume that the grey? water tank needs cleaning?

I have emtied it thoroughly after each use but have never cleaned it as I don't really know how....It looks as if the only way to fill it is via the sink?

Ant help gratefully received.

BTW...It's gorgeous down here at Two Mills in Norfolk...beautifully quiet..except for the head banging woodpeckers....lol

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

The easiest way I have found to clean the tank is to empty grey waste and pour in a couple of bottles of cheap Coke go for a ride then empty.

I often do this after a long trip on the way home, No problems since doing it.

3. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

i have bought some suger soap in a powder which i intend to pour down the sink pipes and add water before we go away at the weekend ,allowing it to slosh about in the gray tank, this should also dissolve any grease deposits in the tank and pipes

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The grey waste can pong quite a bit:BigGrin: I've used a mild disinfectant in it and it works OK, if you have to travel with grey in your tank, then make sure that you fit the plugs to your sinks and shower, that will stop the smell ruining your journey.:Smile:

Try to never let solids get into your grey tank, easier said than done, but rotting food does chuck up, We (OK Sian) wipes plates with a tissue before washing them up, this removes the solids like rice etc. bagging this stuff with your rubbish is far better that letting it into your grey tank. But if you don't want it in your rubbish, things like coffee grains, have eaten bowls of cereal, anything with any fat in it can go down the loo, as the cassette is emptied regularly and easily washed, this is better than the crud finding a low point in your tanks and sitting there, or clinging to the sides and and rotting

5. W18BLA

W18BLA Funster

We use blue-bio the toilet stuff and put a cap full down cleans pipes and tank works amazingly well,

Craig

6. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Try diluting orange juice just put it down the plug hole every now and again it work well for us as never had smell yet. We also try and do as Jim does sorry Sian does and try and take as much off the plates as possible.

Gerry

7. Terry

Terry Funster

Easy way to stop smells is fit a u-trap or if your pipe is long enough create a u-bend :Wink:
    terry

8. nokaii

nokaii Read Only Funster

I wonder why ubends are not fiited as standard it would only cost a few pence to manufaturers and save a lot of messing about for owners :Eek!:

Ours is a 1990's van so perhaps they are fitted nowadays

Karen

9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Stick one of these on your sinks and shower drains! This drainer has an integral water trap.

I will never understand why British MHs have the cheap and nasty standard caravan drains that let smells back into the van! We had to keep remembering to put our plugs back in on our old Elddis to avoid a stink.
    Our Chausson has them as standard and we never get any nasty wiffs!:BigGrin:

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ca...08/SMEV_25mm_Syphon_Double_Waste_fitting.aspx

By the way, you don't need to use both connections, the unit is supplied with a blank.

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

A cupfull of bio washing powder mixed with water every so often will kill the smell and clean the tank

Peter