Smell in the camper!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by slverdreamers, Jan 21, 2011.

1. slverdreamers

slverdreamers Read Only Funster

We brought the camper back to our house just before xmas and plugged in the electric after the freezin weather,when we went into the camper there was an awful smell. Couldn't find what it was. We have just come back from first trip of the year and found the smell! A jar of fish soup brought in France last year, at the back of the cupboard - it must have frozen and thawed and cracked.

We have alde heating and a double of floor. I took the back of the cupboards off and there nestling between the rear back wheels was a congeaed mess of yuck. We have cleaned it out but I think the watery part of it must have dripped down into the double floor at the back of waste tank. There is still a bit of a smell but not so bad. Am going to try and unscrew some of the floor, but it is behind the cooker any ideas would be welcome. Just a thought check any jars you have, we have never had anything like this all the 15 years we have been motohoming
    regards Peter & Glynis

2. brodie

brodie Funster

Oh no it couldn't have been anything worse could it? Good luck with the clean up operation.

3. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Bugger, I think is sort of the work your looking for, but a good reminder!

We've had our Winne nearly two years now and we're still finding odd bits and bobs that have fallen behind cupboards etc, thankfully no foody type things:thumb:

We sometime leave the likes of beer in the van if there is a short break between use and have taken to putting it in the shower just in case, otherwise food and beer removed at this time of year.

Good luck with the cleaning and smell removal:thumb:

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ouch, :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Lots of people have been caught out this winter with the very low temperatures, last week someone was telling us about exploding coke cans leaving a sticky mess everywhere. Mind you, sticky is one thing, a fishy smell is another:Eeek:, I hope you can get rid of it eventually

5. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Unlucky Silverdreamers. :Sad:

The temperature inside our MH during that really bas spell went as low as -6, without the little oil fired radiator.
    I am just glad now, that Rita removed the big jar of pickled beetroot. Phew. :Wink:

Hope you manage to get it all sorted.

Cheers,

Jock.

6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

What a nightmare nothing worse, thank you for the warning will check all bottles left in motorhome now. Would it be worth spraying freebreze everywhere as you go around as a second back up after cleaning.

7. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

Could be exploding Fray Bentos Pies :Smile:

8. brodie

brodie Funster

I think you can get neutrodol in a powder version you could try and sprinkle some of that down the gaps too if they are big enough

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

pour a pint of full cream milk over the floor and leave a few days...that should disguise the smell :Rofl1:

10. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

There is ALWAYS ONE isn't there:Doh:

11. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Once you have got rid of the cause if the smell lingers you can purchase a smoke bomb which neutralises bad smells and leaves a nice one,

You just set one of these off leave for 24h and job done, i didn't believe the claims until we bought what we thought was a very cheap van in an auction (my business partner at the time had a tendency to by sight unseen) well there was a reason it was cheap the one owner turned out to be a fishmonger but it worked no smell atidy profit.

hope this helps

Rick.

12. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

There's nothing worse than the smell of rotting fish. It reminded me of the story of the story of the couple who went through an acrimonious split and the husband moved his new partner into the house. Immediately afterwards a real bad smell developed causing the new couple to progressively strip the house - replacing the carpets, furniture and so forth when steam cleaning and deodorising didn't work. They spent a fortune and still the smell was there - and getting worse.

Eventually they even got round to replacing the curtains and fittings - and that's when the smell stopped. It turned out his ex had slipped a raw prawn into the hollow curtain rail before she left !!

13. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Wish i had thought of that.dint do nearly enough to wreak my revenge.

14. slverdreamers

slverdreamers Read Only Funster

Bas Dmell

Thanks for all the replies, have brought febreze plus a bottle of the stuff you freshen up popourri with, we are going to take out the floor to the cupboard now and hopefully reach the source. It has evan made all our clothes smell. Any way if you see a Dethleffs A9 PWB you might want to give us a wide berth.
    Regards