Smells

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mags52, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We get a lot of smells from our wash room and I'm fed up with it! :Blush: The waste tank keeps belching smells up from the shower waste and I keep putting Fenwicks waste cleaner down it but it only lasts a couple of days. I rinsed the whole water system out with Milton a few weeks ago and that only lasted a short time too. Also, the loo gets smelly. We used bio washing liquid for months then in desperation I went back to blue liquid but it's still smelly! I bought a new toilet seat and holding tank from Thetford and I've steam cleaned everything.
    We never had this problem in the caravan and I'm starting to wonder if there's a wee (literally) leak somewhere from the loo going down into the floor - the very idea gives me the creeps.
    Could there be something nasty going on that we can't see or am I just being too fussy?
    Any thoughts?
    Mags

2. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Check the black waste tank mounting frame .
    The loo seal may have leaked over the old tank and run under the support frame :Eeek:-- and there it sits festering.
    Spray some antibacterial sprays all around inside the Thetford:thumb:

3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

You have to face it Mags

your sh1t stinks:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  4. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

If you drain the grey tank and flush some water through it, and then thoroughly clean the toilet unit, and then don't use anything for a week do you still have the smell?

I'm just thinking it computer bug detection terms and figure a full reboot might help you to start eliminating the cause.

If the smell does go completely during the week, or is much reduced, it might then be possible to just use the water and make do with campsite toilets for a day or two, to see if the smell returns. If it doesn't then it is safe to say it is a toilet issue. Bug detected :)

And if smell returns after reboot and just using water (i.e. before using toilet) then it is safe to say it is a waste water issue and not a toilet issue.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Mags can you make a bend in the waste pipe to make a u bend -smells do not go through water :Wink:
    terry

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

put the plug in the sink and a wet flannel over the shower drain.
    thats the grey waste sorted.

if the seal on the cassette is in good order it cant leak or release odours.
    if it is damaged it will leak liquid when being carried to the elsan point....unless you carry it flat in both hands.
    only thing i can thing is at some point it has been overfilled and spilt into the cassette compartment...but that should be plastic and watertight anyway so easy to clean out..

7. landscaper

landscaper Funster

We always travel with the plugs in the kitchen and washroom sinks and use a egg cupful of bleach everytime we empty the grey waste tank - works for us. Sorry no idea about the toilet!

8. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I hope you haven't got a dead mouse or rat carcass somewhere:Eeek:

9. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

Smelly washroom

We have a swift kontiki 18 months old we also are getting smells from the wash room. I cleaned under the toilet tank the smell did go away this was whilst in Italy recently but did return I wondered if it was the hot weather but not so sure ? :Sad:

10. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Comment about the mouse is a possibility but is it dead
    I had may still have one in the MH cleaned everything as smell was coming from the toilet cassette locker
    MH was in today and they took the whole cassette out and I would never have believe how much mouse wee and poo was UNDER the cassette
    The smell was terrible

11. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

As far as water outlets are concerned, any traps in your waste systems will dry out very quickly in hot weather; the pipework used is pretty small and doesn't hold much water. You need to prime the traps on a very regular basis. Also, you could buy plugs for all the outlets.

12. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Used to get a similar problem every now and again in our old van. The sink and shower would smell - I did use a cheap drain cleaner (from poundland I think, on the basis that being it was cheap, would be weak and do the job eventually without damaging the pipes)

It actually worked very well, and would last for a good month or so before building up again. In the end I bit the bullet on a sunny day, got beneath and cleaned all the pipes and traps - they were clogged up to high heaven! Once they were cleared - never had a problem again, but did still occasionally blast some cleaner down!

13. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

After reading all the advice I gave the loo a massive clean out inside and out and the cassette locker then went out for the evening. Came back to a nasty drain smell so it's obviously the waste tank. When I'm feeling brave I'll get underneath to clean out the pipes but in the meantime will keep putting cleaning fluid down.
    Thanks folks
    M

14. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Mags
    Try putting a couple of 2 ltr bottles of coke down the sinks with a drop of water, after a run should bring a lot of rubbish out of the tank. Pete :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

decaying mice dont smell for very long....rats on the other hand :Eeek:

16. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

smelly tanks

Smelly tanks seem to be a recurring theme!

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/top-ti...tml#post777446

Put to the test yesterday when I flushed out a whole lot of muck that had been washed down the kitchen sink by my family when they borrowed it for a family festival recently! I really blessed this modification I made!!

17. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

18. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

It cant be coming from the grey tank. I have read loads of posts on here that grey water is clean and does not smell :Doh:. It has to be a toilet issue :Smile:.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

LOL Snowbird - but it is the tank. :Smile:
    I'm going to try the coke option next, thanks Peter. I assume cheap coke works just as well... does it have to be the sugary stuff?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terry

Terry Funster

OK SO if it's a loo issue leave about an inch or two of water in the loo basin -if it's still there after a day then you have illiminated the loo,and established the seal is good :BigGrin:
    terry