Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
We brought the camper back to our house just before xmas and plugged in the electric after the freezin weather,when we went into the camper there was an awful smell. Couldn't find what it was. We have just come back from first trip of the year and found the smell! A jar of fish soup brought in France last year, at the back of the cupboard - it must have frozen and thawed and cracked.

We have alde heating and a double of floor. I took the back of the cupboards off and there nestling between the rear back wheels was a congeaed mess of yuck. We have cleaned it out but I think the watery part of it must have dripped down into the double floor at the back of waste tank. There is still a bit of a smell but not so bad. Am going to try and unscrew some of the floor, but it is behind the cooker any ideas would be welcome. Just a thought check any jars you have, we have never had anything like this all the 15 years we have been motohoming
regards Peter & Glynis

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Oh no it couldn't have been anything worse could it? Good luck with the clean up operation.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Bugger, I think is sort of the work your looking for, but a good reminder!

We've had our Winne nearly two years now and we're still finding odd bits and bobs that have fallen behind cupboards etc, thankfully no foody type things:thumb:

We sometime leave the likes of beer in the van if there is a short break between use and have taken to putting it in the shower just in case, otherwise food and beer removed at this time of year.

Good luck with the cleaning and smell removal:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ouch, :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Lots of people have been caught out this winter with the very low temperatures, last week someone was telling us about exploding coke cans leaving a sticky mess everywhere. Mind you, sticky is one thing, a fishy smell is another:Eeek:, I hope you can get rid of it eventually

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Unlucky Silverdreamers. :Sad:

The temperature inside our MH during that really bas spell went as low as -6, without the little oil fired radiator.
I am just glad now, that Rita removed the big jar of pickled beetroot. Phew. :winky:

Hope you manage to get it all sorted.

Cheers,

Jock.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a nightmare nothing worse, thank you for the warning will check all bottles left in motorhome now. Would it be worth spraying freebreze everywhere as you go around as a second back up after cleaning.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Ouch, :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Lots of people have been caught out this winter with the very low temperatures, last week someone was telling us about exploding coke cans leaving a sticky mess everywhere. Mind you, sticky is one thing, a fishy smell is another:Eeek:, I hope you can get rid of it eventually

Could be exploding Fray Bentos Pies :Smile:

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I think you can get neutrodol in a powder version you could try and sprinkle some of that down the gaps too if they are big enough

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
pour a pint of full cream milk over the floor and leave a few days...that should disguise the smell :ROFLMAO:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Once you have got rid of the cause if the smell lingers you can purchase a smoke bomb which neutralises bad smells and leaves a nice one,

You just set one of these off leave for 24h and job done, i didn't believe the claims until we bought what we thought was a very cheap van in an auction (my business partner at the time had a tendency to by sight unseen) well there was a reason it was cheap the one owner turned out to be a fishmonger but it worked no smell atidy profit.

hope this helps

Rick.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
We brought the camper back to our house just before xmas and plugged in the electric after the freezin weather,when we went into the camper there was an awful smell. Couldn't find what it was. We have just come back from first trip of the year and found the smell! A jar of fish soup brought in France last year, at the back of the cupboard - it must have frozen and thawed and cracked.

We have alde heating and a double of floor. I took the back of the cupboards off and there nestling between the rear back wheels was a congeaed mess of yuck. We have cleaned it out but I think the watery part of it must have dripped down into the double floor at the back of waste tank. There is still a bit of a smell but not so bad. Am going to try and unscrew some of the floor, but it is behind the cooker any ideas would be welcome. Just a thought check any jars you have, we have never had anything like this all the 15 years we have been motohoming
regards Peter & Glynis

There's nothing worse than the smell of rotting fish. It reminded me of the story of the story of the couple who went through an acrimonious split and the husband moved his new partner into the house. Immediately afterwards a real bad smell developed causing the new couple to progressively strip the house - replacing the carpets, furniture and so forth when steam cleaning and deodorising didn't work. They spent a fortune and still the smell was there - and getting worse.

Eventually they even got round to replacing the curtains and fittings - and that's when the smell stopped. It turned out his ex had slipped a raw prawn into the hollow curtain rail before she left !!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Wish i had thought of that.dint do nearly enough to wreak my revenge.

OP
OP
S

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Bas Dmell

Thanks for all the replies, have brought febreze plus a bottle of the stuff you freshen up popourri with, we are going to take out the floor to the cupboard now and hopefully reach the source. It has evan made all our clothes smell. Any way if you see a Dethleffs A9 PWB you might want to give us a wide berth.
Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back