Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
And so, it came to pass, that it was the last day of our stay in Kendal, and time to pack up, unplug the 240, and head for the 'ole in the deck, where the 'grey water' is glugged. Pipe on, tap open.........What the hell is that stink? Ahhhhhhhhhh, it's been raining. Must be the site septic tank a festering. Right, job done, and we head for the M6, but the smell is still there! A million stink bombs have gone off!
The realisation strikes hard, 'Sloopy' has a problem in the grey water tank dept.
And so today, I carefully removed the HUGE red screw plug in the back of the tank. Nothing, just a slight whiff. Time for the finger test, half expecting a layer of rotting gunge, but, apart for half an inch of water, it was clean. And so, the question......

What the hell do you do to stop that smell?? I thought of bleach, but really worried about bleach and pipe connections. Disinfectant perhaps?? Any tips will be most welcome!!
Dave. :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Fill up with water and a good dose of "Milton" or similar, and let it stand over night and then drain off..

Doe not hurt Baby`s bottles or Teats.. ::bigsmile:

Hope fully the smell would have gone... :thumb:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Mo. If your sure it dosent hurt teats, then it's a job for the wife!! :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bottle of cheap cola (coke) down the drainholes will help:thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would be hopeful that you have already 'dumped' the problem, if the smell is not so bad with the cover off.

As a matter of interest to me, was it a nice day when you left site? We have identified an issue with ours where we have an odour when driving with our front windows open, typically when pulling off site

Close them and problem goes

As for cleaning yours, I reckon Old Mo has that covered, although I have read posts suggesting dropping a bottle of fizzy pop through kitchen sink, then taking for a drive, not tried it myself

:thumb:

edit, just been beaten to same suggestion, used too many words!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would be hopeful that you have already 'dumped' the problem, if the smell is not so bad with the cover off.

As a matter of interest to me, was it a nice day when you left site? We have identified an issue with ours where we have an odour when driving with our front windows open, typically when pulling off site

Close them and problem goes

As for cleaning yours, I reckon Old Mo has that covered, although I have read posts suggesting dropping a bottle of fizzy pop through kitchen sink, then taking for a drive, not tried it myself

:thumb

edit, just ben beaten too same suggestion, used too many words!!

No, it was raining, we had the windows closed.....

In reality, this terrible smell is emitted as a by-product of millions of micro-organisms noshing away at any food refuse left in the tank, which in effect shows that the tank itself has a very healthy environment! It's working in the same way as an old fashioned septic tank, and farmers etc used to throw a dead crow or whatever into their tanks every three months or so, to help the little blighter's digest the other stuff.
Great in a septic tank, but not in a MH. To kill the stink, you use something, (Milton in this case), that kills the micro-thingies. A shame, but necessary to restore harmony with one's better half.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Best one of the week!!! Congrats, I will speak personally with the God Wyaye Wires to have you canonised!! ::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Bit of Milton, drive a bit then dump it in a laybye !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's what I would do.

Or just drive with the waste tap slightly open.

That saves the time having to stop.

Lovely clean smelling empty tank when you get home:thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's what I would do.

Or just drive with the waste tap slightly open.

That saves the time having to stop.

Lovely clean smelling empty tank when you get home:thumb:

No Chris, that is totally and utterly wrong... how could you even suggest it? You've seen the threads about dribbling grey waste on the road. All the bikers on here will take a contract out on you

What you are supposed to do is to dump it on the hard standing on the campsite - it soaks in really well and as a bonus leaves a strange smell to annoy the tuggers who next use the pitch and put up their awning right on top of it.

If not on a hard standing then simply do the same - as the tent campers will put their tent up on the same spot:thumb:

Simples!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
There is,of course,a proprietary product ::bigsmile:

Thetford grey waste tank freshener-it does work,and also cleans grease etc from plugholes and pipes.

Mike

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Slightly more seriously, the cheap coke works (the price of class A drugs has really come down that much) but seems to be a waste..... I've also used soda crystals - cheap packet from Aldi which also works.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Milton is just a very mild (but expensive) bleach -buy a 29 p 2 ltr bottle of thin bleach and use some of that instead :winky:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As said.. fill and clean with bleach..

Grey tanks will always smell.. you can clean it today and it will be foul tomorrow .. but I'm puzzled why the smell gets back into the van..

Do your drains not have traps on them ? If not then fitting would cure the problem .. or is the smell just coming from dirty pipes/traps ?

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As said.. fill and clean with bleach..

Grey tanks will always smell.. you can clean it today and it will be foul tomorrow .. but I'm puzzled why the smell gets back into the van..

Do your drains not have traps on them ? If not then fitting would cure the problem .. or is the smell just coming from dirty pipes/traps ?

The sinks do have traps Jim....of a sort. They have half turn caps on the bottom for cleaning. They are not very deep, (as the British ones are), but I dont think there is the room to fit Brit units. Thanks again for the bleach tip though. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The sinks do have traps Jim....of a sort. They have half turn caps on the bottom for cleaning. They are not very deep, (as the British ones are), but I dont think there is the room to fit Brit units. Thanks again for the bleach tip though. :thumb:

that's probably the problem.. changing them would be the long term solution..

there are several caravan ones on the market.. something like this..

!Bv-ij+wBmk~$(KGrHqF,!jcEv1+0!tPkBMG3D41mR!~~_1.JPG

also try googling removable shower trap

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
that's probably the problem.. changing them would be the long term solution..

there are several caravan ones on the market.. something like this..

!Bv-ij+wBmk~$(KGrHqF,!jcEv1+0!tPkBMG3D41mR!~~_1.JPG

also try googling removable shower trap

That's pretty much what we have at present, Jim. The only other thing I can think of as a source smell is the tank breather pipe, with the wind blowing the smell in from underneath......

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
*DING* Penny just dropped!! We dont use the truck shower at the mo......And the trap in that must be dry!!

Will check this out and let you know!!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
why not just put the drain plugs in the sinks and shower after draining the tank and before driving off. simples

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
why not just put the drain plugs in the sinks and shower after draining the tank and before driving off. simples

:thumb: However, not in my job description! That job falls under of the category 'Wife, MH for the use of '

Good idea though. I must write it into her CV. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back